No announcement yet.

Anyone cycle to work? Bike buying advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I've been looking around and this bike seems to tick most of the boxes? It's just missing some mud guards. I'll be using the cycle to work scheme so any bike I get will have to be via Evans Cycles.

Would this be worth purchasing?

Comment

Looks pretty nice but I don't know my bikes all that well.

One other piece of advice from my perspective though: get your bike serviced very regularly. I have a bog-standard Giant that's probably 15 years old now. Every time I get it serviced, it's like getting a brand new bike back and it just keeps on going. It looks pretty old so there is no motivation to steal it but it runs like a dream for the most part.

Edit: Oh, one thing on that bike - the saddle looks like a razor blade. Keep in mind your plan is to do city cycling. You probably want ease and comfort rather than what's right for racing, am I right? If so, you might want to go for a big saddle or get one of those nice padded gel covers.
      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 12-08-2019, 10:58.

Comment

I'd get a years worth of free servicing so I'll definitely be taking advantage of that.

It is just for city cycling mostly and down the canals/countryside at the weekends so a more comfortable seat would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
          OK, I've been looking around and this bike seems to tick most of the boxes? It's just missing some mud guards. I'll be using the cycle to work scheme so any bike I get will have to be via Evans Cycles.

You shouldn't be restricted to Evans, loads of cycle places are in the Cycle to Work scheme, most of them I'd imagine. Don't feel like you HAVE to give money to Mike Ashley! Don't forget also that the CtW scheme also covers accessories, so you can get a bike, a decent lock, a helmet, mudguards and some lights and get it all tax free. Unless your workplace is using some Evans-exclusive scheme with different terms, but that'd be weird.

Bike looks okay, I ride a Trek and I love it. Hybrid's gonna be a bit heavier than a road bike would be, so it might drag a bit up those really steep hills but I guess you can always get off and walk unless they're a mile long! You probably want to go hybrid if you're using it for canals/countryside rides so it looks like your best choice short of going electric.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Trek stuff.

Don't worry about the saddle. It will be fine.

Comment

Looks like a really decent bike good choice, don't worry about the weight compared to a road bike, I used to ride a racer but when I switched to mountain the flat bars (for me at least) were far better for the traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

I see there's a Canondale reduced, that would be a better choice if you can stretch it. Though as Charles said, Trek make good bikes.

Personally I'd always go for hydraulic disc brakes, but then again I'm primarily a mountain biker but I've found road riding because of idiot pedestrians and drivers, being able to stop on a dime is very important. They may take you up too high in the price range unfortunately.

Comment

Cheers everyone. They do sell the bike with hydraulic disc brakes but it's £550 and my vouchers are £600. Considering the accessories I need to buy (locks, helmet, high vis...etc) I don't think I could stretch to it unfortuantely.

Comment

For those of you that were freaking out about the thread title, it's OK to come back to the forum, for I have fixed it. Safe space restored.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      For those of you that were freaking out about the thread title, it's OK to come back to the forum, for I have fixed it. Safe space restored.
                      Did I miss something? What happened with the title?

Comment

You put advise instead of advice

Comment

I was the only person who noticed probably.

Comment

Gah, I completely missed it!

Comment

I just want to say thanks again for all of the help. I picked up the bike today, ended up going for the 2019 Trek FX3 with hydraulic disc brakes so a little more expensive but I figured it would be worth it for the frequent wet weather.

I rode it home today and despite initially being terrified of drivers on the road it seemed to go well. It did show me just how out of shape I am though... christ, but it should get easier as time goes by.

Manchester is more hilly than I thought but is there anything better than speeding down a steep hill with the wind in your face? I've missed that.

Thanks again!

Comment

Post of the day

Comment

Working...
                                X