No announcement yet.

Philips CD-i quezzie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Quezzie" makes a quezber about potential piracy seem both innocent and groom-able at the same time.

Gotta ask the right quezbers, quezboes.

Apparently controller not working but machine powers up and spins discs.

Quesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be a 'retro gamer'.

I forgot about the gold N64 -- only have a gold controller.

I'm sort of tempted to buy a CD-i, but I'll probably be able to resist the urge. Although, I have a box of Taiyo Yuden's.

P.S. That Leon statue is awesome.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-09-2019, 04:55.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Both formats have no copy protection and are straight burns.....
        Jazz, just use quality media like verbatim
        As stated, no copy protection for CDi.

If the original disc is so badly scratched there's no chance you can rip the data and burn a copy without scratches. You'll need to download the ISO and then load it up in your favourite burning prog and hit "BURN". I use ImgBurn with Taiyo Yuden discs.

Space Ace is part of a batch of super easy to find downloads for CDi, in a neat ZIP file, with pre-made burnable files. I actually tried backing up my discs, and as some alluded to, sometimes it did not like doing this. Even with the discontinued DiscJuggler. So I redownloaded my games for reburn.

Literally 1 second of Googling brought up Space Ace and a dozen others.

Sadly, not all CDi games have been dumped. There was a super rare sim management style game, a bit like Theme Park, but involving the petrol industry.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Sadly apart from the cover and a YouTube video, I have never seen this for sale or download. I have doubts how many copies even exist in the wild.

I genuinely loved the CDi, even though the hardware was garbage.

There were enough system exclusives which were incredible to warrant owning it. Lazer Lords for example, there is no other game on that scale, or with that level of complexity. Visit a solar system of planets, solve side-quests (some of which are traps which lead to game over), collect language/words to use as items, and explore a variety of distinct alien cultures based on human history. It's utterly bat****, and rather engrossing.

Oh, and I should add, CDi emulation is finally at a pretty good stage thanks to MESS/MAME. There's even a working emulator for the original Xbox, though the framerate is a bit choppy. I run it on my PC and it's great. Compatibility is "not bad" at the moment, and it will only improve with time. Though sadly games requiring the digital video card don't work - yet!
        Last edited by Sketcz; 16-09-2019, 07:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be a 'retro gamer'.
          I love retro gaming because even while emu is brilliant and half the time so much easier and simple. Nothing can recreate what it's like to hold an N64 pad or the perfect controls of Monkey ball on the Cube controller and while I only have 2 Neo Geo AES games, nothing beats playing a Neo Geo on an AES with those pads. It's so sad but I like the loading screens to Zx Spectrum games, just brings back all the happy gaming memories.

32-Bit era was the best for me mind (sorry I know you love the 16-bit era) . Mind you I also think this gen is incredible too.

Comment

I love retro gaming because even while emu is brilliant and half the time so much easier and simple. Nothing can recreate what it's like to hold an N64 pad or the perfect controls of Monkey ball on the Cube controller
            Yeah, there's something special about using genuine hardware and controllers. You definitely get a different vibe from the experience over using emulation. When emulation is accurate enough to feel convincing, then I'm happy to have the convenience of emulators. I'll never sell all my hardware though, because it's always nice to have that option when I feel like a trip down memory lane. It feels like a ritual when I set up a certain console and have a long session.

It's so sad but I like the loading screens to Zx Spectrum games, just brings back all the happy gaming memories.
            Yeah, loading screens were a memorable part of gaming on 8-bit computers. The way the screens were gradually drawn to reveal the full image was something you didn't get with later machines. It's all part of nostalgia.

32-Bit era was the best for me mind (sorry I know you love the 16-bit era) . Mind you I also think this gen is incredible too.
            I'm definitely fond of the 32-bit era, but my main passion is 16-bit. I can definitely appreciate why you love the Saturn so much, as it really is a special machine that unfairly has a negative image in the West. In Japan it was a huge thing.

I have loads of Saturns, PlayStations, N64s, two 3DOs, a Jaguar etc... So I'm not too obsessed with 16-bit. Although, I'd definitely choose 16-bit if I could only have one generation of machines and games.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-09-2019, 20:59.

Comment

Yeah, there's something special about using genuine hardware and controllers. You definitely get a different vibe from the experience over using emulation. When emulation is accurate enough to feel convincing, then I'm happy to have the convenience of emulators. I'll never sell all my hardware though, because it's always nice to have that option when I feel like a trip down memory lane. It feels like a ritual when I set up a certain console and have a long session..
              I use emu a lot on the shield, but you don't that feeling, like one does with a genuine N64 pad or Neo Geo Stick

Yeah, loading screens were a memorable part of gaming on 8-bit computers.
              Yep,I remember back in the day I thought it was incredible that the loading screen had art that looked so close to the box art.

