Canon-Strike VII: DC Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I actually came in to say that I think Momoa was a big part of the draw.
    Yeah with the mothers who took their kids to see it...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Yeah with the mothers who took their kids to see it...

Well, yeah Ditto for the Thor movies with Hemsworth.

Comment

And that's the end of the saga for now, it's next set to continue next year with the releases of Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 1984. So, for the final question:

What do you see to be strengths of the DCU and with it continuing on in a less crossover focused manner, do you see a way for Warners to later pull future strands together as well as Marvel have done?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Well, yeah Ditto for the Thor movies with Hemsworth.
          Me: "I'm off out to watch the new Marvel film."
          Wife: "Meh, have a nice time. Which one?"
          Me: "Thor 3"
          Wife: "Oh, erm, can I not come too?"

Comment

I guess timing is a big thing because Mamoa did nothing to help Conan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I guess timing is a big thing because Mamoa did nothing to help Conan.
              Yeah, he was something of a nobody back then. I think it just pre-dated Game of Thrones?

I suspected Momoa would go on to big things ever since seeing him in Stargate Atlantis, but he wasn't really well-known.

Comment

A year and a half on and we return to look at the projects that have released in the passing time:

Movie 08 - Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn
                Releasing just before the pandemic truly hit, this smaller scale film was a female led entry with Harley taking point in a post-Suicide Squad break up movie as she discovers that without the Joker she becomes a free target for everyone she has crossed. Stylistically the film is a continuation of the grim-dark styling the DCU has been regularly deploying in a wrongful attempt to differentiate itself from Marvel's efforts. Telling a much lower-key and stylised story than most superhero related movies, this entry introduces multiple characters and still in the pattern of them not being in the recognisable form many would know them from the comics.

Given Harley has felt like she's come out of nowhere on film to almost lead the DCU effort, did Birds of Prey suggest a unique direction for DC to head into or symbolise all that has been going wrong?

Comment

I wasn't a huge fan of this, although I'm not well placed to comment on how it sits in the DCU given I haven't seen most of them. There were fun moments but I didn't take to this incarnation of Harley and that's obviously a major part of the movie. I didn't find her anywhere near as entertaining as the movie thought I should. I actually did like the other characters and would probably have enjoyed them without Harley. It's a small movie, doesn't reach very high and that's okay - I appreciated that for what it was but it just didn't grab me enough.

Comment

Birds of Prey felt like something that was on the surface interesting but ultimately left little impact. I'm not a fan of the DC films continued efforts to seemingly dial their characters down in terms of the levels of fantasy involved. Like how Killer Croc in Suicide Squad was a scaley guy rather than a huge Croc-man etc and this seemed to want to dial things back to a grounded level to make Harley fit in, they also can't resist finite uses of characters as well. Like we get Black Mask for the first time and other than some tongue in cheek uses he's killed off so wasted. In terms of style Birds of Prey was an interesting experiment but that's kind of the tale of the DCU, experimenting but never hitting a working mark when really the issue is that they just need to be more comic accurate and stop shying away from something that embraces the excesses and styles because Marvel's already knocking around that tone. I think in terms of DCU the film feels like the culmination of that darker, grounded style and the final proof (if needed) that it's the wrong way to go.

I'm very curious about how DC approaches the future of its tone and execution largely because of the Flash movie. The changing of timelines to reset the board helps but the one thing that hasn't been discussed anywhere is that the return of Keaton as Batman doesn't just stop at his reappearance, it also means that his Gotham becomes canon and we're talking about going from Chicago to this:

and I adore that idea, potentially embracing something much more stylised and stronger in identity.

Comment

Movie 09 - Wonder Woman 1984
                      The most recent of the new entries to the canon, this second prequel see's Diana living a lonely life where she only sporadically steps up as Wonder Woman to deal with threats. That kind of changes, depending on how much you adhere to the prior films canon, when a mcguffin brings Steve back from the dead and gives the power of wish fulfilment to the wrong man.

As one of the last Timeline A DCU movies to come out and a prequel/sequel, did the film fit in well?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

and I adore that idea, potentially embracing something much more stylised and stronger in identity.
                        Honestly, can we just have that?

**** all the rest of this DC stuff. Just give us a Batman movie series with the sensibilities of the 90s cartoon, with that appearance, but reinterpreted in a slightly more modern style.

Stop trying to make the heroes work in our world. Nolan did it but it was played out once The Dark Knight had done the rounds. Change the world to make the heroes make sense.

Comment

With WW84, it's definitely a film with some issues and canon wise Jenkins was clear she was ignoring everything outside of the original film. That being said, nothing directly contradicts the rest of the DCU and this one doesn't really do anything that causes any major issues either so it's not important in that sense.

Whilst having issues, the film is still another one of those releases which is regularly moaned about well and beyond the actual quality of the film and to this day, like MoS, so often the arguments being used are made up bs.

Comment

I haven't seen it yet but I will at some point. Reports weren't great and the CG Thundercat in the trailers looked pretty bad. But I enjoyed the first so I'm absolutely willing to give this a shot.

Comment

Fortunately the cheetah bit is very small out of the whole film. It's one of those where it's in no way troubling the better comic book movies out there but seems to attract vitriol at times when there's much worse in the genre

Comment

Movie 05B - Justice League: The Snyder Cut
                                Here we have the interesting scenario of a version of a film that isn't canon to the rest of the series but actually should have been had events worked out differently - and was released for viewers to see the differences. The stories of Flash and Cyborg are greatly expanded, scenes re-edited, villains added and entire narrative arcs re-woven into the plot of the film. Though better received Warner Bros has chosen not to count the film as canon most likely because this was written to lead into a second film that will never be made.

Did the film do enough redemption of the original version? Do you prefer the theatrical cut? Should this one be considered canon over the original?

Comment

Working...
                                X