No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This team is so frustrating at the moment. Aside from rotating the full backs it was the same side that played so well against Red Star, so you think most of those players should have a bit of confidence in them, but it was back to playing poorly today. There were moments here and there, but Sheffield United had more good chances than we did. A draw was just about fair, but if anyone deserved to nick a winner I’d say it was them.

They were also unlucky to have their first equaliser ruled out for being offside by a millimetre. As I’ve said before, the video they use for offsides has a margin of error of about 5 - 10cm, so they should not be ruling goals in or out if they’re within that margin, as with the Aurier goal against Leicester.

Such a shame that we haven’t built on any of our good wins this season. At least it wasn’t a loss but even with 20+ matches to go, top four is looking very distant. Even if we do click into form after the international break and go on a great run, we’d need other teams to fall off the pace too, and the likes of Chelsea and Leicester are looking very strong right now.

Obviously I needed to cross my fingers a lot harder! Hopefully things will change for the better after the international break.

Comment

30 goals already in an England shirt for Harry Kane

Still over an hour to go tonight as well, a couple more and he can go ahead of Alan Shearer on the goalscorer’s list.

Edit: hat-trick I misheard, that one was enough to put him ahead of Shearer (and Finney and Lofthouse).
      Last edited by EJG1980; 14-11-2019, 20:22.

Comment

Apart from that milestone one of the other things that need mentioning about both that match and the one yesterday is just how good Harry Winks played. He also scored a great goal.

He's done more than enough to justify his inclusion in the squad and I'd say in the starting eleven on current form.

Not convinced by England's back four in either game though. Too many chances that could have resulted in goals. Against better sides they will not get away with those sorts of mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          Apart from that milestone one of the other things that need mentioning about both that match and the one yesterday is just how good Harry Winks played. He also scored a great goal.

He's done more than enough to justify his inclusion in the squad and I'd say in the starting eleven on current form.

Not convinced by England's back four in either game though. Too many chances that could have resulted in goals. Against better sides they will not get away with those sorts of mistakes.
          As a big Harry Winks fanboy it was great to see him not only be given his chance but for him to firmly grab that chance with both hands. I think his form in his last few Spurs matches has been well below his best (but then again, whose hasn't?) so hopefully these good performances for country will help him get back to his best for club.

The other Harry did alright too, he had a brilliant 2019 for England: first ever England player to score in every qualifying match for a tournament, first England player for 90 years to get 12 goals in a calendar year, top scorer for the whole of Euro 2020 qualifying (plus five assists which is joint second best). Superb stuff.

Totally agree on the England defence though, that's the main thing that's going to let us down next summer. You feel that we'll need any good teams we play to have a real off day with their finishing, because we're almost certainly going to give away chances.

Comment

Well, bloody hell

Comment

Crazy. He must have wanted to go. He will do well wherever he goes.

Comment

IMO, Daniel Levy has to take some of the blame for Spurs not pushing on.

Comment

Surprised, I mean yes, Spurs have had a variable season so far, compared to the last two, but still didn’t see it coming.
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Bit of a whirlwind tonight, Sky Sports News are now going big on Jose Mourhino to Spurs. They say both sides believe that a deal will be finalised by the morning and announced tomorrow (so not long to find out if it's true or not).

If it does turn out to be true then you'd have to think that they've been in contact well before tonight and had already had most of a deal worked out.

Interesting times, to say the least. If nothing else, it's never dull being a Spurs fan!

Comment

OMG when I heard the news earlier in the evening.

Pushed before he jumped I am guessing. That would suggest they do have someone lined up and also, more concerning, that Poch was not going to get the money he wanted for the January transfer window.

More pressure on OGS as manager of MU now; Poch has been linked with them when/if he ever left Spurs. Now he has the Premiership managerial musical chairs starts again.

Arsene Wenger is still free I believe and do not think that couldn't happen. Remember George Graham's stint at Spurs 21 years ago.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 20-11-2019, 00:20.

Comment

Hahaha, it’s Mourinho

Comment

Lucky you guys get to sing this now...

Comment

Yup, that was quick, woke up to an alert on the Spurs app on my phone announcing Jose Mourinho's appointment!

My personal preference would have been for Poch to stay, but I can see why the board took the decision they did. I don't think they can be accused of a knee jerk reaction as our form has been poor for nearly the whole of 2019; we've taken 24 points from our last 25 league games, which is relegation form for well over half a season of matches. By the standards of modern football, where jobs are often in danger after five or six bad results, it's not a completely out of nowhere decision.

And, of course, we don't know how much of this was Poch's decision, he may well have indicated himself that he felt like it was time to leave, which could have played into the club's decision. Putting that aside though, I still wouldn't have done it myself. I think football would be better if one off bad seasons were accepted as something that could happen and shouldn't always lead to a managerial change, but I think that ship has sailed for the whole of football.

I'm gonna miss the bleep out of Poch, I would have been happy if he'd ended up staying 15 - 20 years, my favourite manager we've had in my lifetime. I think it goes a bit under the radar of just what a good job he's done at Spurs. To get four years of Champions League football in a row, with a lower budget than the rest of the "big six", all while dealing with having to play at Wembley, the new stadium being delayed... maybe it wouldn't have been an instant fix, but I'm sure he would have eventually turned it around and maybe taken us on another level again. It's gonna suck seeing him in somebody else's dugout when he gets back into the game.

Anyway, can't change what's done, so Jose will get my full support. It could work out brilliantly for us if we get a refreshed, motivated, hungry Mourinho, who wants to prove he's still a serial winner that can lift big trophies at yet another club. Silverware is the one thing that's been missing from Spurs in recent seasons, and his track record of putting trophies in the cabinet is one of the best. Or it could work out terribly if we get Mourinho as he was at the end of his Man Utd stint.

Let's get aboard the rollercoaster and see where we end up!

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                            Pushed before he jumped I am guessing. That would suggest they do have someone lined up and also, more concerning, that Poch was not going to get the money he wanted for the January transfer window.
                            With Mourhino coming in that's something I think is less likely to have played at part in it. Jose is not exactly known as Mr. Frugal who's okay with budget restrictions! It seems unlikely that he'd come in if he hasn't been promised a budget that he feels is big enough to put his own stamp on the team (whether that be in January, next summer, or both).
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 20-11-2019, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                              Lucky you guys get to sing this now...

*demonic youtube video*
                              I saw the film Hereditary a few months ago, and thought it'd be a very long time before I saw anything more disturbing or scary than that. I stand corrected

Comment

Poch needed to go the moment he said the crap that he did before the Champions League Final .I used to be a huge fan of Mourhino and he 'was' a winner, but he acted terrible with the Chelsea pyshio (came acorss as sexist and a horrible bully )and he's never been the same since and Ive lost all respect for the man

No doubt he'll win somthing for Spurs mind, but I would have loved to seen Eddie Howe get the job myself, but there again he's English. That means you're not good enough for the so-called BIG Teams

Comment

Working...
                                X