Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryss View Post
    Detroit is on Switch?
    No, It's on the PS4 and I'm loving it and where I really care for the game world and its characters. The game is just incredible!
    Still, I won't let that spoil your Nintendo and SONY grudge; So I'll take it all back and say GEAR V is the best game ever and GOTY

Comment

#SarcasmFailureDetected

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        #SarcasmFailureDetected
        Well TBH, I still want to make Detroit: become human my GOTY but the game makes my PS4 Pro too noisy

#PowerOfX

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          #PowerOfX

Malcolm?

Comment

Professor?

As for playing so far, it has a different feel in multiplayer for sure. Still unsure about how I like it or not! Haven’t even started campaign yet.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              Malcolm?
              No, Just X

Comment

I'm getting into Act III now and... it's definitely a better campaign experience than Gears 4 was. That being said there's nothing really new to the game, it's still broadly the same as it was last gen with the open area sequences being just filler that doesn't add anything. The end section of Act II was good though and the game knows how to deliver spectacle.

I've definitely come down on the side that Gears 5 is good looking but it's not a hardware showcase in my eyes. It's a game that is incredibly easy to look at and think it looks great but it's the super clean image quality and the devs artistic direction that's doing all the heavy lifting. Many key shots like the mountain and jungle are just flat 2D images and as soon as you walk up to objects it exposes that the game is relying on low resolution textures. It's a system pushing game but its the base Xbox One that's being pushed really. It certainly speaks to The Coalition though, their second entry and they've got a handle on the series much stronger than 343 have managed with the now wayward Halo series,

Comment

Never really got into the gears of chore games; although they always look nice. Does it still take a full bullet clip to take down an enemy?

Comment

Finally got the chance to put a couple of hours into this. So far, so Gears (4). Bit of mindless fun. Looks good and sounds good.

One thing I would like to praise is the subtitles. Specifically the subtitles relating to grunts, groans, creaks, collapses and other non-word based subtitles. I can imagine that they’re really useful for those with hearing impairments. Some of them are also really funny. I forget the specific wording of one that made me laugh out loud (genuinely) but it was something like, “Marcus: Deep, sarcastic grumble with menacing undertones that would make the manliest of men retract his testicles into his gut.”

Okay. I might be embellishing slightly but I think I’ve captured the spirit and it did genuinely make me laugh.
                    Last edited by Paulos G; 16-09-2019, 19:19. Reason: Stray “the” that snuck in while I wasn’t looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      I'm getting into Act III now and... it's definitely a better campaign experience than Gears 4 was. That being said there's nothing really new to the game, it's still broadly the same as it was last gen with the open area sequences being just filler that doesn't add anything. The end section of Act II was good though and the game knows how to deliver spectacle.

I've definitely come down on the side that Gears 5 is good looking but it's not a hardware showcase in my eyes. It's a game that is incredibly easy to look at and think it looks great but it's the super clean image quality and the devs artistic direction that's doing all the heavy lifting. Many key shots like the mountain and jungle are just flat 2D images and as soon as you walk up to objects it exposes that the game is relying on low resolution textures. It's a system pushing game but its the base Xbox One that's being pushed really. It certainly speaks to The Coalition though, their second entry and they've got a handle on the series much stronger than 343 have managed with the now wayward Halo series,
                      I'll agree with that... The outside open sections in Act II already look a little off due to less lighting and other niceties you get in the closer quarters areas... But still, it's well executed and I've loved some of the last pieces so far. It's still showing some great gameplay touches and small advancements which are far more important than the graphics.

Comment

I did Act 3, Chapter 1 last night and have to say - easily the ugliest part of the game so far. It's staggering just how hard the visual quality dropped off on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                          Finally got the chance to put a couple of hours into this. So far, so Gears (4).
                          I do miss the more spooky and dark setting of Gears and those wind flares. Gears V is stunning mind a real technical due force with some of the best use of HDR and lighting yet

Simple mindless fun, No fussing with endless menu screens, just straight into action and tons and tons of it.

Comment

Tonight I might finish this, I'm on Act IV-Chapter II which is the final one in the game. It's picked up a bit but personally Act III was a real lull.

One thing I know I want from Gears 6 next gen is a better sense of this being a lived in world. The arc of Gears covers nearly three decades yet there's little visual arc to the state of the world, the ruins you run around in Gears 5 look just like the ones from Gears 1 barring a bit more colour. The story tells you that you're saving humanity from the enemy threat but in game there's pretty much zero sign anyone but a dozen COG soldiers exist in it which really undersells the threat, the scale of the mission you're undertaking in Gears 4 and 5 feels really small and low stakes. I want to battle the enemies as they assault a city in which civilians are desperately trying to flee, chainsawing one before turning and seeing someone get snatched into the ground etc. The world of Gears is pretty but its pretty lifeless and it'd help to amp up the stakes to feel like the Gears weren't the only thing present in the world.

Comment

Hivebusters - What to say, it's nice but what I want is to stop giving easier passes to Xbox stuff just because of the £ value Game Pass slides stuff under with. As far as a SP DLC goes it's fine, serviceable stuff. The new team element kind of flew me by because honestly I don't really remember them from Gears 5, GOW kind of prides itself more than it should for its story which is mostly fluff nonsense that repeats each game so because these weren't the main focus they mustn't have sunk into my mind much.

I liked the more colourful approach to the visuals, from an art style perspective it suits the series more the more it moves away from the 360 era grey tones. It always takes some getting used to as to how dated the series plays these days but you quickly adapt and it's still good fun. Graphics wise, it's very clean and crisp and 60fps buttery smooth. I still can't get on board with the idea that it's one of the best looking games around though. It feels like it's still and example case for why MS's 60fps will bite them on the ass in time because the character animation is well behind other first party titles the second you're in gameplay, the game world is still very small and most of the time you're shown sprawling vista's they're still made up of at least 50% obvious high res jpeg. The clarity kind of undermines the technicality of the visuals revealing the still beating X360 heart underneath.

It's a fun little extra slice that mixes things up enough for its slim run time but it's also a reaffirming reminder for me that it's long since time now that the Gears franchise is due either a full ground up reworking or retiring

Comment

Working...
                              X