The Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Batman

Jonah Hill and Jeffrey Wright have been attached to play The Riddler and Commissioner Gordon respectively in Matt Reeves’ “The Batman”. Wright is in talks and Hill is set reports THR, Variety and Collider. Reeves’ story is said to be character-driven noir piece focusing heavily on Batman (Robert Pattinson) as the world’s greatest detective. As […]

More casting is unrolling which does finally definitively show that this planned trilogy is DC's second non-DCU project which will be interesting to see how they continue to market them given the DCU continues alongside it. Adding to Robert Pattinson is Jonah Hill as The Riddler along side Westworld's Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon.

The new film is heavily said to be focused on being a detective story rather than action film.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    this planned trilogy is DC's second non-DCU project

which will be interesting to see how they continue to market them given the DCU continues alongside it

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], you gotta take a looksee at this.
      There's a different DCU, alongide the existing DCU, but both of these DCUs don't exist in the same DCU as Joker's DCU.

Comment

They talked about called these films Elsewhere projects officially at one point which would probably have helped make the branding clearer but it looks like they dropped that which will help keep things messy.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], you gotta take a looksee at this.
          There's a different DCU, alongide the existing DCU, but both of these DCUs don't exist in the same DCU as Joker's DCU.
          No.

Just no, QC!

There is only one CU in existence right now and that's Marvel's. DC hasn't earned it yet and these essentially prove they don't have one. A film plus sequels is not a CU. A film plus spin-offs isn't even a CU. It's a film plus spin-offs. I now reject all claims of a CU until a series can prove it delivers more than a film plus sequels and/or plus spin-offs.

Comment

I think that hurt my head more than the CU's themselves

It's a side-note to this thread but it's increasingly looking like, unless Warners dove tail the DCU back around to another JL attempt down the line (which has to be the ultimate ambition given they haven't knocked it on the head), of all attempts at a cinematic universe only two will stand as commercially successful - Marvel and Conjuring

Comment

Conjuring
              Film plus sequels and spin-offs.

Comment

There's no other way though is there when it's all original content that has to interconnect?

Comment

Hmmm... maybe The Conjuring gets a pass. I didn't know there was yet another one coming out. Okay then, just the MCU and the Conjuring whatever it is. No others!

Comment

It's certainly been interesting to see the sharp uptick in DC's films since they stopped paying so much attention to Marvel, hopefully this follows that trend too.

Comment

Well, the thing about Marvel's strategy is that each good film boosts the others and that's how it builds to a great whole. But as we all speculated early on (and yet they have somehow avoided) the opposite is true if stinkers get through. A bad film will drag all the others down. DC just aren't that consistent and that's not a problem in itself because you can have great films and bad films but at least they can try stuff out. But it's no place for any kind of CU. I actually prefer this approach of having separate films or separate units of films.

Somewhat related: the moment I turned off Suicide Squad was when Batman turned up. That was a criminally awful scene. Okay so it seemed like it was going to be pretty terrible anyway but at least it was terrible on its own merits up to that point.

Comment

They talked about called these films Elsewhere projects officially at one point which would probably have helped make the branding clearer but it looks like they dropped that which will help keep things messy.
                        I believe they're now going with:
                        DC Universe New Timeline.

Comment

DC essentially doing its own thing and only emulating Marvel when its appropriate (Wonder Woman, Aquaman) does work. Why the execs didn't think that a team film after we had the standalone films wouldn't work is beyond me (I mean it wouldn't have taken that long to get them out, then announce Justice League would it?)

DC does its own thing well with films that are a little more mature (mostly) than Marvel's fair. They should stick to that as there will continue to be an audience that wants to see those films and allow them to make good bank at the box office.

Comment

More details are coming forward about last night’s news that both Jonah Hill and Jeffrey Wright are in talks to join Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” feature at Warner Bros. Pictures. We know that Wright is playing Commissioner Gordon and Hill is playing a villain and while Hill has been rumored to be up for The […]

Apparently the casting of Jonah Hill is still on hold because he wants upwards of $10m to appear and say over which character he takes, the price tag being twice that of Pattinson to play Batman. This one's easy - Pass on him, no-one's anticipating the film on the basis of Hill's involvement. If you plan sequels as well why have such a pricy millstone around your neck?

Comment

Does that imply that they don’t even know what character they have in mind for him?

Comment

Working...
                              X