Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    You had to love Sega's willingness to throw one off peripherals out there for the system, it was impressive at the time they went there with those Samba De Amigo sets
    I'll have you know that the fishing rod works with Soul Calibur

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      Chips at the boro?
      Yeah, the Linthorpe Road one (when they were upstairs). I loved that shop.

Always liked the owner Nik too. Must get up to his new shop Games Galaxy in Consett at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Always liked the owner Nik too. Must get up to his new shop Games Galaxy in Consett at some point.
        I think that's the one I've been too years ago. I remember a small gaming shop in Redcar where I got Bio Hazard Battle as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Wasn't the Xbox sequel pretty good? I had it, on one of those discs which also had JSRF. Remember it being uncomplicated but fun.
          It was like a totally different game! .It was for me, the best racing game of that gen and the gfx and sound was even better than GT3.

Comment

I used to like that shop too as Nik would let Lee sell Pal games early LOL. I remember Lee and Nik going to E3 1999 for the launch of the DC inthe the USA (If its the same Nik of course LOL)

Comment

Have to say I also loved Maxen X onthe DC. It's a overlooked and underrated classic with some ace music.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                I used to like that shop too as Nik would let Lee sell Pal games early LOL. I remember Lee and Nik going to E3 1999 for the launch of the DC inthe the USA (If its the same Nik of course LOL)

Yes, that's him. I remember watching that vid (on a vhs video) when they got back. I was well impressed by the Ready2Rumble footage

Comment

Yes, that's him. I remember watching that vid (on a vhs video) when they got back. I was well impressed by the Ready2Rumble footage
                  I was super impressed with the Maxen X, Dead Or Alive 2 and NFL 2K footage . Truly brilliant times, so wish one can have them back

Comment

You and Rumble games Although Rumble Racing was always your best fave

Comment

My Dreamcast only exists for samba, very little of the library impressed me but samba is special Sega did a stellar job of adapting the technology of the arcade into a viable controller.

I don’t see what others do in the system, bought one on Japanese launch but was left with only sonic adventure, there was nothing released that enticed me held onto it upto the point of code Veronica been released but then I sold it to a friend not long after. The second Dreamcast was the one mark bought for us so I could play samba and that’s pretty much all it got used for I do have space channel 5 but that’s the entirety of my dc collection both sambas and space channel 5 lol

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        You and Rumble games Although Rumble Racing was always your best fave
                        ... and my favourite shop was Rumbelows

Comment

The thing about the Dreamcast for me is that it delivered on the promise of the N64. Yep, you heard me. Here's the thing - Mario 64 blew me away. It felt like a huge leap over the PS1 with its smooth textures, higher res and fantastic control. And so I got the N64. But I didn't get on with a huge amount of games and the leap that I had imagined with Mario 64 was actually more about Nintendo design. I mean, N64 games generally seem really low-poly and, until the expansion pack, seemed like the textures were no better than the PS1 but were just blurred. So I was a little disappointed with the N64 experience. And in its workings, it was just like a SNES and Megadrive. With music players, visualisers and so on, the PS1 and Saturn felt like they were edging towards a new era. The N64 wasn't.

Then the Dreamcast happened. And Sonic Adventure looked amazing. But it wasn't just Sonic Adventure. Even janky early games like Trickstyle were so far above what we had seen up to that point on consoles. The Dreamcast was really delivering a next generation leap. Games looked fantastic on it. Ecco is gorgeous. Shenmue is an obvious one. Powerstone is lovely. Even when the PS2 came out and we got Final Fantasy X, it was hard not to feel it looked muddy by comparison.

On top of that, the system felt unique. Yeah, some of it was weird like the way the cord to the controllers was at the bottom. Some of it was gimmick, like the VMUs that just seemed to run out of battery all the time. But we also got a web browser and online gaming. It felt like it wasn't just a visual power jump - it was move towards the future and new ways of gaming, building on where the PS1 and Saturn had been going. With those features and even with the weird and the gimmicky, it all came together to offer something that felt like it had such a strong identity. I mean, even those awful game cases that would crack if you looked at them were part of the identity.

It was a special system.

And it has so many great games. Shenmue, Ecco, Powerstone, Jet Set Radio, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Rez, Seaman (I mean seriously... totally unique!), Samba De Amigo, House of the Dead 2 (best gun game ever), Phantasy Star Online, MSR, Crazy Taxi. Actually, now that I think about it, the DC had some amazing games and games that, for me, outshine most others on any other system.

Edit: I'm going to add one negative. At launch, the system came with a leaflet of upcoming games. Buried among the names was Exhumed 2. It never happened. That made me sad.
                          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 12-09-2019, 11:54.

Comment

I can't think of a single system, post the 16-bit era, that had more games on it I loved. Absolutely adored the Dreamcast, and it's one of those systems I kinda wish I still owned. I played a few games on one last year, and graphically the games still looked absolutely lovely, some really timeless titles on there. It's a system that's fared far, far better than a lot of its contemporaries, and it's not just rose tinted nostalgia.

Comment

Much as I loved the Dreamcast, it never felt as good as the Saturn in terms of game output. It also launched a tad too early in Japan, meaning that the hardware wasn't as powerful as it could have been against the coming systems. Partly its early launch I suspect is one reason it failed in Japan and didn't get anywhere close to Saturn sales in Japan. Many Japan Sega owners still wanted Saturn games, indeed Street Fighter Alpha 3 Saturn release came out after the DC port, following complaints the Saturn one had been cancelled at one point. Which might explain why the Saturn port uses the rubbish PS1 world tour mode.

Which put it in a bad position in Japan and why Sega of Japan pulled the plug on the system a little to early and only after they saw the sales in Europe and America did they realise the mistake they had made.

Compared to the Saturn the Dreamcast's library is rather light weight after early releases like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, MSR, Soul Calibur. You largely have barebone arcade ports for the later releases. However, those early games were truly creative and the online gaming for consoles was ahead of its time. These days most of the DC's big titles are readily available on other systems.

I have some great memories with the system, but I do think the Saturn was a better machine, had the DC had a full lifespan then I think it would have been a different case however. Games like Skies of Arcadia are unmatched even today.

Comment

Ready2Rumble on the Official Dreamcast Magazine! The facial deformations, the smoothness of the gameplay. That was the perfect demo to sell me on the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X