Ninja Commando - 1992
    Spinmaster - 1993
    Top Hunter - 1994
    Neo Drift Out - 1996
    OverTop - 1996
    Shock Troopers - 1997
    Magical Drop III - 1997
    Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - 1998

Here we have a collection of Neo Geo gems. Choose 5 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-09-2019, 11:30.

-Top Hunter
    -Shock Troopers
    -Neo Drift Out

I can't reach 5 myself, I've probably played Magician Lord the most of them myself but I admit I never got the game - always thought it sucked

Comment

Although I've probably put a fair bit of time in to all of them, I doubt there are five in that list I'd genuinely want to sit and play now. So it'll probably be three from me too.

NAM '75 - The first cart I bought with my first AES back in the 90's. Probably just as well I went with this as it was easily the best of the early games, and it was a long time before I owned any more carts after that initial purchase! Brilliant to play, even better in two player, still play it on occasion all this time later.

Shock Troopers - Up there with the best the Neo has to offer in my opinion, just an absolutely cracking game. I did have a real soft spot for 2nd Squad for a long time as I owned the home cart and didn't have as much exposure to the first game, but once I had this on MVS it was clear what a step down the follow up was, even if I do still enjoy it.

Top Hunter - it's not amazing, but just has a real charm about it that the Neo seems to somehow manage with many titles. Another I'd still happily play now, I love it graphically and it had some nice mechanics to the gameplay with the separate depths.

Some of the games in that list though, what needs to be said? They were ****e then and they're ****e now, time won't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

always thought it sucked

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        They were ****e then and they're ****e now, time won't change that.

Originally posted by Colin View Post

Shock Troopers - Up there with the best the Neo has to offer in my opinion, just an absolutely cracking game.

Top Hunter - it's not amazing, but just has a real charm about it that the Neo seems to somehow manage with many titles.
        I share your sentiments on both games. Two glowing highlights of Neo Geo gaming away from all the fighters and shoot 'em ups.

I wouldn't say there's a truly bad game in there. Some aren't 10/10 top quality titles, but they're at least good next to some of the dire games lurking on other 16-bit systems. I'd be happy to play any of them.

Comment

I used to scoff as Thrash Rally seeing it in arcades really didnt look like much, until years later got the CD version and fell in love. Not a lot too it but the controls are tight and the music is superb!

Also underrated element of Top Hunter is the sound, some intersting BGM and great sound fx.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            I used to scoff as Thrash Rally seeing it in arcades really didnt look like much, until years later got the CD version and fell in love. Not a lot too it but the controls are tight and the music is superb!
            I really like how vibrant and clean the graphics are. As you say, it also plays well. One of my favourite top-down racers.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Also underrated element of Top Hunter is the sound, some intersting BGM and great sound fx.
            It does the hardware justice in all areas. Such a classic game that will always be worth playing.

Comment

Wot no Legend of Success Joe or Riding Hero? Might as well include them as they’re mostly gash. I remember thinking Magician Lord was the biggest waste of £70 when I bought it and shudder to think what the cart might go for these days.

I really like ‘Nam 75, Shock Troopers and Neo Driftout. Those are really good games. I suppose I’d have to go with Thrash Rally and Shock Troopers 2 as my others as they are decent at least.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  Wot no Legend of Success Joe or Riding Hero?
                  I don't mind including games that might be rated around 5/10, but I wouldn't include titles that are widely considered to be rubbish. I don't think anyone has a soft spot for a dire game like Riding Hero.

I remember thinking Magician Lord was the biggest waste of £70 when I bought it and shudder to think what the cart might go for these days.
                  I've always liked Magician Lord, but I know it's quite a marmite game. It was as cheap as £40 a few years ago, but I think it goes for over £150 these days.

I really like ‘Nam 75, Shock Troopers and Neo Driftout. Those are really good games. I suppose I’d have to go with Thrash Rally and Shock Troopers 2 as my others as they are decent at least.
                  I'd say they're all good to great games. Shock Troopers is my pick of the bunch.

[MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION]

That's some decent 90s drum & bass.

Comment

I've played Thrash Rally, The Super Spy, OverTop and Shock Troopers of this list. Thrash Rally is the only one I've played on actual Neo Geo hardware.

I love Shock Troopers. Thrash Rally and OverTop are OK. The Super Spy is pants.

I'd like to tryo Neo Drift Out some day. Hope it comes to the Switch. It's amazing that there was never a decent racing game with good graphics on the Neo Geo.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      It's amazing that there was never a decent racing game with good graphics on the Neo Geo.
                      Yeah, it's a shame the tech wasn't used to make a few sprite scaling racers. But I guess devs didn't think the hardware could compete with the tech Sega etc.. were using for sprite scaling racers in the arcades. I think we'd have got some if devs didn't have to think about the arcade aspect of the Neo Geo.

Comment

My top 5:

Blue's Journey - It's far from a showcase of the tech, but I really like the colourful graphics and overall design.
                        Shock Troopers - A great looking run-'n-gun game that's a lot of fun to play.
                        Magician Lord - I've always liked the detailed graphics and overall design. A simple but fun slice of arcade action.
                        Cyber-Lip - Nice graphics, lots of action, and fun gameplay.
                        Spinmaster - Absolutely stunning graphics that makes it feel like an interactive cartoon. A really fun game to play through.

Honourable mentions go to Thrash Rally, Ninja Commando, Top Hunter, and NAM-1975.

Comment

Sorry Leon but I dont care for a single game in that list :x

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                            Sorry Leon but I dont care for a single game in that list :x
                            That seems to be the general consensus. I guess people only want the 'finest' Neo Geo games.

They're all sort of 'B-movie' games, but I'd say none are truly bad. I'm fond of quite a few of them. I thought it would be interesting to focus on B-tier Neo Geo games, but obviously no-one shares my interest in them. I really do think the likes of Top Hunter, Spinmaster, and Blue's Journey are gems that deserve recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              That seems to be the general consensus. I guess people only want the 'finest' Neo Geo games.

They're all sort of 'B-movie' games, but I'd say none are truly bad. I'm fond of quite a few of them. I thought it would be interesting to focus on B-tier Neo Geo games, but obviously no-one shares my interest in them. I really do think the likes of Top Hunter, Spinmaster, and Blue's Journey are gems that deserve recognition.
                              I enjoyed it, but then I am a student of teh neos.

Comment

Working...
                              X