No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Classic 8-bit platformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For my three picks - Bubble Bobble, Alex Kidd and Psycho Fox.

Bubble Bobble is an arcade classic and the Master System port with its extra 100 levels was a popular two player fixture in my house back then. It’s a game I still pop into fairly regularly. Introduced my 10 year old niece to its charms a few weeks back and she’s hooked. And I have to mention that tune. Total ear worm.

Alex Kidd - Like many I was exposed to this as it was the built in game in my Master System 2. I know it’s not a stunner visually but I had been using a C64 as my gaming system prior to getting the MS and it felt like a whole new level with the smooth 50Hz gameplay and using a control pad. And the KiddEd software has led to some seriously impressive homebrew Alex Kidd games.

Psycho Fox - I’m not sure I can really pin down why I like this game so much. I didn’t come to it until many years after the Master System’s hey day but it doesn’t feel old. It’s really good to play and has a certain innocent charm.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
      In many ways, a bit like the beautiful to look at, but hard to play, Cauldron II.
      Yeah, it's similar to Cauldron II, which is a really nice looking game, but hard to get to grips with. You really have to put the time in to get the hang of things.

The C64 Thing on a Spring music is excellent.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      Introduced my 10 year old niece to its charms a few weeks back and she’s hooked. And I have to mention that tune. Total ear worm.
      Yeah, it's the sort of easy to pick-up-and-play, charming retro game that can be enjoyed by kids today. A timeless classic.

Really enjoyed this.

it felt like a whole new level with the smooth 50Hz gameplay and using a control pad.
      I really wish it had some with my Master System, because I'm sure I would have really enjoyed it. Would have been something special next to your typical 8-bit computer platformers thaty usually felt clunky to play.

Psycho Fox - I’m not sure I can really pin down why I like this game so much. I didn’t come to it until many years after the Master System’s hey day but it doesn’t feel old. It’s really good to play and has a certain innocent charm.
      I thought the title 'Psycho Fox' was hilarious back in the day, so that helped give the game charm. It's a nice precursor to Magical Hat on the Mega Drive, with attractive graphics and fun gameplay. I remember it received good reviews.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-09-2019, 11:21.

Comment

I've changed the list and replaced 'Miner 2049er' with Donkey Kong. I realised that such an important and popular game deserved to be included. Miner 2049er isn't really recognised in the UK, whereas Donkey Kong was a big hit, like it was across the world.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-09-2019, 06:15.

Comment

My five choices:

1. Super Mario Bros. 2 - I've always liked how vibrant and colourful the graphics are. It also plays really well -- and has an absorbing atmosphere that keeps me playing.

2. Bubble Bobble - A 'feel good' game that always puts a smile on my face. I will never get bored of coming back for more.

3. Chuckie Egg - It's a very simple game, but easily one of my favourite 8-bit computer games. There's a lot of magic in this creation.

4. Bomb Jack - A very distinct design full of colouful graphics and memorable music & sfx. Love the sprites.

5. Super Mario Bros. 3 - An absolutely brilliant platfomer that set a new benchmark at the time. Full of brilliant design.

I'm also very fond of Donkey Kong, Manic Miner, Super Mario Bros, Wonder Boy, and Kirby's Adventure.

Comment

Working...
          X