The Parallax scrolling gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    and the game looks almost 2.5D-esque a la Clockwork Knight.
    Was Clockwork Knight any good? I've never played it despite being a big Saturn fan. I remember it getting a lot of stick on release from the magazines, but when I think about it now, some of the UK reviewers were really dismissive of any 2D games at this time, so I don't know if it was genuinely poor or actually quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      Forgot one more...

Robocod for the Game Gear. Not only is it full-screen parallax, but what’s really impressive is also how fast and smooth the scrolling is. Strangely the Master System version doesn’t have parallax. Perhaps it was developed earlier or is there some sort of hardware exploit on the Game Gear that isn’t on Master System hardware? I thought the two were identical other than lower resolution, double on-screen colours, and stereo sound on the GG?
      IIRC the GG only has a larger master palette of 4096 colours versus the 64 available on the MS. Both have up to 32 colours on screen. I would guess the effect in the GG version of Robocod would be to do with the lower resolution meaning less sprites and tiles used so freeing up some space in the video memory for the extra background tiles.

Comment

Saw this thread and immediately thought of the T2 Arcade gun game.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Saw this thread and immediately thought of the T2 Arcade gun game.

https://youtu.be/HZ0Nfan4MHk
          That time when Midway were using that font with rainbow cycles and digitised sprites and voices. Games like Narc, NBA Jam, Smash TV (not digitised sprites). Any more? Read derail imminent

Comment

When the action goes above the trees.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-08-2019, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              He'd get to that incident faster if he wasn't crab walking sidewards
              'Strider' is certainly a misleading title. 'Sidler' would have been a better fit.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                'Strider' is certainly a misleading title. 'Sidler' would have been a better fit.
                Sidler? Is that a right-handed, fast-medium paced ball?

(Cue cricket reference after Stokes’s heroics yesterday)
                Last edited by samanosuke; 26-08-2019, 08:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  When the action goes above the trees.
                  When I was a kid, I always wanted Ranger-X. Happy I didn't get it now; I would've found it infuriatingly difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    When I was a kid, I always wanted Ranger-X. Happy I didn't get it now; I would've found it infuriatingly difficult.
                    It's a tricky game to get to grips with, but worth persevering with. If a game impressed me as a kid, I'd spend loads of time trying to master it. Used to be crazily good at some games. But I had friends who hated games that didn't offer everything on a plate. Most games made one of my really impatient friends feel....

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      Most games made one of my really impatient friends feel....
                      Very impatient kid here. I think if I had started out with a cassette loading computer, I probably would've done something else with my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Very impatient kid here. I think if I had started out with a cassette loading computer, I probably would've done something else with my life.
                        I used to read a mag or listen to music whilst cassette games were loading. Had to also have a bag of crisps to ease the boredom.

When I got an Amiga, the loading times from disks was faster, but some games still took ages to load. Slow, noisy loading definitely spoiled the Amiga experience.

It was another great reason to be a console gamer.

Comment

Gley Lancer. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            Gley Lancer. Awesome.
                            The music is also awesome.

Comment

More PC Engine magic.

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

Working...