Retro Arena: Classic 16-bit era platformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    That's how I see stuff like Castle of Illusion, Quack Shot, Ristar etc, I spent loads of my gaming youth playing them and they're fun in their own ways but absolutely no competition for the above.
    As much as I've always really liked Castle of Illusion and QuackShot, they're not not quite in the top tier with extra special games like Super Mario World and the Sonic series. I think all the games listed are classic examples of 16-bit platformers at their finest, but only a few are what I'd consider to be solid gold classics that still feel 100% fresh.

Yoshi's Island though... it's good but there are plenty Mario games I'd play over it. It's just not as satisfying an experience and feels like a quality spin-off more than anything else.
    I've always appreciated the finer qualities of Yoshi's Island, but I've never felt the same enthusiasm about it as I do the Super Mario series. It's definitely a special game, but I just don't enjoy the platforming action as much as what's found in games like Super Mario Bros 3 & 4.

That leaves my addition, DKC2. I loved DKC but the sequel was easily the better game and has some lovely visuals, music and levels.
    I've played a bit of DKC2 over the years, but I've never devoted much time to it. I remember all the fanfare surrounding the first DKC -- and I ended up really enjoying it. So I definitely regard DKC as one of the best 16-bit platformers. Sounds like I really should sit down and get into DK2.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-08-2019, 17:22.

Comment

If you enjoyed the first one then the second is a slam dunk experience. The third game is good too but you get a very quick sense of where corners were cut and how much lower its budget must have been thanks to how late a SNES game it was.

Comment

If you enjoyed the first one then the second is a slam dunk experience.
        I probably would have bought it back in the day if it hadn't been released so late[1995] when I was into the 3DO, Saturn and PlayStation. I did buy Yoshi's Island that year though, because I thought it looked really interesting. I don't think I was in the mood for more DKC.

I will bung #2 on my SNES Mini and see what I think. Should really like it, seeing I still enjoy the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          As much as I've always really liked Castle of Illusion and QuackShot, they're not not quite in the top tier with extra special games like Super Mario World and the Sonic series. I think all the games listed are classic examples of 16-bit platformers at their finest, but only a few are what I'd consider to be solid gold classics that still feel 100% fresh.
          I couldn't disagree with you more. Quackshot is a gem and right up there with Mario IV, Revenge Of Shinobi and Castlevania IV

To me the Sonic and Donky Kong country games are overrated; take away their gfx and sound and you're left with very simple games. To me stuff like Mario, Quackshot, Castlevania IV and Revenge (which was almost up there for Mario IV perfection were better games)

Comment

I'm also in the DKC is overrated camp. It looked OK BITD on a wee TV via RF or composite. It's not even a decent game let alone a great game IMHO although the music is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              I couldn't disagree with you more. Quackshot is a gem and right up there with Mario IV, Revenge Of Shinobi and Castlevania IV
              I would agree that it's a really good platformer, but it's not quite up there with my firm favourites such as SMW and Sonic 1 & 2. Although, I do consider it to be a classic alongside Castle of Illusion and many of the other gems listed.

Donky Kong country games are overrated
              I'd take Castle of Illusion and QuackShot over DKC, but I'm definitely fond of RARE's game. I really like the graphics, some of the music is great, and it plays really well. It has solid gameplay to go alongside the impressive visuals.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              I'm also in the DKC is overrated camp. It looked OK BITD on a wee TV via RF or composite. It's not even a decent game let alone a great game IMHO although the music is great.
              I still think it looks good on the SNES Mini, using a scaler, or on original hardware using a CRT. The only way it looks dodgy is direct into an LCD.

But I would never say it has the visual finesse of something like Sonic or SMW. No, it's a bit rough around the edges. Despite that, I really like the overall visual design and creativity. It's quite a simple game, but it has good design and plays really well.

I do think SMW and the Sonic games stand the test of time better though. SMW doesn't age; Sonic is still incredibly attractive. The visuals in both look really clean and pop off the screen.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-08-2019, 17:23.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                Yep, one of the most overrated games of all time ..Take away the gfx and the game is boring and so simple . Not the biggest fans of the Sonic 2D games either , it was more about the Gfx with them too

Comment

I would agree that it's a really good platformer, but it's not quite up there with my firm favourites such as SMW and Sonic 1 & 2. Although, I do consider it to be a classic alongside Castle of Illusion and many of the other gems listed.

I'd take Castle of Illusion and QuackShot over DKC, but I'm definitely fond of RARE's game. I really like the graphics, some of the music is great, and it plays really well. It has solid gameplay to go alongside the impressive visuals.
                  I love Quackshot it's an MD gem that never got the attention and recognition it deserves. So much better than the Sonic games and Donky Kong Country games .

