Philips CD-i quezzie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips CD-i quezzie

Basically, my skint mate's picked up a Philips CD-i console with no games. He's a bit of a retro trader, scavenging things on the cheap, finds stuff for pennies.

Anyway, I've had this little bundle of CD-i games I got from Cashies for 49p a pop for ages, Caesars World of Gambling, World Cup Golf and Space Ace, gonna pass em on so he can sell as a bundle.

Only prob is the Space Ace disc. It's practically split in two with scratches.

Know it's kinda a dodgy question (tho I kinda own the original) but is it easy to burn CD-i games, it'd be nice to have a playable disc in there as the packaging is complete?

If a dodgy quezzie, mods please delete.

Don’t know the answer but question is fine mate. You clearly have the original game. Hope someone can help.

Comment

Cheers Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        Cheers Brad.
        CDI games aren't that easy to burn, say like Mega CD games . I seem to remembere you need a programme

Comment

Yeah, it's looking complex. It's a pity, the case is ace. As ace as space.

Comment

A sticker on the front of the Space Ace case says it requires the Digital Video cartridge.

Might this mean the disc would just contain audio/video? And would this influence disc burnage?

I think the spawny get got the cartridge, as well, plus the instruction manuals for both components. Lucky git but nice geezer so deserves it!

Comment

. Lucky git but nice geezer so deserves it!
              I don't think anyone deserves a CD-i.

TA is fond of the machine though, so I guess it has some retro charm. The Apprentice looks like a decent game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I don't think anyone deserves a CD-i.

TA is fond of the machine though, so I guess it has some retro charm. The Apprentice looks like a decent game.
                Still, have mine. It's so bad it good. The CD-i is quite unlike most gaming consoles

Comment

A sticker on the front of the Space Ace case says it requires the Digital Video cartridge.

Might this mean the disc would just contain audio/video? And would this influence disc burnage?

I think the spawny get got the cartridge, as well, plus the instruction manuals for both components. Lucky git but nice geezer so deserves it!
                  No, it goes for all CD-i games (from what I remember) Space Ace and Dragon Lair II look incredible on the CD-i. Some wonderful use of MPEG I really like Lost Eden and 7th Hour on the system too

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    CDI games aren't that easy to burn, say like Mega CD games . I seem to remembere you need a programme
                    Both formats have no copy protection and are straight burns.....

Jazz, just use quality media like verbatim

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      Both formats have no copy protection and are straight burns.....
                      I don't think they aren't straight burns. It was nowhere as easy as burning a Mega CD, 3DO, Neo Geo CD game. I only have originals for my CD-i but my 2 mates who owned a CD-i a few years back and liked to burn stuff, or use my games to copy (Like for the Mega CD) had issues.
                      I seem to remember one needing to download a program

Comment

According to a very quick search (first hit with "CD-i copy protection"), CD-i discs don't have any copy protection but there might be problems copying them because they are slightly out of spec.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                          According to a very quick search (first hit with "CD-i copy protection"), CD-i discs don't have any copy protection but there might be problems copying them because they are slightly out of spec.
                          http://www.icdia.co.uk/faq/cdifaq10.html
                          I just remember that some of my mates used to borrow my Mega CD and Neo Geo CD games copy them and burn their copies and they'll work fine no issues at all, much the same for 3DO. When it came to CD-i game they wouldn't work. It was a while back now and I'm not sure of the reasons TBH. I just remember it wasn't a simple burn

Comment

No copy protection but unusual layout with the various formats spread across the disc e.g. video, audio, code. You need specific brands and models of cd writers to do it as they need to be able to write to areas that are out of spec. Plextor drives are often able to do this but that’s as much as I know.

Comment

I have to be honest, I’m a little disappointed by the mods that this thread hasn’t been deleted and JazzFunk hasn’t at least been cautioned if not outright banned.

I mean, “quezzie”?

Comment

Working...
                              X