Phoenix|Down X8: Bioshock 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix|Down X8: Bioshock 4

Inspired by some incredibly weak rumours yesterday as to the nature of the next Bioshock entry; Bioshock is a successful franchise that, remasters aside, has been absent this entire generation of consoles. We've long been promised that it would return and the developers of the second entry are said to be busy working on the new game but the last entry created something of an identity crossroads by expanding the world away from Rapture but dovetailing in a way that further confines future entries.

Bioshock 4

The narrative surrounding Bioshock Infinite has somewhat skewed perception at times that the series left off less successful than it was but regardless its inevitable return will be coming off the back of a long absence and so advancement will be essential on multiple fronts. When Bioshock returns would you prefer a faithful experience that further taps into the setting or connections to Rapture or would you prefer something that breaks away from that world and the gameplay those games hung from?

I really enjoyed bioshock. Loved the creepy body-horror setting. I didn't like the sequel as much, but I'm not sure why. It had all the elements but just seemed to be missing something.
    The bioshock 3 took a side step and I really enjoyed that too.
    As for bioshock 4, I'm not sure which way it should go. If they can capture the atmosphere of the first then that would be great... But then if they follow the gameplay of 3 that's cool too. Would a hybrid work?

Comment

I hope it keeps the dark, art deco look of the orig. But maybe expand it into a bigger, less linear world. Cross it with Evil Within 2, it'd be marvellous. And they need to re-add the wet floor fx, seeing a YouTube vid of the remastered version put me off buying it. It needs to have lots of oily/greasy/shiny/wet texture work.

Whatever's the case, even if turns out only as good as Infinite then it'll still be aces. Truly enjoyed all the Bioshock games, even enjoyed Singularity, which ripped it off.

Looking forward to this!

Comment

The thing about Bioshock is that the very first level was like a horror game and no other part was. It then just became a shooter that wanted to be smarter than it actually was. A gorgeous setting, a great world but I remember being a little disappointed that all these people were coming to kill me for really no reason mostly (they didn’t attack others) and killing them was really all I could do in a world I really wanted to explore and interact with.

I actually got on better with the sequel for one reason: it knew it was a shooter. It embraced it and didn’t try to be anything more and, personally, I think it was really successful as a shooter.

Infinite was 1 all over again in the sense that I adored the setting so much, the world was astoundingly beautiful, but all the game could have me do was kill people without all that much of a justification while trying to be smarter than that and making me listen to big long speeches that were clearly supposed to be commentary. A big dumb beautiful shooter that didn’t know it was dumb.

So what would I want with a new game? Probably the opposite of what most would want. I’d want Rapture or the Infinite place or somewhere as beautiful and as rich and I’d want to explore it as a person, with a good narrative, in an adventure game not a shooter. Give me a reason to look around and discover hidden treats and let me take my time and don’t descend into just having me kill stuff just to make it a game. I’d take a dating sim set in Rapture at its best, for example.

Comment

Yeah, like I said. Make it like Evil Within 2. It was a comparatively tiny open world but full of things to find and places to explore.

There was always a point where each game turned into a simplistic FPS lootfest and the game revealed its limitations despite its exquisite settings and atmos.

Know I keep on mentioning EW2 but it had a sense of fear and exploration about it you don't really feel that much. It was great!

And obviously I want acres and acres of Bioshock beauty. There is nothing like it in gaming, even playing the first game now, it's still refreshing to behold.

Comment

Their architectural settings are some of the best ever designed in gaming, in my view, so more of that would be nice. But most of all I'd be happy if the next game didn't force the player to eat chocolates and crisps out of bins endlessly, to an extremely noisy loop of munching sounds. Infinite was chronic for this (http://totk-comic.com/comic/binshock-infinite/). Oh, and they shouldn't cheapen the games with the schlocky B movie titles of 'Bioshock'.
            Last edited by Golgo; 07-09-2019, 10:34.

Comment

Given this would come from the makers of Bioshock 2 I'd be happy to see it stay largely the same in terms of structure but to heavily update the FPS controls so that it more fully embraced the shooter mechanics nature. It'd be nice to see them do some sort of Rapture in space setting too as it would hark back to the series System Shock roots whilst allowing for grandiose powers and set pieces etc.

Comment

Bioshock 1 was ace.
                The setting, the twist and so on.

2 was more of the same, but still fun, but I'm pretty sure I spent 73.2% of my time rifling through drawers rather than using rifles.

Infinite was announced and there was talk of DLC and season passes and I totally lost all interest in it and decided to vote with my wallet. Even it coming out on the free game schemes didn't tempt me to try it.

Comment

Infinite was also a binfest.

Comment

Alright who chose another 'Live-Service' game, then? Would you kindly raise your hand...

Bioshock 4 developer hiring for endgame content designer and suggests will be a live-service game.[Resetera]

In the game we’re making, the story itself will come to a conclusion. The world, by contrast, is something we are designing to be alive and engaging past the main narrative arc. To leverage this, we want to build a post-narrative set of systems, quests and player progression that gives our fanatic fangirls and fanboys more content to experience on an ongoing, live-services basis.
                    Last edited by Digfox; 09-11-2019, 12:47.

Comment

really enjoyed the that with Infinite they went with something different, yet connected with the same world. Bioshock 2 just felt like an expansion.
                      I'd like to see more worlds if they do a 4 for sure.

Comment

It's hard to know how to react with the GAAS news for Bioshock 4. On one hand it feels like a natural evolution for the series, it's dabbled in multiplayer before so that's not much of a surprise and the idea of finishing the story and still continuing within the settings makes sense as that's much like how Rapture continues even though the story ends at the end of each game. It'd come down to how heavily it impact the structure, for the campaign I definitely want Bioshock 4 as the experience

Comment

It might be yet again an example of making a game no-one asked for. Another Ghost Recon Breakpoint or Anthem for example.

I adored the Irrational Games Bioshock entries. For me they uniquely stood out because of their world/settings, atmosphere and story. Where as the actual core gameplay was never as strong. I felt that I had to fight through that when completing both games. In this sense the new studio tasked with returning to Bioshock will have a real challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                            I adored the Irrational Games Bioshock entries. For me they uniquely stood out because of their world/settings, atmosphere and story. Where as the actual core gameplay was never as strong. I felt that I had to fight through that when completing both games. In this sense the new studio tasked with returning to Bioshock will have a real challenge.
                            Yeah, totally agree.

But I have the best idea for a new Bioshock game. It's a prequel and you play someone who has to stay just one step ahead of the main character from the first game and plant stuff in bins without him seeing you. You have to keep every bin well stocked or your big loud boss (played by John Goodman) will take you into his office and shout at you. This is the Bioshock game we all need.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Yeah, totally agree.

But I have the best idea for a new Bioshock game. It's a prequel and you play someone who has to stay just one step ahead of the main character from the first game and plant stuff in bins without him seeing you. You have to keep every bin well stocked or your big loud boss (played by John Goodman) will take you into his office and shout at you. This is the Bioshock game we all need.
                              I've often thought this when playing games. Who are the ones who keep the torches burning in long abandoned temples etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X