Apex Legends (Xbox, PSN & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apex Legends (Xbox, PSN & PC)

A battle royal game with its niche being Hero abilities and fast movement options which help it stand out from Realistic pixel hunts of Pubg to Fortnites Building spam and environmental destruction.

Season 3 is now on us, the single biggest change is the removal of Kings Canyon for an entirely new map based around 4 different biomes(lava,ice,urban and spring water/grass) and large train traveling between the areas. Its very open, with alot of vertical places to climb or swing to and alot houses or flats/office building to run into into that usually act a centre point for each named areas.

Played 6 won 3 from what i played tonight, as it really suits my mid range sniping and then getting mucky with a LMG or SMG close up.

New guy Crypto, has really fast moving drone (but extreme weak, 1 bullet from assault rifle will take it down) you can fly around at the expense of losing control of your guy. The drone can mark and track opponents through walls so long as it can see them (so you can leave it deployed and as long as someone runs into its vision cone you and party can see them), destroys deployable equipment (DOC,gas,wattson stuff) and as an ultimate explodes causing shield damage through walls. So far i've found it's not useful early on, you can't afford to have 1 man out of the battle. But later on in the smaller circles it seems to shine finding campers and easily tagging the whole play area so you can see through walls effectively.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    100.00%
    0%
    Last edited by Tobal; 14-02-2024, 00:49.

put a few hours into now, and the new map has some problems. The increased size and large empty spaces between main hubs can lead to little action and with the increased loot pool is so very easy to end up with no weapons or shields which means you either have a long run to next hub or you hope your teammates faired better and leech off their kills. Also a few of the huge hubs (big city ones and the Ice site) are pretty bad on the frame-rat. The hubs all sit in a crater so any 3rd party wandering in following the gunshots and have the entire area in view, often with a rifle, making getting tagged by 3,4 or 5 parties common occurrence.

New charge rifle is an instant win button, the charging beam does damage, then additional pop from the round goes off doing up to 70-80 damage easily with no bullet drop, the only thing balancing the rifles, so im expecting some quick nerfs.

Other than those problems i'm still enjoying it, the slowed paced due to 3rd party snipers making the good players that like bum-rushing with wraith, pathfinder and octane think twice before trying to solo a 3 man team, gives bad and average players breathing space.

and to finish of a little 5mins highlight of walling off 3 other teams and whittling them down.

Comment

Season 4 hit tuesday, and with a raft of changes, a new character and battlepass. New guy is a robot assassin looking alot like the assassins in Fate/series, gets to crouch walk as fast as normal movement which supports players that like to bob, a pretty useless throwing knife and his ultimate is a reraise spawn point, very similar to battlefield's radio spawn.

Map has had the middle city half destroyed by lava and the frame-rate seems worse than ever moving into that area, i'm actively avoiding it, it's that bad. And they plonked a massive tower in the middle where gas plant was, no frame-rate problems there at all.

they've moved the sniper class of weapons to its own ammo slot to stop sniper/campers sitting on 200 rounds, so at most they'll have 20 rounds (10 rounds per inventory slot), seems to have hit triple take hard as it was a noob friendly but lowpowered at range you'll at best tag 25-35 damage on one round (most players would be on 150hp) so it was mostly used to annoy and make the enemy waste shields but having nearly no ammo you can't waste slots annoying enemy if you run out in a single fight.

They did put in a new sniper, a bolt action slightly more powerful on body hits than a longbow(former heavy ammo sniper) but with a huge down time on the reload and forced ADS drop, it can't kill at all. Its unique action is to burn a shield battery for a couple of shield killing bullets but as before the reload is killer and even the worst player would have ran behind cover before you can line up a second and why would anyone want to waste precious shields.

they've also put the horrible L-star in normal loot replacing the deviation LMG, lowered its damage and did nothing about the muzzle flash and kick so it's the new mozi, to be avoided.

New battlepass is so,so, more emotes, 2 new good looking legendary skins, and more chances at loot ticks.

Comment

Time for the Tobal Blog update.

Gameplay update came in tuesday along with a new limit timed event. the LTD as respawn refer to it this time is called Déjà vu, and is permanently placed items, ship drop and ending circle, with only the ship and circle changing once a week while it's on. They also slapped in a new armour update just for the mode where you can pick up an evolution body armour starting with 1 shield block and is upgrade it a max of 5 blocks by damage done which isn't that hard to do with easy snipers like charge and triple take.

As for the same ending circle... results in alot of defensive characters camping the high ground, but so far i've managed to against them by having leveled my evo body to 5 compared to a 3 or 4 shielded camper. I've probably just stick to regular apex but i want the free peacekeeper and wingman model skins from playing the mode.