Revenge Of Shinobi is my fav MD platform game , it's almost up there with Mario IV for platform perfection. Nothing beats Mario IV I used to fake sickness so I could play it all day and not have to work.

Comment

I’ve never liked the Donkey Kong Country games... they were an impressive technical feat on the SNES, but the gameplay just wasn’t there for me. Tried the Wii one and didn’t like that either.

Comment

See, I see DKC as being perhaps overly simple in its approach to platforming but DKC2 upped the challenge enough to evidence solid design was also in the mix. Castle of Illusion and Quackshot were alright but I always viewed their high quality as being more a reflection of the general quality of other Disney etc platformers of the era rather than the top tier. Take CoI, it's a very standard, plodding platformer really. Better than its siblings but not to be mentioned in the same breath as Mario World etc. Quackshot was solid, more a case of better than expected, but inferior to Castle.

Comment

I love Quackshot it's an MD gem that never got the attention and recognition it deserves.
                        I bought it because of good reviews and enticing screenshots. Turned out to be one of my favourites MD games -- I love the graphics and overall design.

Revenge Of Shinobi is my fav MD platform game
                        I'd say it's an 'action' game more than a straight platformer. The same with Rocket Knight/Sparkster. I have old school thinking when it comes to genres, so I have all sorts of game categories in my head.

Nothing beats Mario IV I used to fake sickness so I could play it all day and not have to work.
                        I love how slick the gameplay feels, so it's fun to go back to time and time again. I never get bored of going through it.

It's on a 4mb cart, so it's a shame we didn't get a true sequel on a 16-32mb cart that's full of new content. Yoshi's Island is really good, but the I prefer the platforming action in SMW.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                        they were an impressive technical feat on the SNES, but the gameplay just wasn’t there for me.
                        I think DKC plays really smoothly, so that's an important feature RARE got right. Lots of platformers just don't feel right, but DKC has no problems in that department. It's a simple game, but the well crafted graphics and music create a really captivating atmosphere.

It definitely does its own thing though, so not everyone is going to like it. Not everyone likes Super Mario games, Sonic, Bonk etc... Each has their distinct look and feel that won't gel with everyone.

Castle of Illusion and Quackshot were alright but I always viewed their high quality as being more a reflection of the general quality of other Disney etc platformers of the era rather than the top tier.
                        For me, Castle of Illusion and QuackShot are better than other Disney games that weren't developed by Sega. A lot of Disney games looked good but felt a bit generic and maybe quite boring to play. I think Sega did wonders with its Disney licenses. Castle of Illusion is my favourite of the two though, as I prefer what it offers overall.

When it comes to platformers in general, I'm definitely a big fan of the Super Mario games. That's the sort of slick platforming action that really grabs me.

Comment

I'd say it's an 'action' game more than a straight platformer. The same with Rocket Knight/Sparkster. I have old school thinking when it comes to genres, so I have all sorts of game categories in my head. .
                          That's fair enough, but given the amount of Platform jumping one needed to do in Revenge, to me its a Platform game and the closest SEGA ever got to Mario IV perfection in the 16 bit days

Comment

but given the amount of Platform jumping one needed to do in Revenge, to me its a Platform game and the closest SEGA ever got to Mario IV perfection in the 16 bit days
                            I think there can be a fine line between 'action' 'run-'n-gun' 'hack & slash' and 'platforming'. Plenty of 2D games are focused on running and jumping, but it doesn't mean they're necessarily platformers. For example -- I personally wouldn't call Castlevania games "platformers."

Maybe I'm being a bit strict, but I like specific categories of games. That's the way it was in the 80s and 90s -- people could appreciate nuances.

Comment

Not a platform game for me, neither. I consider the likes of Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Castlevania, Strider, E-SWAT etc to be arcade/action games. I get that RoS has more platform elements than its peers but still too much fighting and shuriken throwing for it to be a pure platformer. It’s a bit like Turrican in the sense it has a lot of platform jumping yet it’s still a run ‘n’ gun game to me.

Comment

I think there can be a fine line between 'action' 'run-'n-gun' 'hack & slash' and 'platforming'. Plenty of 2D games are focused on running and jumping, but it doesn't mean they're necessarily platformers. For example -- I personally wouldn't call Castlevania games "platformers."
                                Yeah, some would be hard to categorise in that regard. Some Castlevanias have plenty of platforming so I don't think I could argue against someone calling them platformers but I don't think I'd put them in that category either.

Comment

Working...
                                X