• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 106: Sin and Punishment

The History in Games:
    2000 - Sin and Punishment
    2009 - Sin and Punishment: Star Successor

Overview:
    This rail shooter became a highly regarded jewel in the import scene crown for the Nintendo 64 when it original saw release thanks to how well thought of it was but how limited its release ended up being. Named by Nintendo to stand out in the market place, this collaboration with Treasure aimed to utilise the left hand side of the N64 controller that was typically ignored by most games. So popular, when Nintendo started to dabble with digital releases on Wii the demand finally saw the game released outside Japan. Another consequence of this vocal support was the development of a belated sequel for the Wii. Adding in the ability to use a sword as well as gin fire, the second game was also well received in reviews but failed to make much of a mark amongst the systems casual skewed audience making it the second but also last outing the series would receive.

Share your thoughts and memories of Sin and Punishment (the games!!)
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 30-09-2019, 12:42.

Everything about these games are perfect.
    The controls on the Wii version are ace too.

Bosses in the first one are a bit cliche (in terms of how you defeat them), but look great.
    The length of the Wii version is crazy long for this type of game. Massive value for money.

Comment

If you were to pick a Nintendo 64 game to showcase what the system can do, this would be right up there. And in typical Treasure fashion it's one of the few games that's been designed to be played using the left position control pad style. I love it, and despite it being short, it's got great replay-ability too with the score attack mode and difficulty levels.

I've actually just picked up the Wii sequel this month, having never played it. I'm guessing I should get on to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post

I've actually just picked up the Wii sequel this month, having never played it. I'm guessing I should get on to it...
        This should be your goal for this evening.

Comment

Only played sequel but it’s awesome

Comment

Both games are fantastic. I bought a N64 just to play the original game years ago. I was very pleased when the Wii version arrived then the follow up. I don’t understand why this game series isn’t more popular. Such great games making excellent use of the host hardware.

Comment

The N64 version is up there with Star Fox 64 as a great piece of shooting action that shows off the hardware. Such a classic game.

The Wii sequel is also really good. Treasure put a lot of effort in to make sure it shows off the hardware. Plus it's really fun to play.

Comment

I'm happy to say I can play both. The N64 one as WiiWare, the second a free gift from a fellow forumite nearly eight years back, around the time GAME were basically selling everything they had for pennies, the infamous 2012 'firesale'.

I owe that forumite a game or a bottle of spirit!

(remind me who you were)

I find the stage 1 music of N64 S&P to be incredibly moody, driving and atmospheric. It also looks amazingly clean and iconic for an N64 game. Did they sharpen up the WiiWare version or does the base N64 version actually look as good as *this*??!!

Comment

I've still not played S&P despite owning both games before, it always slipped down my backlog list, really should remedy that

Comment

I played the N64 one a fair bit but found the sequel a bit too faffy/complicated on the control front.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      It also looks amazingly clean and iconic for an N64 game. Did they sharpen up the WiiWare version or does the base N64 version actually look as good as *this*??!!
                      It doesn't have a the foggy, vaseline look that lots of N64 games suffer from. Looks more like something on the PS1. So there's a nice amount of vibrancy and clarity.

The Wii port probably has an even clearer image like other N64 games on the system. Just look at how clean Wave Race looks on the Wii.

Comment

Loved the N64 version, rinsed it back then!
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                        X