I'm definitely fond of the 32-bit era, but my main passion is 16-bit.
              I love all the era's tbh. I so enjoyed the 8 Bit era with the ZX Spec and Master System. The 32Bit era was all the more special because I was working full time, young free and single LOL, after paying mum £5 lodge I had loads of cash on the hip ready to spend on games and drinking each and every week. It was a time when all my mates all seemed to have a gaming system of some sort and where you would always game in gangs in your or your mate's house.

Anytime one of us had a new game, you'll be over to play it. It was a great period.

Comment

It was a time when all my mates all seemed to have a gaming system of some sort and where you would always game in gangs in your or your mate's house.
                16-bit gaming is what brought friends and family together. The Amiga was a big part of that -- with games like Kick Off 2, Speedball 2, Lotus 1 & 2, Sensible Soccer etc... I used to spend so much time playing against people having tournaments.

Then we had the SNES with SF2, which was an incredibly big thing that everyone wanted to play. It encouraged some of my mates to buy a SNES. Then SMK became the 'must-have' game that everyone was obsessed with.

I also like how 16-bit delivered so many great shoot 'em ups, platformers, puzzlers, run-'n-gun etc... The upgrade in graphics, audio and gameplay over 8-bit was incredible. So the 16-bit era really resonates as being something extra special.

I do have really fond memories of buying the Saturn, PlayStation, and N64 though. They all offered a huge leap in 3D that blew me away. I loved games like Sega Rally, Ridge Racer, Wave Race 64, and all the Saturn shoot 'em ups that were doing stuff way beyond 16-bit. I definitely miss the vibe of '90s gaming.

Comment

16-bit gaming is what brought friends and family together. The Amiga was a big part of that -- with games like Kick Off 2, Speedball 2, Lotus 1 & 2, Sensible Soccer etc... I used to spend so much time playing against people having tournaments.
                  For me, it was the 8 bit age. In my area, there was a huge ZX Sprectrum craze almost everyone body had one (gamers or non-gamers) and one would go to Junior school and come back with a mates ZX Spec game copy it and play it. with the Master system, I made so many new school friends over that

There was one game that before Sensible or SF II, that really united us gamers in my school and where we played tournaments for the 1st time and that was Jimmy White Snooker; That was really massive in my school and then came John Madden and 92 and it got crazy. Groups of us would sneak into each house late at night to play it on the Big TV and mitch school to play it and then you had the SF II and Sensible Soccer craze

Those days were brilliant, but one was limited to funds of the parents and pocket money. In the 32-Bit era working full time I was importing a new game every week, one was also finding out the wonders of drink. One would have drunken group sessions gaming and you friends would introduce you, to their Uni or work friends You'll make new friends and game and drink all the more

I miss the days of 10 player drunken Bomber Man, 8 players drunken Fifa 96, 4 players drunken Mario Kart 64 and GoldenEye, never mind all-time classics, like Decathlete and Sensible World of Soccer

They all offered a huge leap in 3D that blew me away. I loved games like Sega Rally, Ridge Racer, Wave Race 64
                  I remember the day I got Wave Race 64 on Import. My and my brother both had a day off work that day and we played Wave Race 64 was like 6 hours straight. That game was so good I used to enjoy watching my brother play the single mode.
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 18-09-2019, 12:25.

Comment

For me, it was the 8 bit age. In my area, there was a huge ZX Sprectrum craze almost everyone body had one (gamers or non-gamers) and one would go to Junior school and come back with a mates ZX Spec game copy it and play it. with the Master system, I made so many new school friends over that
                    Yep deffo the 8 bit era.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                      Yep deffo the 8 bit era.
                      Yeah, the Master System was massive in my area at the time and I used to Zx Spectrum. You could go into Newsagents in the morning on the way to school, buy a 10 pence mix and also a brand new ZX Spectrum LOL

Comment

Yeah, the Master System was massive in my area at the time and I used to Zx Spectrum. You could go into Newsagents in the morning on the way to school, buy a 10 pence mix and also a brand new ZX Spectrum LOL
                        Wow. How much pocket money did you get!?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Wow. How much pocket money did you get!?
                          In the Master System days £5 a week

Comment

, buy a 10 pence mix and also a brand new ZX Spectrum LOL

I loved £1.99(or £2.99 if I had plenty of cash ) games. The box art on lots of them was really eye-catching and stirred my imagination. Luckily, a lot of them were actually decent games. A few were terrible, but a lot were gems.

Used to spend ages looking through them every week trying to work out what to buy. And family members didn't mind buying them in petrol stations and video shops etc... because they were so cheap. Meant that I had a really big collection after a few years. Then sold it all around 1989-1990 when 16-bit took over.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2019, 13:03.

Comment

Walking home from the paper shop, with a 1/4 of midget gems (lyons), a copy of Your Sinclair, and £1.99 speccy game.

MAGIC TIMES

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                Walking home from the paper shop, with a 1/4 of midget gems (lyons), a copy of Your Sinclair, and £1.99 speccy game.

MAGIC TIMES
                                And a packet of Space Raider crisps . Brilliant times

Comment

Working...
                                X