Pound HDMi PS2 Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pound HDMi PS2 Cable

Sorry if I missed a thread on this, searched and couldn't find one.

Has anyone used one of the Pound HDMI cables for PS2?

Would you recommend? The image comparisons on their site look decent but some of the reviews note how it handles certain resolutions. Just wondering if anyone had any hands on experience?

Cheers!

Oh wow, I'd be keen on one of those too if they're good.

Comment

Genuinely thought this was going to be a thread about Poundland HDMI cables started by Jazzfunk.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Genuinely thought this was going to be a thread about Poundland HDMI cables started by Jazzfunk.
        Same

Comment

I won't lie. I also looked at the thread starter, thinking it'd be Bargain Master Jazz!

Comment

I'll be honest bud, you might be better off getting a Open Source Scan Converter, as I think their website is over playing the improvements. For starters almost all the screenshots are compared with composite cables and we all know how poor the picture quality is using them. Based on reviews it seems it doesn't like PAL games one bit.

Here's the OSSC on a 480i PS2 game:

One of the PS1 running at its native resolution on OSSC:

Surely this is just a generic scaler boxed up as a PS2 only device. Only trouble with the OSSC is it can be a bit hit and miss with some of the TV's and it works with.

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking for something that's ok and cheaper than the OSSC. I already have an OSSC on my upstairs TV with all my retro stuff and am after a decentish way of hooking up one of my other PS2s to the TV downstairs. If it has a problem with PAL games it's a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                I'll be honest bud, you might be better off getting a Open Source Scan Converter, as I think their website is over playing the improvements. For starters almost all the screenshots are compared with composite cables and we all know how poor the picture quality is using them. Based on reviews it seems it doesn't like PAL games one bit.
                WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

WHOA.

There's a PS2 version of Decathlete>E>!?DSFDD?!!?!??!!?

EDIT: Is it any good?!? If so that's an immediate must-buy for me

Comment

Yeah that first full 3 star review on Amazon lists the following:
                  The second limitation is that the 720 upconvesion and rescaling is optimized for 240p and 480i games. This means that PAL only (576i) games are cropped and displayed slightly offset to the bottom right.

Might be better off with one of those cheaper component upscalers, some of them are pretty decent.

Comment

I remember some people kicking up a fuss when Limited Run started selling these (there was a technical issue but also a view that their quality didn't align with the perceived brand image) but unfortunately don't remember much of what was discussed on the technical side. I tried digging it up and this was the most relevant thread I could find...

(for the record I'm sure this wasn't the source of the original complaint I saw, and yes, I'm aware this particular tweet is going to be at least somewhat biased on account of them having a competing product)
                    Last edited by fuse; 03-09-2019, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

WHOA.

There's a PS2 version of Decathlete>E>!?DSFDD?!!?!??!!?

EDIT: Is it any good?!? If so that's an immediate must-buy for me
                      See the video and included description, if you watched it you'll see it's not just a port of Decathlete, more a collection really.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      I tried digging it up and this was the most relevant thread I could find...

(for the record I'm sure this wasn't the source of the original complaint I saw, and yes, I'm aware this particular tweet is going to be at least somewhat biased on account of them having a competing product)
                      Fuse that embed tweet feature doesn't seem to work so I manually posted the link in this edit. I'd take anything HD Retrovision said with a pinch of salt as they are selling their own product, but still I just don't like the look of it either.
                      Last edited by S3M; 03-09-2019, 21:31.

Comment

Guys, up until now all Pound Cables seem to be inferior products to what's already out there. They all seem to have soft image quality, darker image and some even have sound issues. I can't see this being any better. I'd like to be wrong but I doubt I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          Guys, up until now all Pound Cables seem to be inferior products to what's already out there. They all seem to have soft image quality, darker image and some even have sound issues. .
                          The Pound Dreamcast cable has 'white crush' that can't be fixed. I was playing Sega Rally 2 and noticed the sky looked too white: the white had wiped out most of the sky details. You'd think they'd test for this sort of thing and optimise the hardware.

The Pound Xbox cable does a good job, even if there seems to be a bit of 'black crush' that darkens the image. It's not very noticeable though.

I'm sure that this PS2 cable will be better than the truly terrible PS2 to HDMI cables from China. But it's clear that Pound don't optimise their hardware by aiming to get things as nice as possible. The quality should be better for £30 cables.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-09-2019, 06:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            The Pound Dreamcast cable has 'white crush' that can't be fixed. I was playing Sega Rally 2 and noticed the sky looked too white: the white had wiped out most of the sky details. You'd think they'd test for this sort of thing and optimise the hardware.

The Pound Xbox cable does a good job, even if there seems to be a bit of 'black crush' that darkens the image. It's not very noticeable though.

I'm sure that this PS2 cable will be better than the truly terrible PS2 to HDMI cables from China. But it's clear that Pound don't optimise their hardware by aiming to get things as nice as possible. The quality should be better for £30 cables.
                            I'll probably just stick with component (D-Terminal) going in to my Framemeister. Seems to work well on all games. PSX stuff looks especially nice.

Comment

Working...
                            X