User Tag List

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Retro was still fun at that point, and most importantly, fair. Now it's just a cesspit of scumbag resellers falsely inflating prices. I'd wager 95% of people buying retro games in this day and age don't even play a single one, straight to the display cabinet, or bragged about on ****ing youtube. .
    That's the best thing about Mark's ace RetroCore, the fab Randomised Gaming and the likes of Game Shack. None of this 'look at me' with hundrends of unplayed games and the systems in the background, that is so common on YouTube these days and half the time they have't a clue what're they're on about and its all been googled.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    That's the interesting thing, it could have been that the Dreamcast would have tailed off no matter what but it's 18 months or so of sales suggested it was definitely going to be Sega's second most successful console and may have eventually out performed the Mega Drive's lifetime sales with the right positioning over another 3 or so years. It utterly crushed the Saturn in terms of commercial performance too so it largely was the poor state of Sega itself that killed the system rather than the PS2.
    Well, the Dreamcast certainly didn't get enough support from big publishers. That really held the Dreamcast back when it came to the overall perception of the machine amongst the mainstream. I always felt it was a machine that 'enthusiasts' mostly embraced -- and that sort of person was still relevant in those days.

Lots of publishers and devs were still happy to focus on the PS1 between 1998-2000. They knew the PS2 was coming down the line, so Sony was the safe bet. I think publishers and lots of devs had a negative image of Sega at that point -- but very positive feelings towards Sony.

So as much as the Dreamcast was a powerful machine that took gaming to another level, Sony and its PlayStation brand was a major rival. The games development community had a love affair with Sony that was totally justified. On the other hand, you could appreciate why publishers and devs were cautious about getting involved with Sega and its new machine.

I also think the Dreamcast was released at a strange time. I don't think the mass market was very eager for a new console when the PS1 & N64 were still delivering good games. Ideally, the Dreamcast would have been released a while later in 2000 with beefier specs(more RAM would have helped). I think by 2000, even casual gamers were feeling 32-bit had become old hat.

It's easy to appreciate why the PS2 was always going to be the dominant console during that era of gaming. The Dreamcast was a great machine with lots of good games to enjoy, but for various reasons it was destined to fail. Maybe Sega never stood a chance whatever approach they took after all the negativity generated towards the brand after the Mega CD, 32X, and Saturn.

When it comes to pushing the Dreamcast hardware, I think it could have been pushed further and further over a 5 year period. We all know that's how development works -- devs gradually get more and more out of any given hardware. So that would have been the case for the Dreamcast. It's such a shame that mainstream development came to an abrupt end after a very short period.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    None of this 'look at me' with hundrends of unplayed games and the systems in the background,
    I'd rather listen to someone who actually plays and comments on games, even if they're just using roms. The guys who have tons and tons of mint games and machines but always ask for "donations" really annoy me. If someone is blatantly asking for money, it really puts me off. I just can't stand big ego sort of people.

It's fine for people to give tips as appreciation for videos they enjoy, but a creator shouldn't behave like a busker.

Retro|Spective 104 will be launched on Monday, make any donations out to...

make any donations out to...

He'd probably get thousands of dollars through Patreon. Lots of people seem to love funding obsessive greed for gaming stuff.

Of course, I think it's fine for a gamer on YouTube to make money from adverts and tips, but manipulating people into donating money doesn't feel right.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Excluding the Amiga the DC is the best gaming device I've had, might not have had the trillions of games of the Sony's but loads of sheer quality titles as well as niche stuff that Sony (being a tech company) won't go anywhere near.

Amongst the many great memories the standout was when I imported the Japanese JSR from Tronix, I had a Sony WEGA 29" 4:3, booted it up in 60hz and as soon as the loading screen came on I knew I was in for a treat, once the music started and you got to see those lovely cel-shaded graphics you knew you were witnessing something really special.

Happy days indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anpanman View Post
    and you got to see those lovely cel-shaded graphics you knew you were witnessing something really special.
    Yeah, felt hi-res and looked really shiny clean. A world away from 3D games on 32-bit machines.
    Such a beautiful sight to behold.

I'm packing everything away at the moment to redecorate and it's been a few years since I've done anything on the DC. Fired it up to test it, make sure it was all still working fine.

Now I don't want to put it away! So many great games on that system, the library is fairly small but so much of it is really good. I felt let down when it was discontinued, yet except maybe the Mega Drive I can't think of a system I've had as much overall enjoyment from. Will have to get some more games for it next year I think!

Another oddity for the DC, I don't think many systems have had as much cancelled game content leak out afterwards. Stuff like Propeller Arena and Half Life being finished and eventually sneaking out is bizarre.

Another oddity for the DC, I don't think many systems have had as much cancelled game content leak out afterwards. Stuff like Propeller Arena and Half Life being finished and eventually sneaking out is bizarre.
    Not that it makes any difference, but games getting to a reasonably-finished state before they get cancelled is still something which happens with some regularity; though obviously companies try to keep it to a minimum. It's in part due to the spiralling cost of advertising. Usually though they just vanish, maybe you get a YouTube leak.

While I don't doubt it, I imagine it must be less common these days simply due to digital distribution being cheaper. You're right about the ad costs of course but, back when there was only physical, manufacturing costs in advance were very daunting with no guarantee of enough sales so some of it would even have been about being able to cash-flow it to get a game on to shelves. These days, we often see games even from seemingly large companies skipping physical in favour of digital for what I imagine must be the same reason.