Gears 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears 5

I'm very early into this via the PC version but the first things that hit you are two-fold. The first is that the reviews are absolutely spot on, player control is very smooth but the combat and movement has lost the series sense of weight and impact. It's hard to pinpoint why but my first thoughts lean towards a heavy reduction in recoil and there being light feedback from the rumble of the controller.

The second is that this runs like a dream, the game is running at 60fps with every setting on Ultra at 4K without even a sign of a hitch. I've read claims that it's the best looking game on the market, I'd immediately disagree with that because I feel it's fairly obvious how it's pulling this trick off. The game makes careful use of 2D elements and the much talked about impressive character models are done via the old trick of cutscene models being of greater detail than in-game ones. Animation may be smooth but it's not elaborate and a scrutinising eye can tell that many individual textures aren't that high res or detailed meaning it's not all that demanding on the system.

However this speaks to the optimising thoughts the devs have put into the game to ensure it runs so well, the image is incredibly clean and crisp with the series making use of more colour than before which means any spectacle is immediately impressive and makes an impact.

Otherwise, minus the weight of combat, it's more of the same in terms of the opening so I'm presuming that much of the single player experience will come down to how much of a spectacle and roller coaster the campaign is in comparison to the previous 5 games campaigns. First impressions though suggest this will be at the least a more self-confident title than Gears 4 was.
    1 - Tears of War
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Hold My Beers of War
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - Gears of War Never Changes
    0%

Had some goes of excape last night with team juans, very enjoyable. The first level in the rocket silo thingy was awesome too.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls
      minus the weight of combat
      I've never been the biggest Gears fan but this is disappointing. One thing I did like was the weightiness of the physics and beefy weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        Had some goes of excape last night with team juans, very enjoyable. The first level in the rocket silo thingy was awesome too.
        Yeah, the game is awesome fun. It's so fast and smooth and just I love the mindless simple clean fun of it all.
        The sound almost as good as the visuals too, genuinely put the sh!ts up me, in places.

Comment

How does the campaign hold up in single-player?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            How does the campaign hold up in single-player?
            The best since the 2nd. It's more Gears just with insane action and bigger set pieces and also a little bit of a story too LOL
            It's also a true showcase for the One X. The Snow level and the game's lighting are sensational (No kryss it's not my GOTY btw)

Comment

The HDR implementation and lighting is excellent on the One X. Just started act 4 after the brilliant act 3

Comment

I'm on Act II. Didn't really notice the weight until you mentioned it, but it feels like I've just gotten used to it already.

Gotta mention Dolby Atmos in this. Freaking glorious audio on this... Matches the visuals in every regard. Really is the best technical showcase so far for the X and it's great to see (according to digital foundry) that the PC version isn't half assed either. Well done to the Coalition, if all MS first party output is like this going forward for PC they'll be making that game pass a mandatory pick up.

I'm now very hyped for next gen and Halo Infinite...

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

Gotta mention Dolby Atmos in this. Freaking glorious audio on this... Matches the visuals in every regard. Really is the best technical showcase so far for the X and it's great to see (according to digital foundry) that the PC version isn't half assed either. .
                  Yeah its the best sounding game of this generation and the game really is a showcase for the One X

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    The best since the 2nd. It's more Gears just with insane action and bigger set pieces and also a little bit of a story too LOL
                    It's also a true showcase for the One X. The Snow level and the game's lighting are sensational (No kryss it's not my GOTY btw)
                    You say that, but you might change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      You say that, but you might change your mind.
                      No, at the moment its Detroit: become human.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        No, at the moment its Detroit: become human.
                        What year is it?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          What year is it?
                          The year I played Detroit and didn't hold a SONY or Nintendo grudge

Comment

Detroit is on Switch?

...I feel we're getting off topic here.

Comment

As much as I’m really enjoying Gears 5, more than 4, it not gonna be my GOTY.
                              I’ve saved that spot for Majora’s Mask.

Comment

Working...
                              X