Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post

Cannon Spike - mash-up of Capcom characters, full of fan-service. A bit like Robotron but focused on boss battles. Run around a 2D arena shooting and brawling with famous Capcom set-pieces. Fantastic!
    I wouldn't say it's a great game for various reasons, but it's definitely a Dreamcast game that I go back to regularly. I like the range of characters to choose from -- and there's something engrossing about the action. It's quite a strangely designed game that doesn't feel refined enough, but it's definitely fun to play.

Illbleed - genre defying survival horror action adventure. I say it defies genres, because it's not like a traditional survival horror. You explore weird themed and trapped stages, and need to micromanage your vital stats. Riffs on a lot of horror movies. Utterly insane. Like nothing else I've played.
    I had a friend who thought Illbleed was a brilliant game. He used to go on about all the interesting/exciting things that happened throughout the game. But it's not a genre that appeals to me.

Super Magnetic Neo
    It plays like Crash Bandicoot -- and the graphics are very vibrant. The overall design is full of charm. Definitely one of the best Dreamcast games, but it doesn't get much recognition. I guess its simplicity next to the likes of the Sonic Adventure games put people off buying it.

Pen Pen Trilcelon is another gem that's worthing playing. It lacks content, but there's lots of fun to be had with what's on offer. Still quite a cheap game.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-09-2019, 11:15.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of really weird or obscure games being mentioned here. The system had some great oddities, but the only one I've seen mentioned after a brief skim of this thread was Maken X. Mainly it's been the usual suspects of classics. Here's some less discussed stuff worth looking up:
      I really loved D2, it captured the sense of the wildness and snowy cold landscape perfectly Speaking of some obscure games

REZ - The look of it and the music was like nothing else before or since and Adam Freeland Aera 5 music is increabile and that whole level like an out of body experience

Pen Pen - Got it with the launch of the DC In Japan and love it. So wacky and so Japanese, looked stunning too with that wonderful trademark DC textures

Sports Jam - Such a clever mix of well thought out and well-executed sports games, the Golf game in particular is amazing fun

Alien Front Online - I loved how the team looked to allow plays in the Arcade and home to play together and the voice chat feature (all 5 sec of it) was nice. A really fun game that was great Online

Floigan Brothers - A nice fun Platform/Puzzel game that had some amazing visuals for the time

Ooga Booga - Me and my brother used to love to play this online. It's such an overlooked and underrated multiplayer fighting game

Cosmic Smash - I just loved the wired art style and the music to this title and had a 'blast'. It was like something THX

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Pen Pen - Got it with the launch of the DC In Japan and love it. So wacky and so Japanese, looked stunning too with that wonderful trademark DC textures
        Yeah, it's such a charming game. And a lot of fun once you get used to how it controls.

Sports Jam - Such a clever mix of well thought out and well-executed sports games, the Golf game in particular is amazing fun
        A Dreamcast gem that doesn't much recognition. Offers nice graphics and fun gameplay.

Cosmic Smash - I just loved the wired art style and the music to this title and had a 'blast'. It was like something THX
        I love the atmosphere conjured up by the abstract graphics and haunting voice. It's such a fun, intense game once you get good at it.

Comment

I spent way too much time on Daytona 2001, it was over sensitive for steering but once used to it I've never spent so much time on a Daytona game. I remember spending a while on Vanishing Point too

Comment

This makes me think, did anyone play OutTrigger? It was probably the only major Sega first-part DC game I've never played.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              I spent way too much time on Daytona 2001, it was over sensitive for steering but once used to it
              I've never got used to it, but the stunning graphics keep me coming back for more. I want to really like it, but the control/steering always frustrates me.

I remember spending a while on Vanishing Point too
              I remember that being a disappointment. I think it was designed as a PS1 game, so it didn't feel like a proper DC game. At least it ran fast though.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              This makes me think, did anyone play OutTrigger? It was probably the only major Sega first-part DC game I've never played.

I still have my copy of Outtrigger -- it's a very nice looking game that's fun to play. A bit clunky by modern standards but I definitely enjoyed it back in the day.

A similar game is Capcom's 'Spawn' which I had a lot of fun with. It also had impressive(for the time) graphics.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2019, 07:07.

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but to my knowledge the Dreamcast was the first PAL console to offer users the option of running games in 60Hz. After the debacle of squashed 50Hz PAL games on SNES, PS1, Saturn, et al, this was a revelation to me. It's also one of the reasons I bought so many PAL games - there was no need to import, or wait around hoping an import shop got in what I wanted. You could just buying anything local and it'd probs have a 50 and 60 Hz boot-up screen.

No one thinks about that these days, what with HDTV.

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but to my knowledge the Dreamcast was the first PAL console to offer users the option of running games in 60Hz. After the debacle of squashed 50Hz PAL games on SNES, PS1, Saturn, et al, this was a revelation to me. It's also one of the reasons I bought so many PAL games - there was no need to import, or wait around hoping an import shop got in what I wanted. You could just buying anything local and it'd probs have a 50 and 60 Hz boot-up screen.

True; I think this also benefits from the fact that the DC probably has the highest ratio of 60:non-60 3D games of any console.

Comment

this was a revelation to me.

Yeah, before HDMI lots of people had to put up with bad image quality and all the issues that came with 50Hz.

At least the PAL Dreamcast offered a 60Hz option in most games. At last, a console manufacturer decided to give PAL gamers a way to play games as intended in their original NTSC form.

Also, the Dreamcast being able to output a stunning VGA image was something special. It still looks pretty nice today.

Comment

Thinking back I must have really caned Crazy Taxi to get to a point of being able to complete multiple laps of the city, these days I can barely get to the second post-freeway section

Comment

Thinking back I must have really caned Crazy Taxi to get to a point of being able to complete multiple laps of the city, these days I can barely get to the second post-freeway section
                        Supercrazytaximanfallsnext!

Comment

Mantaxisupercrazyfallsnext

Comment

Yeah, you're getting good at Crazy Taxi when your performance isn't so much based on score, but the time that's left on the clock when you loop back to the starting location. I think you start with 60s on the clock and you're aiming to get back there as close to that as possible. I don't think it's possible to get back with 60 or more, but the closer you can get, the more laps you can do and that's the path to the highest scores.

Comment

Yeah, if I remember correctly there's a point where your score starts to largely flatline. I'd be curious as to what the maximum possible number of laps is but nowhere seems to have ever looked into that vs the max score

Comment

Kinda wish I had a DC at the time, but PS2 definitely had more games that interested me.

Comment

Working...
                                X