Metro: Exodus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metro: Exodus

Yes, finally I get around to something that has stuck out in my backlog like a sore thumb. I do have a big soft spot for the first two games but I think hearing about the more open nature of Exodus made it easier to put it off in favour of more direct experiences. I'm very early on into the game and am just getting into the thrust of the main adventure where Artyom has been annoying citizens of the Metro by using up resources trying to locate a surface settlement, him and his wife are captured and meet two people from the settlement briefly before Artyom is shot and left for dead and his wife is taken. I'm now in the process of navigating the Moscow sewers to find a way to rescue her.

I'm playing PC and customisation options for settings seem to be fairly limited so to save faffing around I quickly opted to have the game set to Extreme setting, though I'm not sure it adds much over Ultra, at 1440p. There's some jank about the animation and movement of your character as is the norm for the series but it's otherwise stunning stuff, a real mark of how confident 4A have become in making this series. So far it's a very similar experience to the past games too which has been reassuring, things may open up later but completion time estimates on howlongtobeat suggest there's little padding at work here which is good. Hopefully the game maintains the standard as it settles in.
    1 - Exodus from the Franchise
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - I'm Going Deeper Underground
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - Colluding with this Russian
    0%

I'd never played any of these and pinny hounded me to download it, on xbox game pass. Really enjoyed it! Great setting, I was pleasantly surprised

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      I'd never played any of these and pinny hounded me to download it, on xbox game pass. Really enjoyed it! Great setting, I was pleasantly surprised
      Its a great game with a brilliant atmosphere. GamePass is just awesome to try games one not have paid full price for

Comment

I'm in the first open environment now and it's not so much open world as more like a hub which means it's not that grating but it taps into one thing I've never really understood about Metro - the slight fascination with the surface. It was always the game's weakest section and whilst I've not played anything that's bad so far I'm hankering for the game to get itself into the tunnels. I'm fine to ride it out as after two games a change is to be expected but the surface remains the least interesting place to be in the series and isn't where I want its future to lie. Pretty as the game is, hopefully they find a way to fit in the traditional experience at some point in the SP campaign.

Comment

Just entering the Spring section of the game and whilst they're technically fine I've played enough to know I don't like the series taking an open approach. Things like stealth etc were never the best and I don't really want to wander to get ammo etc. I ended up sacking off a lot of it and headed straight for the main mission and the game improved as a result so I'm sticking with that approach going forward.

Comment

I played the Metro Redux games (2033 & Last Light) earlier this year on PS4 and absolutely loved them. Reminded me of Half-life crossed with Stalker. Superb narrative experience, although I hated the way the endings worked.

But with Metro: Exodus I just couldn't get into it. Admittedly I'm near the beginning so maybe it gets better but it didn't grab me like the first two. It has been a few months so I need to give it more of a chance.

Comment

Gave this a few more hours (at 4+ hours overall) on Xbox One X via Game Pass and I just cannot get into it. I've realised the game simply bores me and I find it no fun at all.

There are three main issues which I think are all badly implemented:
              • The move to the 'hub' structure in the game doesn't add anything.
              • The gunplay feels really sluggish (even adjusting settings and schemes). This might be better on PC with 60fps, but on console the gunplay doesn't feel brilliant. I'm also positive I've fired at the heads of enemies who have then gone into a animation loop thereby avoiding the hit; hard to explain but a cross between the matrix and lag. Just adds to the sluggish feeling.
              • The story moments pause the game. There is none of the organic moments from the first two games where NPCs talk through back story or lore as you are walking along or exploring (very Half-Life-esque). This game stops you here.

Real shame because I really enjoyed the first two games. But with a huge backlog it's hard to force myself to play something I'm not enjoying even if I feel I should.

Comment

Been playing this over the weekend as its got a free PS5 upgrade, 60fps and Ray Tracing and it looks lovely, I've done the first two sections fully, and i think its a real step up for the series, As far as i can see. it still has plenty of claustrophobic bits pushing you into old bunkers, tunnels and an absolutely fantastic bit where your being stalked

through an old flooded train yard warehouse by a giant mutant fish

but The juxtaposition of these sections with big open hub areas helps expand the word too, its not constant tunnel, tunnel, tunnel.

If anything I've been enjoying it a lot more as its not as oppressive as the last two games which i did enjoy but they felt very one note. Even in the open its still a hostile environment and a cool world to be in. Bandits, Religious cults, mutated creatures on land and in the rivers, electrical anomaly's as well as mutated humans fill out the first open world area and its all jammed full of areas to scavenge and puzzles and obstacles to overcome. That feeling of dread that the first game gives you is still here but in different ways.

It Has a real Half Life 2/Stalker vibe to the world too this post apocalyptic setting with weird creatures and mystery's to solve is hitting all the right notes for me so far. The hub type of situation where your essentially stopping in different locals and upgrading your train is great as it lets you Tackle the game in chunks and doesn't give you that feeling of being overwhelmed like a lot of big open world games give you. You can do as little or as much as you want in each area which is perfect for me.

I don't get the hate its a top tier experience so far, maybe the improved framerate and visuals may make it worth a second look if you shelved this before.

Also if you ever wondered what it was like to drive a train while getting attacked by monsters, bandits ect and having to dodge weird anomaly's as well as jumping offyour train to change switch point this game has your post apocalyptic Densha de Go fantasy's covered.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 28-06-2021, 15:31.

Comment

Working...
                X