Aside from the LTD, they changed the starting inventory to 10 slots (12,14,16 for upgrades now) and limited small healing items down to 4(from 6), large to 2 (from 3) and grenades from 2 to 1. Which are big changes for campers and rushers, campers can't keep prolonged eye for an eye sniping now, and thankfully a co-ordinated 6-10 grenade spam from a 3rd party is a rarity as do you risk your limited ammo/healing stock against an all out grenade barrage on an unsuspecting team.

Other big change is massively reducing muzzle flash on everything but shotguns and snipers (which aren't problem due to the fire rate/hip fire and long scopes), which has definitely improved my aim now i can see small targets and my k/dr improved alot last night. Also really like the range increase to bloodhound scan, which i tend use once a fight is already started or chasing down a run away.

and here's a few video's from last couple of months

Comment

Keep it coming Tobal some great impressions there.

Comment

New gameplay/event changes, probably the last till season 5 battle pass start (guessing in 2 months).

Duo's and King Canyon (with apparently increased loot locations) come in on permanent basis, now you select trio or duo and you forced on to what maps in slot with a countdown till it changes to other map, no idea how long a fresh timer is, was only 35mins left on a map switch when i stopped playing.

Lifeline get a meh buff, you an now open an extra compartment on the supply bins to get 2 extra items (hp/shields or attachments). The main problem is there only seems to 1 sometimes 2 blue bins in each location.

Rev gets a huge buff as he is abilities really sucked. Low profile is removed which makes his crouch walk worth using, his silence bomb now last 20 seconds, an stock 2 of them and has a slightly larger AoE blast, which quite well a keep away on the defense. Also knocks out Gib's gun shield as well which is nice. His Ultimate allows a max of 50hp on revival making it usable at least, it's still crap but less crap. (main problem is revival is based only your HP, so it like attacking the enemy with no shields while it's on you)

allround changes are low profile characters now receive the same damage to legs and arms as they do their body which is a bit of nerf but help bad players deal with wraiths and lifelines jumping and sliding around like coked up bunnies.

We also have map update to World Edge with Bloodhound themed mountain cave, not landed in it yet as it seems a deathmarch with the amount teams landing in it to check it out.

1 bonus video.. 2 for 1 snipe i didn't know the sentinel could do, and 1(me)v3 finale with a gentleman's agreement to a fist thrown down.

Comment

Season 5 comes in with a new character, evolution of Kings Canyon, and balance changes

Loba, dressed like a dishonored reject with a large bum, so . Active ability is a teleport ring much like Unreal Tournament version those many decades ago, you chuck it and choose when inthe throwing arc to port, sadly no telefragging, though it would have been fun if it caused some melee damage. Passive lets you see Purple and Gold items throw walls and her ultimate creates a interactive display for seeing and teleporting any items in range (which isn't large enough i think), i can see some benefits to it but it pretty situational maybe some faster looting in a new area no-ones touched it or safe looting an enemy teams crate you've downed behind wall a distance away. the teleport recharge is 30 secs, distance covered short but high enough to get up most cliffs/buildings but comes with an awful 1-2 second delay playing out a canned animation on spawning which makes with rubbish for attacking players who know your coming. Overall... C- need some buffs on the teleport and the range of the ultimate increased.

Kings Canyon is now the only map for the next 14 days, not sure what will happens once that timer is up but i suspect a return to the map looping every 45mins between it and Worlds Edge. Biggest changes are skull town and the dome are gone which is massie real estate sunk underwater.. in its place is a tiny oilrig with quite a few rope lines connecting it to all sides. To make up for all that lost combat ground they've made huge oilrig and some sort of large experimental testing lab in the northwest of the map next to Array, not been in there yet. Can't say i'm a fan of removing skulltown.

Balances come with a redo of Mirage, you can now control his decoys which makes alot easier to fool people into dumping a mag into it, you send it out, tap down on the d-pad and now it mimics every action you do but climbing, there's seems to be no lifespan on keeping up the decoy or its just a very long time (definitely more than 40 seconds) and it still recharges while decoy it out so you'll have the next ready to use in 10 seconds... i've been absolute undone by enemy mirage's constantly popping decoys that all seem real when they're sliding and jumping around. Ultimate is now spawning 8 of them, not useful as you'll initial at the centre of it and aren't invisible anymore. Passive got buffed by making raising invisible and dropping in from a respawn invisible too, which are both really useful.

Not muh outside of Pathfinder grapple getting nerfed from 15 to 35 second on recharge.... seems really harsh but it does stopping pathfinders zipping into a fight, and then running away.

Peacekeeper got moved gold drop pods and mastiff to normal loot... not sure on that choice, from playing around with it so far they haven't nerfed the damage on it meaning you can murder fools in 2 shots quickly.

