User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Here's a Dreamcast question: anyone know if there was any logic to the wire going into the bottom of the controller rather than the top? Just to accommodate the VMU, you reckon?
    I'm not sure. There was the rumble pack too, I guess?

It's strange, though. Similarly, the Saturn 3D Pad, which was kinda a forerunner of the Dreamcast pad, allowed you to disconnect the cable from the controller. The cable was left with a kind of "chunk" on the end which slotted into the controller.

There's probably some torturous design reason for this, maybe to do with the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Here's a Dreamcast question: anyone know if there was any logic to the wire going into the bottom of the controller rather than the top? Just to accommodate the VMU, you reckon?
    Check this out:

Maybe they could've had the wire popping out from under the lower VMU slot but that would add unnecessary bulk, so there was the notch underneath the VMU slot to hold the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    the Saturn 3D Pad, which was kinda a forerunner of the Dreamcast pad, allowed you to disconnect the cable from the controller. The cable was left with a kind of "chunk" on the end which slotted into the controller.

There's probably some torturous design reason for this, maybe to do with the internals.
    That was cool! I wonder if it was because the pad was already quite large and the cable would need clearance.
    Last edited by randombs; Yesterday at 03:17 AM.

I believe the intention with the Saturnís 3D pad was to add other peripherals to that cable. A tilt sensor was mooted for Nights as an example. Maybe Sega already had stuff like Samba and Bass Fishing in mind but the relative failure of the Saturn saw all that moved to the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcK View Post
    I believe the intention with the Saturn’s 3D pad was to add other peripherals to that cable. A tilt sensor was mooted for Nights as an example. Maybe Sega already had stuff like Samba and Bass Fishing in mind but the relative failure of the Saturn saw all that moved to the DC.
    This doesn't surprise me. I can't describe why but the Saturn 3D pad looks like this would be true.

It's surprising Sega looked at the N64 controller and a second stick never came to mind.