X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 60 - Clint Eastwood

The final entry into Critics Club II is here:

Do you feel lucky?

Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time
    Francis in the Navy
    0%
    The First Travelling Saleslady
    0%
    Ambush at Cimerron Pass
    0%
    Hell Bent for Glory
    0%
    A Fistful of Dollars
    0%
    For A Few Dollars More
    0%
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    0%
    The Witches
    0%
    Hang 'em High
    0%
    Coogan's Bluff
    0%
    Where Eagles Dare
    0%
    Paint Your Wagon
    0%
    Two Mules for Sister Sara
    0%
    Kelly's Heroes
    0%
    The Beguiled
    0%
    Play Misty for Me
    0%
    Dirty Harry
    0%
    Joe Kidd
    0%
    High Plains Drifter
    0%
    Magnum Force
    0%
    Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
    0%
    The Eiger Sanction
    0%
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    0%
    The Enforcer
    0%
    The Gauntlet
    0%
    Every Which Way But Loose
    0%
    Escape from Alcatraz
    0%
    Bronco Billy
    0%
    Any Which Way You Can
    0%
    Firefox
    0%
    Honkytonk Man
    0%
    Sudden Impact
    0%
    Tightrope
    0%
    City Heat
    0%
    Pale Rider
    0%
    Heartbreak Ridge
    0%
    The Dead Pool
    0%
    Pink Cadillac
    0%
    White Hunter Black Heart
    0%
    The Rookie
    0%
    Unforgiven
    0%
    In the Line of Fire
    0%
    A Perfect World
    0%
    The Bridges of Madison County
    0%
    Absolute Power
    0%
    True Crime
    0%
    Spce Cowboys
    0%
    Blood Work
    0%
    Million Dollar Baby
    0%
    Gran Torino
    0%
    Trouble with the Curve
    0%
    The Mule
    0%

Legend. So many iconic moments. It was so nearly The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but Unforgiven is his finest moment I think.

Comment

He always has the cool lines. I like all his Dirty Harry films, even if they are a bit silly.

Crook: Who's "we", sucka?
      Harry Callahan: [puts his coffee on the table] Smith...and Wesson...and me.

Comment

Oooh, I was going to go straight to Dirty Harry (many for that amazing Lalo Schifrin soundtrack, if I'm honest), but then thought about his Westerns. Love his older Spaghetti Westerns, but his latter ones are also great.

Unforgiven is incredible and has so many deep characters and credit to Eastwood for also directing, but I'm actually going to go with Pale Rider, because it's also directed by him, but has a great vibe to it. You get the sense of the pioneers of the West trying to make a living, but corrupt businessmen and people who accept their money won't do things the honest way and it takes a preacher to sort them all out.

That final shootout is immense!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Legend. So many iconic moments. It was so nearly The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but Unforgiven is his finest moment I think.
          Freaky I was dropping in to this thread to write the exact same thing.

Comment

Too many legendary films really. For a Few Dollars More, is one of my fave westerns. Good, the Bad, epic masterpiece. I love the Any Which Way films, Kelly's Heroes great film. Also easy to forget Where Eagles Dare, that whole escape scene at the end is just a complete raucous roller coaster. Broadsword calling Danny Boy! Escape from Alcatraz is a classic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              Too many legendary films really. For a Few Dollars More, is one of my fave westerns. Good, the Bad, epic masterpiece. I love the Any Which Way films, Kelly's Heroes great film. Also easy to forget Where Eagles Dare, that whole escape scene at the end is just a complete raucous roller coaster. Broadsword calling Danny Boy! Escape from Alcatraz is a classic as well.
              I think you could ask me my fave Clint film and I'll have a different answer on different days.

Totally agree on Alcatraz! What a corker. There's a great vibe to it, quite a sinister soundtrack. Patrick McGoohan is terrifying as the Warden.

Comment

Yes, I love anything with Patrick McGoohan in

Comment

Joe Kidd, is cracking 70s western too. Like most 70s westerns, it has a really odd edgy vibe to it.

Comment

Yes, I love anything with Patrick McGoohan in
                    I went to Portmeirion again, last month. I absolutely love it there.

Joe Kidd, is cracking 70s western too. Like most 70s westerns, it has a really odd edgy vibe to it.
                    Ooh, not seen that one.
                    I think most of them are worth watching. "Hang 'em High" (not a school drama) and "High Plains Drifter" (not a car chase film) were mentioned as faves in the office.

"Two Mules..." is also a good one. Oh and the gattling gun scene in "...Josey Wales"!

"Play Misty..." has got a different feel for a Clint film. Normally he's this tough guy, but he's on the back foot, especially in the macho 70s.

I also love Firefox (the spy plane film, not the web browser), which has some great moments and Eastwood's scenes where he's having a breakdown from flashbacks are well-acted.

See?! Different film each time you ask!

Comment

Josey and Drifter are cracking too.

Comment

Voting for this will close midnight Sunday before we get onto the Grand Final.

It will come almost exactly five and a half years after the very first thread of the first Critics Club and fourteen months after the first thread of Critics Club II

Comment

Absolutely love these, Supes.
                          Thanks, as ever, for your contributions to the site!

Comment

Impossible to choose between Dirt Harry, Kelly's Heroes, The Good the Bad and Ugly.

From a Direction point of view, I love A Perfect World.

Comment

High Plains Drifter.

As my eyesight seems to be getting way worse these days, I keep scanning the thread title and seeing "C*nt Eastwood".

Anyone else get that? Need some bloody varifocals. Bet Clint's eyesight's still as sharp as a pin, fresh from the lathe.

Gran Torino made me cry at the cinema. Mildly, not letting people see or know. It was more a welling up where the tears brim right up and overflow slightly, burning the eyes, not a sob but not far off. Non-verbal.

It was a sad film. Great film, tbh.

Did you know he was the mayor of Caramel? Yeah, he invented the bar. Caramel, I mean. How ace is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X