Film of the Year 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film of the Year 2019

Yes, thrust into the modern era we turn our eye to the films that released this year as we vote for...

Bordersdown's Film of the Year 2019

The closing date for entries is:

02 January 2020

When voting be sure to place your list in preference order.
    Each place is point awarded (1st = 5 points, 2nd, 4 points etc) to determine the ultimate winners for each category.

Category One - Film of the Year 2019

01 -
    02 -
    03 -
    04 -
    05 -

Category Two - Worst Film of 2019

01 -
    02 -
    03 -
    04 -
    05 -

Category Three - Choice TV of 2019

01 -
    02 -
    03 -
    04 -
    05 -

Any notable films you enjoyed that didn't quite make your top 5, thoughts on the choices being made or views of the years releases as a whole? Feel free to share them!

The results of this years voting will be announced shortly after the closing date.

What films have I seen this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      What films have I seen this year?
      You saw John Wick 3, Godzilla: KotM and Endgame.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        You saw John Wick 3, Godzilla: KotM and Endgame.
        Perfect, thanks QC!

I have now narrowed down my three favourite films of the year.

Comment

01 - Avengers: Endgame
          - Amazing conclusion to a great 10 year story.
          02 - John Wick 3: Parabellum
          - Still managing to up the excitement of the series. Great cast.
          03 - Midsommar
          - Bonkers and silly, but stayed with me.
          04 - Godzilla: KotM
          - Godzilla mashing monsters up
          05 - Yesterday
          - Disposable, but a lovely date-night movie

I wanted to see, but didn't: Shazam; OUATIHollywood; Ad Astra and Synchronic.

Not quite making the list, but well worth seeing: Joker; Us; Captain Marvel and Toy Story 4.

01 -
          Rambo: Last Blood
          - Just relentlessly poor

I didn't see anything else I hated, but didn't get chance to see a few with mixed reviews like It2, Terminator 6, Gemini Man, Zombieland 2, Doctor Sleep, In the Long Grass and Glass.

01 -
          Chernobyl
          - Dramatic, tense and reasonable accurate. Amazing.
          02 -
          Hyperdrive
          - Utterly addictive car drift competition. LOVED it. Go watch.
          03 - The Boys - Really good interpretation of the comic, which was a bit puerile at times.
          04 - After Life - Perfect role for Gervais who is a prick, but not a complete one.
          05 - Line of Duty - not as good as previous series, but still unmissable.

Loads of stuff I didn't have time to see like Westworld and Watchmen, and I don't have Sky.

BONUS HYPERDRIVE GIFs!

Comment

01 - Once Upon a Time In Hollywood - QTs best since Jackie Brown
            02 - The Irishman - Masterpiece, even with at times distracting cgi
            03 - Spider-Man Far From Home - Great sequel. Great fun all the way
            04 - Us - Proper unexpected treat
            05 - El Camino - Not perfect, but it's Breaking Bad

I'll have to mull this one over

01 -
            02 -
            03 -
            04 -
            05 -

01 - Watchmen - Better than I could have imagined. Has more great ideas per ep than most full seasons of tv
            02 - Succession - Mega watchable. Loved binging on this
            03 - Stranger Things 3 - Summertime Stranger Things with its perfect retro shopping mall pushed all the right buttons
            04 - The Boys - did the comics proud
            05 - Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee - Jerry's still got it ... Eddie Murphy ep was brill

Comment

You have a similar taste in films to me, so I'm going to check out some of your suggestions, [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION].

Comment

Likewise ... deffo going to check out Chernobyl.

Comment

Erm...Endgame.

Comment

01 - Once Upon a Time In Hollywood - Loved it and watched it about 3 times now, the way is dives into fiction and non fiction is quite the treat, rad Pitt is superb
                    02 - Le Mans 66 - Ford vs Ferrari - just an amazing movie and loved the main character even though he was completely unlovable, not a petrol head whatsoever but this was just spectacular
                    03 - Avengers Endgame - just superb, absolute quality and lost count of the amount of times I’ve watched it
                    04 - Godzilla King of the Monsters - absolutely loved this movie and I am a Godzilla fan it has been the movie I’ve always waited for since watching Toho movies on the TV when I was a child
                    05 - JoJo Rabbit - saw it earlier at a Cineworld unlimited screening and loved it, Jojo is charming and funny, Hitler is absolutely brilliant and its funny and sad in equal measures, Sam Rockwell is just brilliant

There has been loads of other great movies this year like Bright-burn, Alita, how to train your dragon the hidden world, captain marvel, Shazam, a dogs journey, dark Phoenix, men in black international, toy story 4, Annabelle comes home, Spider-Man far from home, fast and furious Hobbs and Shaw (my favorite in the series), scary stories to tell in the dark, angel has fallen, hustlers, Gemini man, zombie land double tap, terminator dark fate, John Wick 3 and rise of skywalker

I am hoping JoJo rabbit makes it into the top 5 when I see that on the 16th

01 - Joker - didn’t get it at all, didn’t enjoy it until really the last act and can’t compel myself to try again as when I do I get bored and turn it off, I know people love it but definitely not for me, didn’t know it was a DCU movie until Gotham was mentioned about an hour in amongst all the dancing
                    02 - Rambo Last Blood - seemed pointless and most of it was in Mexican
                    03 - Dora the explorer and the lost city of gold - kids wanted to see it, spjust a travesty, less dancing than joker though
                    04 - Queen and slim - saw this last week at an unlimited screening, walked out after an hour, a black Bonnie and Clyde it is not
                    05 - what men want - I quite enjoyed Mel Gibson’s movie all those years ago, this was dreadful

