Crap games you bought at launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    Only one I can think of was sonic adventure on Dreamcast when I got my import DC. Looked better than it played that’s for damn sure.
    Oh man, I still love Sonic Adventure!

I remember attempting to enjoy various games because I got it at launch and wanted to justify my purchase or because Magazines rated it highly but in the end, were a bit ****.

Timesplitters was one. It ran well, had a fun level editor and I think Edge rated it, but long loading, odd controls and a really boring and dull single player (And honestly, multiplayer too considering what was out there at the time) just dulled the game to me.

Timesplitters 2 is another story though. Despite some issues, it was the game the first should have been.

Comment

Yeah, I would dispute Sonic Adventure even counting at all, even if you hated it. Feels like the spirit of the thread is about those very poor early launch games where nobody knew what to do on a system and the great games just weren’t ready. Trick Style, yes. Sonic Adventure, not so much because it didn’t just vanish into obscurity when the better games came out.

I got Feel The Magic on the DS. It was enjoyable enough but essentially a set of random tech demos for the system rather than a proper game.

Comment

Gale Racer - SEGA Saturn

Killzone 4 - PS4

Perfect Dark Zero - 360

Earnest Evans - Mega CD

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Motorstorm
          As much as I'm a big fan of the first MotorStorm, I can appreciate why some people might say it's a bit bland overall. But it's no way near a "crap" game. The graphics were excellent for the time, as were the physics and feel of the game. I also liked the overall design that felt bold and exciting. I go back to it now and then, and it still holds up well.

Originally posted by Wools View Post

Timesplitters was one. It ran well, had a fun level editor and I think Edge rated it, but long loading, odd controls and a really boring and dull single player (And honestly, multiplayer too considering what was out there at the time) just dulled the game to me.
          I loved TimeSplitters back in early 2001. It was very rough around the edges -- but it ran really well. There was something very weird/unusual about the look and vibe of the game that grabbed me; I liked how abstract it felt next to FPS games striving for realism. There was old school charm, so it felt like coders from the '80s had created it.

I also have great memories of building levels and playing them against friends and family. The level editor was easy to use and worked really well.

I can appreciate why it wasn't a top quality, polished game, but I really enjoyed my time with it. So I would have probably awarded it 7/10. Far from a "crap" game.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-12-2019, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            As much as I'm a big fan of the first MotorStorm, I can appreciate why some people might say it's a bit bland overall. But it's no way near a "crap" game. The graphics were excellent for the time, as were the physics and feel of the game. I also liked the overall design that felt bold and exciting. I go back to it now and then, and it still holds up well.
            It looked amazing and blew away most 360 games too. Also, it was so much fun, I still love it. Still, love Sonic Adv too

Comment

motorstorm is a 7/10 all day long.

Comment

It was my first PS3 game. It was OK. I didn't fancy any other launch games.

Comment

The only console I've ever had at launch is the Xbox 360, so I've not particularly suffered this trauma.

I think I had PGR3, Condemned, CoD2 and Perfect Dark Zero.

I didn't have Kong at launch, but I played it later and really enjoyed it.
                  It felt immersive and the no-HUD layout was fairly unique.

It's funny how a few people here are slagging off Perfect Dark Zero, but it was easily my most played launch title.

I've said in other threads that various techs had been done before, but like Apple, the 360 refined them all into one seamless experience. I was playing Capture the Flag, with Americans, with no lag on wireless controllers with real-time comms - it was a revelation.

I put hours into that game and have some great gaming memories, so it's a shame others don't share that, but for me, it's been one of the best, not worst, games I've experienced.

Comment

Shadow The Hedgehog even though I finished it

Sonic 2006 - No words

Project Cars - I went digital on this, what a pile of shizzle

Sonic Spinball - I was gutted as a child!

WWE Raw on OG Xbox

Honorable Mentions:

Knack
                    Star Fox Zero
                    She.... 3

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      The only console I've ever had at launch is the Xbox 360, so I've not particularly suffered this trauma.

I think I had PGR3, Condemned, CoD2 and Perfect Dark Zero.
                      I got the same bundle as you. Pretty decent overall and I caned all of them, except PDZ, which I've barely touched to this day so I can't say whether it's crap or not.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                        I got the same bundle as you. Pretty decent overall and I caned all of them, except PDZ, which I've barely touched to this day so I can't say whether it's crap or not.
                        Yeah, some real "next-gen" feelings from those games. I remember playing CoD2 when the tank rolls over the top of the trench you're hiding in, or spotting landmarks in PGR3's photo mode ("That's where I saw The Reduced Shakespeare Company!").

For me, because I was caning those two and PDZ, it was Condemened that sat on the shelf for yeeears.
                        Finally played it and loved it!

Comment

The only consoles I've ever bought at launch were the PSP and 3DS, and in both cases, I generally bought good games. I guess Ridge Racer 3D would be the worst, but that wasn't a wholly bad game.

Comment

I thought all my launch PS2 games were pretty rubbish. I think one of them was Ring of Red but I just looked it up and it was pretty well reviewed. But maybe well reviewed because it was early and didn't have much to compare it to? Not sure but the quality of PS2 games really went up pretty quickly.

Comment

Ring of Red was a superb gam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                But maybe well reviewed because it was early and didn't have much to compare it to?
                                Always a danger. Perfect Dark Zero got great reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X