Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Another testament to the Dreamcast's enduring popularity, this has become the longest running R|S thread ever having just surpassed the one for Ridge Racer which was at least 50% arguing about whether Revolution was a sequel or an expansion. Vive la Dreamcast!
    It’s an expansion. Isn’t Rave Racer even subtitled Ridge Racer 2?

Comment

*duck and cover*

Comment

*duck and cover*

Where's Joe?

Comment

*duck and cover*
          KILL! KILL! STAB! TWIST! KILL!

Comment

Here's a Dreamcast question: anyone know if there was any logic to the wire going into the bottom of the controller rather than the top? Just to accommodate the VMU, you reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Here's a Dreamcast question: anyone know if there was any logic to the wire going into the bottom of the controller rather than the top? Just to accommodate the VMU, you reckon?
              I'm not sure. There was the rumble pack too, I guess?

It's strange, though. Similarly, the Saturn 3D Pad, which was kinda a forerunner of the Dreamcast pad, allowed you to disconnect the cable from the controller. The cable was left with a kind of "chunk" on the end which slotted into the controller.

There's probably some torturous design reason for this, maybe to do with the internals.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Check this out:

Maybe they could've had the wire popping out from under the lower VMU slot but that would add unnecessary bulk, so there was the notch underneath the VMU slot to hold the wire.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                the Saturn 3D Pad, which was kinda a forerunner of the Dreamcast pad, allowed you to disconnect the cable from the controller. The cable was left with a kind of "chunk" on the end which slotted into the controller.

There's probably some torturous design reason for this, maybe to do with the internals.
                That was cool! I wonder if it was because the pad was already quite large and the cable would need clearance.
                Last edited by randombs; 17-10-2019, 03:17.

Comment

I believe the intention with the Saturn’s 3D pad was to add other peripherals to that cable. A tilt sensor was mooted for Nights as an example. Maybe Sega already had stuff like Samba and Bass Fishing in mind but the relative failure of the Saturn saw all that moved to the DC.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    I believe the intention with the Saturn’s 3D pad was to add other peripherals to that cable. A tilt sensor was mooted for Nights as an example. Maybe Sega already had stuff like Samba and Bass Fishing in mind but the relative failure of the Saturn saw all that moved to the DC.
                    This doesn't surprise me. I can't describe why but the Saturn 3D pad looks like this would be true.

Comment

Haha that makes more sense!

Comment

It's surprising Sega looked at the N64 controller and a second stick never came to mind.

Comment

I still can’t believe they went for six buttons with DC, even after having eight on the Saturn 3D pad.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            I still can’t believe they went for six buttons with DC, even after having eight on the Saturn 3D pad.
                            Yeah, that surprised me too. It's odd, as it was a bit of a regressive step.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                              Apparently, when SEGA was conducting tests people were comparing 6 face buttons was too confusing

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Apparently, when SEGA was conducting tests people were comparing 6 face buttons was too confusing
                                I guess I can see it. I mean, very few pads have had six face buttons, on the whole.

The Xbox did, but two of them were the smaller black/white buttons which were explicitly reserved for special functions, and not to be used as main buttons. The N64 did, but four of them were the c-buttons that were like a second d-pad. The Megadrive did, but the 6-button pad was never the machine's primary pad design (apart from on spinoffs like the Multimega which came with one).

Is the Saturn the only console with a 6-button layout by default?

Comment

Working...
                                X