Other pish include pet sematary, hell boy, childs play, the secret life of pets 2, 21 bridges, knives out,

01 - Watchmen - aye it’s quite superb, even the music is absolutely amazing, didn’t know it was coming and never expected anything from it but delivers
                    02 - See - was trailered at the cinema and never knew anything about it, first episode was okay but then it shifts into an amazing tv show
                    03 - Chernobyl - really enjoyed this mini series and opens you eyes into much more than you can read on the internet
                    04 - Impulse - loved the first season which is really a tv version of the movie jumper, love how the young girl tries to deal with what’s happening to her
                    05 - the Witcher - ore pretty decent stuff from Netflix

Others that were decent was new stuff like tread stone and all my usual favorites like the blacklist, madam secretary, Greys anatomy and jack ryan

Still more movies to watch so will update when I see jumanji, Star Wars etc
                    Last edited by buster_broon; 27-12-2019, 01:26.

Comment

I want to see Le Mans 66 too.
                      Didn't feel like a cinema-worthy film though, one for streaming.

I saw Frozen II with the family the other week and thoroughly enjoyed it.
                      The fact I had forgotten I'd seen it says something, though.

Comment

Very much In Progress

01 - Shazam!
                        I very much doubt this will top anyone else's list and it is a very simple small scale film but I enjoyed how well this adapted a relatively unfamiliar character so well, a bit like how Captain America pulled off the same for a concept that could have so easily gone wrong. There are areas of improvement but the core Levy and the two kids pull this off really well.

02 - Toy Story 4
                        Not quite up there with TS1 and TS3 but it's a lovely epilogue done in a way that feels naturally and makes sense. Another that could have easily gone wrong.

03 - Avengers: Endgame
                        Partly this is because of the spectacle and fan service. The film gets held back to third because a bit like Infinity War, it's only as strong as the previous films that support it. On its own merits it wouldn't be very good and the time travel aspect weakens it as well but purely as a season finale type event it works brilliantly.

04 - John Wick Chapter Three: Parabellum
                        I preferred this to the second film, great fun and its biggest weakness would be the unavoidable lack of freshness that comes from it being the third time out but that the quality is this strong after a trilogy is highly commendable.

05 - Terminator: Dark Fate
                        It may be the biggest flop in the franchise and it may be pretty by the numbers but its a solid little film and a fun little taster of what might have been,

01 - The Secret Life of Pets 2
                        It won't offend anyone as a film but it's so utterly devoid of plot and purpose.

02 - Men in Black: International
                        Corporate mandate the movie, a soulless husk of a sequel.

03 - Rambo: Last Blood
                        Predictable set up but poor execution. Marrying First Blood and Rambo 4 for a finale should have been a slam dunk but instead this went in a different direction and missed the mark.

04 - X Men: Dark Phoenix
                        If Disney wasn't already killing the XCU this surely would have. Awful, awful limp and heavily flawed entry.

05 - The Lion King
                        Well done on a technical level, like highly scoring a GFX tech demo. Otherwise another soulless, husk of a film. Unforgivable when even the direct to DVD sequel from the 90's did a better job.

01 - Dark
                        This should have fallen apart in the second of its three seasons with the central mystery revealed. Instead it treated that reveal like the Big Bang and expanded out in every direction, a brilliant middle that sets up a finale that shouldn't work but the viewer is left having learnt to have faith that it will.

02 - Chernobyl
                        Effective is the best work, it shouldn't work so well given the events are well known but it's so good at filling you with dread with every dark moment and fate that happens.

03 - Final Space
                        Really stupid in so many ways but this is like an animated sci-fi action movie at times too, a line of maturity anchoring the shows arc and it has an unexpected really appealing amount of heart to it as well.

04 - Marianne
                        The French horror series. There are some ups and downs but the lead is very likeable and the pacing is pretty much on point throughout despite using so many horror tropes. Incredible that Netflix has managed to make horror work in TV format two years running.

05 - Russian Doll
                        Wasn't sure at first but this little puzzle box of a show starts off odd, then oddball before the gravity of the situation sets in. That there aims to be two more seasons suggests the answers aren't all known too.

Special nods go to Star Trek: Discovery, really loving the new show still. Also to The Boys which I know will do well but as much as I enjoyed it there was a little too much of a sense of predictability about it to make as much impact as the top 5.

I actually forgot that Captain Marvel came out this year, feels a lifetime ago.
                        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 06-12-2019, 10:56.

Comment

Not a great year imo, some good films but no great ones. not seen these yet so: Ad Astra, The Joker, Ford V Ferrari.

01 - The Joker
                          02 - The Irishman
                          03 - Once upon a time in Hollywood.
                          04 - Avengers Endgame
                          05 - Solo a Star Wars story

01 - Spider-man Far From home
                          02 - John Wick 3
                          03 - MIB International
                          04 -
                          05 -

01 - Stranger Things S3
                          02 - AHS- 1984
                          03 -
                          04 -
                          05 -

Bad TV
                          The Mandalorian
                          Last edited by beecee; 24-12-2019, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            I want to see Le Mans 66 too.
                            Didn't feel like a cinema-worthy film though, one for streaming.
                            I saw it in 4DX and it was spectacular

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Erm...Endgame.
                              Okay, had a look through the year's releases:

Best film:

1. Avengers Endgame
                              2. Spider-Man Far From Home
                              3. Frozen 2
                              4. Rocketman
                              5. Toy Story 4

Worst film:

1. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
                              Last edited by teddymeow; 27-12-2019, 14:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X