Canon-Strike VII: DC Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    Did the film do enough redemption of the original version? Do you prefer the theatrical cut? Should this one be considered canon over the original?
    Honestly, it's a really interesting curio, and a fascinating look at how you can do two entirely different takes on the same thing.

I'm not sure it's better. I mean, it is in may ways, but it's over-long and doesn't pace itself well, along with how it ends/the last 20% of the film after the main conflict is resolved, that clearly was never meant to be part of it, but rather just gives a glimpse of "what could have been".

Ultimately though I think it was fighting a losing battle because it was too much, too soon, without enough ground-work. I also don't think it would ever have convinced me, because I still feel the DCU's tone feels all wrong.

But DC gave us their animated universe, from the likes of Batman TAS through to later stuff like Justice League Unlimited. I think they could make a success of it if they wipe the slate clean and go full on, full-throttle, technicolor, optimistic, bright, hopeful... DC's heroes are meant to be like modern myths; a 20th century equivalent of Hercules or Jason.

Comment

It's a flawed film and it reminded me that the choice to put it out in IMAX format was 100% a mistake (and also that cinemas should ditch IMAX). The trouble with the film mostly comes from its over long run time, it's excessive, which is a shame as with the right trimming it's without doubt the superior version. If it weren't for the sequel baiting it'd be a much better film to have as canon as well and I'd have no trouble it taking the theatrical versions place in that regard but those issues ruled itself out. Despite the niggles I'd still watch it over the theatrical version in future though.

Comment

Another year on and it's time to look back on the DCU's expansion during the last 12 months in relation to the growing cinematic canon being created. This year, despite both released films being part of existing sub-franchises, there has been a clear pivot to more standalone fare.

Movie 10 - The Suicide Squad
        Made as a result of Disney's rash and temporary axing of James Gunn, this film very loosely acts as a sequel to the previous Suicide Squad though prior viewing isn't required. With Whaller intending to tackle a secret project that lies outside of international jurisdiction, she sends in more captured villains to reluctantly save the day as they find their ties strained by the mission.

With the prior year not being a well received one, did this second pass at Suicide Squad deserve its strained box office?

Comment

For me this film was great, it plays even better on rewatch and I'm glad it exists. However... it shouldn't. It feels almost obvious that from a business perspective this wasn't the kind of project the DCU needed, it cuts far too much market out and as a follow up (whether they class it as one or not) it had other factors against it before you even look at the pandemic. So whilst it's a great film with a lot to be learnt from for the DCU moving forward, it still kind of exists in that same area most of the other films do where they should be set aside and the canon largely restarted

Comment

I'm not sure this Dreamcast Cinematic Universe has really gone the direction I expected.

I would've thought they'd have got as far as a Blue Stinger movie by now

Comment

Movie 11 - Black Adam
              A spin-off from Shazam focuses on the anti-hero character who proceeded Billy by a few thousand years. A tonal reset for the DCU, the focus here is very much on action with the JSA trying to reign Black Adam in as he destroys those in his path.

Adam-ant that this is a step forward for the DCU or is it a Black day for the series?

Comment

I know Black Adam hasn't been a hit and it's nothing that will be remembered long term but I feel like it was at least a tonal step in the right direction. With a tighter script it would be a safer bet than most DCU films though hopefully that's where Shazam 2 will land

Comment

We're up to date now with this Canon-Strike but we'll throw in a bonus round because it's one worth mentioning:

Bonus 01 - Peacemaker: Season 01
                  Nerves must have been raw over this after The Suicide Squad struggled at the box office but the series proved to be one of the biggest shows of the year. Following on from the end of the film, the series follows Peacemaker as he returns to the field racked with self-doubt having been responsible for the death of a man he respects. Worried that he might be the villain and also struggling with how heavily disliked he is by his peers, he is set to deal with an alien threat.

Did the series land with you and did it suggest a way forward for the DCU?

Comment

Whilst I'd still say that Peacemaker is not at all what the DCU should be like it is a brilliant expansion of the film, continuing how DC is strangely solid in their TV work whilst the films fluctuate much more severely. Well worth watching once you've watched the film

Comment

Movie 12 - Shazam: Fury of the Gods
                      Despite how much they struggled at the box office this year and the confirmation that 2023 would see the end of this universe, it's also had a fairly steady run of additions to lead us to its final moments. The sequel to Shazam was the first out of the gate and was always one of the riskier titles thanks to the modest earnings the original earned for itself. The sequel follows up a few years later with the kids getting caught up in their superhero persona's and Billy beginning to feel undeserving of the power he holds just as a new threat emerges.

Did the fim genuinely fail to live up to the first?

Comment

Movie 13 - Batman
                        As is common these days, the DCU took the opportunity to pull in past hits in its next release and in doing so retroactively added two films to its own continuity. In this first case, the original Batman movie from 1989 became canon with Michael Keaton's Batman facing off against the Joker in Gotham.

Was attempting to bring back Keaton a good move?

Comment

Movie 14 - Batman Returns
                          The sequel was always considered the weaker of the two films thanks to its darker style and surprisingly minimalised amount of Batman. However, later years have seen some circles give Keaton's second outing a renewed level of appreciation for the tale that introduced Catwoman, Penguin and Christopher Walken eating up the dialogue.

Glad for the Return?

Comment

Working...
                          X