No announcement yet.

Death Stranding (Kojima Productions) PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it even a different save file or whatever? Microsoft are the ones who did it right.

Comment

MS nailed this but I guess mainly because they use cloud saves for everything and built smart delivery on top of that so you just get the correct version of the game for the console you're on.

I realise it's different for Sony but you'd think they'd make sure where there were PS5 upgrades to titles there was a clear and standard process, even if it's a slightly more convoluted one.

Comment

Transfaring

Comment

Might be a case by case basis based on the dev for Sony. In MS case i think they’ve been working this cloud based system since shortly after the 360 was released?

In death strandings case this may be on purpose, kojima does do some real weird things sometimes.

Comment

PS5 being able to read PS4 saves wasn't ready at launch and only recently become part of the SDK. Since games releasing at the moment will have implemented this months ago, we still have to jump through these nonsense hoops. MS are so much better that this. Downloads the correct version automatically, save games work and no extra charge.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Might be a case by case basis based on the dev for Sony. In MS case i think they’ve been working this cloud based system since shortly after the 360 was released?
              Microsoft's games are built these days via an API called UWP, which stands for Universal Windows Platform, which they kicked off around the time the Xbox One came out, and games were expected to have some degree of mutual intelligibility with Windows 8 and Windows Phone.

Windows Phone obviously didn't work out, but the Windows/Xbox cross-compatibility prevailed. That means Microsoft have a strong financial incentive to maintain platform-agnostic data.

I think the PS4-5 upgrade is the first time Sony have formally supported 2 platforms in this way, and, admittedly, I believe after you upgrade these saves to PS5, you can't go back (Microsoft's system allows you to do that, because no change takes place). Like I think you can transfer PSP savedata to PSVita but through a roundabout way that they didn't expect the general public to use.

Comment

I know what UWP means but thanks for the mansplain 😁, all jokes aside, what i meant was MS have been using cloud saves since shortly after 360 launched, so had a good head start on Sony on this front, plus all their windows experience, then they pretty much perfected it on Xbox one just having it ubiquitous and even cross windows saves as well.

Given the actual numbers though that would use this feature regularly however it’s understandable why it isn’t a priority for Sony.

Comment

Steam have had cloud saving for ages now too which really was good news when I had to do a full OS re-install recently wiping the hidden userdata folder. I lost a 80 odd hour Witcher 3 save as that was a GoG install (part way into the DLCs), but losing progress in everything would have been annoying.

Factorio broke their old save games recently with release versions - that was annoying to lose a 120+ hour factory - so yeah, save game compatibility is an important feature for me and things like this which should be relatively straight forward to implement can ruin the experience.

At least there is a method to do it, even if it's a little cumbersome.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    I know what UWP means but thanks for the mansplain ��,
                    Saucer of milk table 2

i didn't know about this makes sense and is pretty sensible, it explains why the Backwards compatibility for Microsoft seems so effortless on xbox series x as everything is already baked in.

Comment

Working...
                    X