No announcement yet.

Anyone cycle to work? Bike buying advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one Cepp, well done on getting the bike and happy for you that you are made up with your choice.

If you want any more help with backpacks, cleaning, maintenance etc please ask away.

Comment

C'mon, man. Pics!

Comment

Alright, here it is when I picked it up. It feels great to ride but I did end up buying a seat cushion thing, my arse was killing after my first ride home.

I actually made my first trip to and from work today and it was a bit of a trial by fire.

I fell off my bike three times on the way in and once on the way back...

The first fall was near my house. You have to go down a mud track to reach the main road and part of it is quite steep. I braked to slow down but stopped completely and went over the handle bars. I need to find a better route to that road tbh, even if it takes a little longer.

The second time I was behind a bus on Bury Old Road. I should have gone round it to the right but I'm still a little nervous of drivers so I decided to go on the pavement instead. I tried to go up the kerb and failed basically lol.

The third time was near work at the bottom of Market Street. I was riding down the tram lines when another cyclist in front of me suddenly stopped. I went to go round him but my wheel got caught in the track causing the bike to lock up. That was fun but on the plus side a lot of people came to see if I was alright. Not the cyclist though, he looked back once and then ****ed off.

On the way back things were going a lot better. I was being more cautious, cycled through Heaton Park which was really nice actually; I'm going to do that every day. Anyway, back near where the first road meets the mud track there’s a steep hill. As I was going down it I noticed a ton of unused road surface gravel on the road near the kerb. I tried to slow down and get out of it, failed, crashed and slid down the gravel.

So yeah, lots of scrapes which isn't too bad. I'm pretty sure I've sprained my left arm though, hopefully it'll be OK by Monday.

The cycling itself is really fun and I got a massive endorphin boost when I arrived at work which is great because I do deal with depression. The bike held up like a champ as well and I'm slowly learning which roads are the best for cycling on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
          The second time I was behind a bus on Bury Old Road. I should have gone round it to the right but I'm still a little nervous of drivers so I decided to go on the pavement instead. I tried to go up the kerb and failed basically lol
          Sure you weren't on a scooter!

Anyway, sorry to hear about the bumps and scrapes, glad you are ok. Bike looks smart, like the forks and tyres - some decent tread by the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
            Sure you weren't on a scooter!

Anyway, sorry to hear about the bumps and scrapes, glad you are ok. Bike looks smart, like the forks and tyres - some decent tread by the looks of it.
            Yikes! I stop at every red light, I'm not chancing it lol.

Yeah I'm really pleased with the bike itself

Comment

lol, getting into it hardcore from day one.

On the roads, just assume everyone will a) try and kill you, b) do something erratic and stupid. Then you'll be ok.

Comment

I really wanted the full biking experience

My left arm's still a bit buggered (can't fully straightem it) so I'll have to get the bus next week I think. A small setback but I'll be back on it soon enough.

Comment

Practice braking hard. It might save you. I always test the brakes excessively a couple of times every time I ride, to test the surface grip and brakes

Comment

Working...
                  X