Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did retailers re-seal PAL Dreamcast games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did retailers re-seal PAL Dreamcast games?

I have a few sealed PAL Dreamcast games -- some have the factory 'seal strip' and some are just tightly sealed without the usual strip.

I bought them all quite cheap at the end of the Dreamcast's life. Did some retailers remove the factory seal then shrink wrap them again when they sold them?

The thing is -- I know the games without the 'seal strip' are mint, so I don't want to sell them as 'used'. I'd obviously discount them due to not having the seal strip, but I don't want to sell them at the average used price.

Any info appreciated.

Gamestation shops used to have shink wrapping equipment. That being said, it wasn't normally used on individual games. Still, it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Gamestation shops used to have shink wrapping equipment. That being said, it wasn't normally used on individual games. Still, it's possible.
      I was thinking that some shops liked to put the discs in drawers, so they'd have to remove the factory seal. Then maybe they shrink wrapped them for mail order items.

I don't want to sell the games as 'used' with all the stuff that has scratched cases and discs. It's a tough one, because I know I'm being honest that the games are 'mint' and haven't ever been used, but obviously buyers can be suspicious that I'm maybe re-sealing used games. I'm definitely not selling the few that I have as 'factory sealed' .. so I'm charging quite a bit less for them.

Maybe I'll just have to sell the shrink wrapped(without the seal strip) games as 'used but in mint condition', even if I'll be giving people unused mint games for the same sort of price as a game with scratches etc... It's annoying because one of them is worth over £100 factory sealed, but I'll probably only get £50 for it because the retailer happened to remove the factory seal and shrink wrap it again.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-08-2019, 21:36.

Comment

I bought one like that before. No disc.

Comment

Back when I worked in HMV we used to take out all discs and manuals from console games then re-shrink wrap the boxes. We did this because of all the thieving ****s.
          So I would imagine near the end of the Dreamcast's life the retailer would just put everything back in to the box, seal it up and put it on to the shelf.

Comment

Some games may have simply been packaged that way as they were packed by hand , with leaflets and inserts etc being changed.
            Those games will almost universally be packaged in shrink wrap, so their should be some knowledge of that.

I know when I worked in GAME they would shrink wrap the manual and disc together and keep them outside of the boxes. This was because for 99% of titles they had no display cases and obviously didn’t want to leave the easily steal-able stock out. It was only ever the last few copies that were on the shelf life this however

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Back when I worked in HMV we used to take out all discs and manuals from console games then re-shrink wrap the boxes. We did this because of all the thieving ****s.
              Yeah, I was thinking that's why they're not factory sealed. It's just a shame that it means people will see my perfectly minty games as 'used' when they're not. Without the 'seal strip' they're just not worth anywhere near as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                Yeah, I was thinking that's why they're not factory sealed. It's just a shame that it means people will see my perfectly minty games as 'used' when they're not. Without the 'seal strip' they're just not worth anywhere near as much.
                Yeah, ultimately I think you've got to consider them as "used", even if in a sense, they're new.

Thinking about Yakumo's post, there were times we had games, boxed, on shelves in the back, because we just had so many copies. This was around the Dreamcast era too. It's not much of a stretch to say that late in the machine's life, with Dreamcast game boxes having such fragile corners, a shop might've shrink-wrapped them to keep them together. Are they common games, like Soul Calibur or Sonic Adventure?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  So I would imagine near the end of the Dreamcast's life the retailer would just put everything back in to the box, seal it up and put it on to the shelf.
                  My local Woolworths used to that with Mega CD and Mega Drive games. I remember buying Battle Outrun for the Master System and when I got home the game inside was actually Thunderblade LOL

Comment

Over the years I've seen a few shops that were blatantly re-sealing used games. They weren't doing it with standard used games but they get copies that are bought on release date and returned to them pretty much before the weekends out either because someone didn't like the game or completed it and were milking the refund policy. Easy money to reseal a mint looking copy and pass it off as brand new, often it'd be indie stores but in years past GAME etc have tried this trick

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Over the years I've seen a few shops that were blatantly re-sealing used games. They weren't doing it with standard used games but they get copies that are bought on release date and returned to them pretty much before the weekends out either because someone didn't like the game or completed it and were milking the refund policy. Easy money to reseal a mint looking copy and pass it off as brand new, often it'd be indie stores but in years past GAME etc have tried this trick
                      GAME's return policy was daft, really. 7 days, no quibble (supposedly). I had a friend who used to treat it like a free Blockbuster video.

Comment

Yeah, for a short while you could even do it twice before limit kicked in. I did once get a game on a Friday, trade it in on the Monday for another then on the Weds trade it back in for Hitman 2 - basically 3 games for £40

Comment

When I worked in Blockbuster many years ago we had a Gamestation attached/in-store and can confirm we had a resealing machine. Was generic if I remember though.
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Yeah, ultimately I think you've got to consider them as "used", even if in a sense, they're new.

Are they common games, like Soul Calibur or Sonic Adventure?
                            No, they're not common and worth around £100 each when factory sealed. I will sell them as 'Like New' and explain that they've always been shrink wrapped but not factory sealed. I will charge £30 less than a factory sealed copy and hope someone thinks that's a decent deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              No, they're not common and worth around £100 each when factory sealed. I will sell them as 'Like New' and explain that they've always been shrink wrapped but not factory sealed. I will charge £30 less than a factory sealed copy and hope someone thinks that's a decent deal.
                              Discs could be scratched to bejeeus Leon - you would never know.....

Comment

Working...
                              X