The History in Interfaced NES/SNES Games:
    1992 - Barcode World
    1993 - Barcode Battler Senki: Super Senshi Shutsugeki Seyo
    1993 - Dragon Slayer II
    1993 - Hatayami Hatch No Pro Yakyuu News! Jisumei Han
    1993 - Doraemon 2: Nobita's Great Adventure Toys Land
    1994 - J League 94
    1994 - Doraemon 3: Nobita and the Jewel of Time
    1994 - Lupin III: Densetsu no Hiwo wo Oe!
    1995 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes
    1995 - J League 95
    1995 - Donald Duck no Maho no Boshi
    1995 - Alice no Paint Adventure

Overview:
    Last week was the 40th Anniversary of the Barcode making this the perfect time to look back at the fad of the early 90's, the Barcode Battler. Using everyday barcodes that players scan into the machine, the data is then converted into players or power ups that are used to battle monsters. The original machine was white and simple as well as being exclusive to Japan making the Barcode Battler II the one global audiences are more familiar with; featuring more complex battles, a black design and compatibility with key NES and SNES games (the above list). Though successful in Japan, the system was launched as a direct rival to the popular handhelds of the time and failed to make an impact as a result. The system died soon after though its Japanese success meant it ran for a few more years in that territory with the Nintendo link strengthened via the release of Nintendo themed card packs and special edition cards

Share your thoughts and memories of the Barcode Battler

Ha! This was an ace idea.

I saw one at a retro game show recently and nearly caved, but my inability to explain what it was to my son revealed to me it would have been a mistake!

Comment

Funnily enough I have one of these; I bought it a few weeks ago. Eurogamer ran a really good article about them and I went to eBay, managed to snap one up, practically mint in box, for practically nothing. I always wanted one as a kid and am looking forward to trying it out, probably hating and it and selling it on

Comment

Love this quirky stuff but never jumped on it, I’m a few generations ahead with the e-reader instead but a similar principle. I do love how a certain brand of noodles during the heyday of barcode battler totally sold out as players realised the barcode gave crazy stats.

Comment

I never had one of these and, honestly, never really wanted one. And yet I think the idea sounds like it could be fun.

Comment

When I decided to run this one I immediately remembered being a school whilst this launched and not buying into the claims it could rival GameBoy etc. I think one kid did bring one in once which is my sole exposure to it and it didn't make sense. Yet... the idea of a modern small device that performs a similar function using barcodes sounds like it could work these days

Comment

There have been devices just like that similar to digimon keychains where you swiped in barcodes to power up your monsters. For the life of me I can’t remember the exact name of the things but this concept has been used a few times at least since the bb was released.

Comment

Working...
              X