User Tag List

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post

Is the Saturn the only console with a 6-button layout by default?
    Didn't the PC Engine FX also have 6 button pad as standard too. My trouble was SEGA no doubt asked the clueless PS casuals when conducting its research. The DC pad should have had 6 face buttons as standard IMO

Could have been worse I guess and stuck to three like the 3DO and MD. Shame they didnt just lift the L1/2 R1/2 notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Could have been worse I guess and stuck to three like the 3DO and MD. Shame they didnt just lift the L1/2 R1/2 notion.
    True, though the Dreamcast did popularise the idea of analog triggers. The Saturn controller had them too, but as that came mid-to-late in the system's life, they weren't noticed as much. Microsoft then ran with the idea. Analog triggers make a world of difference for racing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    True, though the Dreamcast did popularise the idea of analog triggers. The Saturn controller had them too, but as that came mid-to-late in the system's life, they weren't noticed as much. Microsoft then ran with the idea. Analog triggers make a world of difference for racing games.
    Quite, SEGA Rally Plus was awesome on the Saturn with its analogue support for breaking and acceleration. I also liked how the USA version of Exhumed/Powerslave added in 3D pad support and so long before GoldenEye or Turok one could have analogue aiming and use the 6 face buttons for movement.

SEGA really should have had the DC pad with 6 face buttons

It's a shame they built so much of the physical shape around the use of VMU's, they where ultimately useless even if there's a touch of novelty about them.

Got to love that beep when the battery was running low though, which was seemingly always. I must admit, I absolutely love the VMUs. But then I love the Pocketstation too and there deosn’t seem to be many who do. I liked the little features that you could access outside the game. Actually, I think I have always liked this because, now that I think about it, I loved the little thingy that came with Pokemon Gold and Silver on the DS too - Pokewalker, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Got to love that beep when the battery was running low though, which was seemingly always. I must admit, I absolutely love the VMUs. But then I love the Pocketstation too and there deosn’t seem to be many who do. I liked the little features that you could access outside the game. Actually, I think I have always liked this because, now that I think about it, I loved the little thingy that came with Pokemon Gold and Silver on the DS too - Pokewalker, was it?
    Yeah, I loved all that stuff too (though only the concept of the PocketStation, as it never got a proper release in the UK). The VMUs were a great idea with flawed execution; the battery life needed to be literally ten times longer, or be rechargeable. If I remember rightly, the batteries would run out in literally days and those batteries weren't cheap.

I think the concept was sound, though. I loved how you could link up VMUs to exchange times in Sega Rally 2. In Japan, players could use the VMUs on some arcade machines too - though this actually creates a problem for some games; the Japanese Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is hampered by this as I think you can never obtain all of the characters without some access to the arcade.