Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control

This is an awkward one, Remedy's new game see's you work your way through a government facility taking down other world creatures whilst unlocking new abilities and following an unfolding plot. This isn't Half-Life though, this is Control and see's Remedy once again delivering a narrative heavy third person shooter that is somewhat old school in design.

I feel like this is going to be one of those games that see's me at odds with most others. It's been praised in reviews and many are already citing it as their game of the year and so far, though I have a lot left to go, I'm finding it to be fine but also decidedly... meh. I've seen enough to know that the combat abilities open up to literally give the player a lot of control as the game goes on but what is bringing the experience down for me is the level design and environments.

The facility you're exploring is largely made up of identikit grey corridors, sometimes with repeated copy and paste layouts. There's something of a metroidvania design going on but overall it's a deeply dull place to explore with no character and nothing of note about it. In the early stages of the game you can run, small jump and shoot meaning that the basic nature of the gameplay makes things a bit of a chore too. The abilities you unlock largely relate to psychic abilities which eventually start to get you a sense of superpowered badassery but I'm finding that long before these kick in the sense of disconnect from how much of the game feels mundane lessens the impact.

The Director, or whatever her name is - your character - is the least compelling lead Remedy has ever made and the storyline nowhere near as engaging as their past efforts. The other world sequences so far have all been bland examples of platform jumping and enemy shooting. I currently feel like as the game moves towards its end and abilities are fully unlocked it will become a lot more fun to play and there will lie the games magic letting it finish at a peak but as things stand so far it's a solid but unremarkable game.

One aside, Ray tracing etc - DF has made a lot of fuss about this being game changing along side the less advanced options Control gives you. Basically, the game has a dull art design but as part of it a lot of surfaces are highly reflective. It isn't game changing, whilst those with powerful enough rigs can pump up these features or even fully enable everything with enough grunt it doesn't make a revolutionary difference to the games presentation.

GOTY for me.

Took me about 10 mins to fall straight into the world of Control and the FBC (Federal Bureau of Control) ‘this is where I wrote a long post kinda spoiling the first 5 mins but after thinking about it I deleted it’. I went in knowing little and got so much more from that experience.

I’ve not been this engaged with lore and a world since Dishonored, or maybe Prey. I’ll happily put this up here now as my favourite Remedy game over Alan Wake.

Currently about 12 hours in now.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
      GOTY for me.

Took me about 10 mins to fall straight into the world of Control and the FBC (Federal Bureau of Control) ‘this is where I wrote a long post kinda spoiling the first 5 mins but after thinking about it I deleted it’. I went in knowing little and got so much more from that experience.

I’ve not been this engaged with lore and a world since Dishonored, or maybe Prey. I’ll happily put this up here now as my favourite Remedy game over Alan Wake.

Currently about 12 hours in now.
      Out of curiosity, what are you playing it on? I was really looking forward to this one but I've heard so much bad stuff about the PS4 Pro version.

Comment

I'm too scared to play this on Xbox One basic bitch edition. Although apparently, weirdly, it's better than the base PS4.

I really enjoyed Donlan's review on Eurogamer but I always find Remedy's games combine interesting settings with pedestrian gameplay (except for Max Payne 1 and 2, which were brilliant - at the time, at least).

Comment

GamesRadar love it too - 4.5/5
          Control feels like a misnomer. You might be the newly appointed director of the Federal Bureau of Control (FBC, for short), but Remedy's latest game isn't about feeling like you're on t

“A GAME WE’LL BE TALKING ABOUT FOR GENERATIONS”

Comment

Worth digging in into the dev diaries we did some time ago. I was in charge of them:

Season 1: http://bit.ly/ControlDDPlaylist

Season 2: http://bit.ly/ControlDDPlaylist2

Comment

It's great!

Looks fantastic, story is intriguing.

I realised that you've got to be quite aggressive in combat to not die.

Comment

I’m enjoying it on the One X. Had a few frame rate issues like stutters but nothing off putting

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                  Out of curiosity, what are you playing it on? I was really looking forward to this one but I've heard so much bad stuff about the PS4 Pro version.
                  One X for me.

Comment

Loving the game so far, had the odd stutter on the One X but hardly a game killer. Love the action and the insane physics on the debris Ect

Comment

I did say I'd be at odds I now have Gears 5 pre-installed and so in the next two nights I'm keen to plug on with this before that launches. I think what I'm best doing is two things:

01 - Just moving past the fact I find the setting to be repetitive and bland.
                      02 - Appreciate that it's simply a run and gun for the most part and thankfully doesn't have the bloated excesses of Remedy's last game

There's some moves I know are later in the game I'm eager to get to, I think they'll refocus the experience from a gameplay stand point for me.

Comment

Just finished it today, I enjoyed every minute of it. In particular I enjoyed the environments, the Modernist and Brutalist Architecture of this building that you could imagine existing.

I think the strangest thing for me is that the actual combat gameplay makes up such a tiny part of the experience. It is damn satisfying launching things into enemies

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                          I'm playing on a Pro and bar the odd stutter haven't noticed any major performance issues.

Comment

Combat i loved and the matrix style destruction was pretty cool and the story and lore seems to be heavily influenced by the SCP stories.

How ever first 20 or so min with the dialogue and seemingly random things happening I am not a fan of that Kind of story telling (feels weird for the sake of being weird)

Some weird facial animation to lol , some people have said some side quests seem far better then the main quest but not really played a huge amount of the game so far

Comment

Because I forgot to add a poll we can play the game of thinking up score names for what could have been:

1/10 - Control/Alt/Delete
                              3/10 - Lost Bladder Control
                              10/10 - Control Me My Mistress of Pain!!

Comment

Working...
                              X