Comment

An update on the questing stuff, didn't mention before as it was just 'collect red box' while doing whatever in the game and once a day you'll get a bonus reward, not much to write about. It did have a bunch of silly story with it and as of today if you had done 5 levelup's you'll get access a PVE mission, which can be done single player or co-op (and repeat play at any time).

You get dropped off in night time kings canyon, a load out of pistol/mozi/shields and then you fight dog monsters of various colours (darker the stronger) to get to a point to, defend the thing, and then exit. Felt pretty good to play, gunning down the dogs with shotgun and hopped up P2020. Looks like this will go on all season, 1 new PVE mission unlocked every tuesday (so 10 to 12 weeks of it) but sadly requires playing at least once a day to find the red treasure box's... it's annoying road block for getting players back into game for part time players like my mate who plays twice a week with me (he's at 3 of 5 needed, so we'll try co-op tomorrow if he get todays and tomorrows box), and they monetized it so you can buy 'missed' level ups for real cash .

Comment

new season 7 out, 23gb, new character, new map, couple of balances.

the brief, new character is ok, fast cooldown grav lift and the special is a gravity grenade which which fairly rubbish unless you drop as a surprise (3rd partying some looters) due to the wind up.

new map.. well is has shocking bad frame-rate problems on a pro in all areas, to many open areas with the 1 house which you'll be lucky to find a weapon or ammo in for half a person so it forces everyone to land in the same hubs. Map promotes movement abilities over everything, just so many, many roofs and walkways to climb on so you're only going to find likes of path and oct being used and alot of triple take sniper tagging. new hover car is a crap.

Comment

bit more after a few games under my belt. Battlepass is now an absolute grind crapping on casual play, changed to a 10 Stars = 1 battlepass(on infinite, no cap or star rise) system makes it so weekly challenges and dailies in the last few days before weekly reset is in 'exp' aren't lost to the previous 56k level up cap (had to smartly not do challenges if you're near the or on the 56k cap, as to keep levelling to 56k after the first time is an insane grind). The exchange for this, it now takes 3x's the effort and time to get a single level up on the battlepass, and those challenges with alot of 'stars' on them have long grinds to them like play 75 in game minutes. Can't see me finishing this battlepass this time as i don't have the time i use to play for hours a day.

'small' video of a wraith player pulling a clutch team save (after running off), carrying the team after we get jumped again on respawn... at least i make up for at the end , would be nice if ps4 saved video's at a HQ to.

Comment

Season 8 is here, New character called Fuse, new DMR weapon and Kings Canyon returns with updates.

Fuse is a pretty decent attacker, his best stuff is the double grenade inventory slots and his quick throws/reloads with them. His ability is a bouncing cluster grenade, doesn't do much damage and is more there to annoy enemies, and his special fires a mortar round that creates a circle of fire, but it's low damage(1 shield lost running through it) is rubbish and doesn't continue to burn like incendiary grenades to, i have fired it inside a room and it bounces of the ceiling and focuses the fire in a very small area so it ok at blocking a door at least.

50/50 repeater, a heavy bullet DMR with a gimmick for aiming down the sights charges the shots for 10 extra damage(from 47 to 57), its quite strong but hard to use compared to everything else ranged due to the bullet drop being very strong.

Kings Canyon, best map is back with new changes. Map is extended behind artillery with a crashed spaceship and shanty town is gone replaced with a river leading from the crash site and bunch of hi-tech buildings. A new map gimmick of small locked sheds needed a grenade to open, they have high level mods inside.

Comment

Season update time!

Biggest updates, 3v3 Deathmatch, new character Valkyrie and new weapon Bow.

Valkyrie is of the movement types(i.e. best characters to use), passive is a quick recharging jetpack that lifts you up unless you hold down ADS button to hover at your chosen height, good getting on top of buildings and firing down. Tactical is a pretty useless cluster missile attack, 25 to 50 DMG depending where it hits, can't be used close range, takes ages to travel and comes with a loud noise announcement it's about to happen and marks on the ground so it's really easy to avoid. Special is mobile balloon tower, can carry up teammates as well and allows Valk to auto mark any enemies in her sight while sky diving.

Bow weapon, completely broken, kills is 2-3 body hits, has double mods for shotgun mode(25-50 on the body shot depending on pull back) and faster pull back, arrows are limited to a single stack of 48 but it doesn't matter, you kill quickly and the arrows travel faster than sniper bullets (it feels very hitscan because of it). Any arrows you miss can be collected, and those that hit appear in the body box of the enemy, and did i mention is silent so you haven't sodding clue where they are firing from. It makes all snipers worthless, even in its base form without mods.

Deathmatch... isn't great, 3v3, 3 maps small maps with a closing ring, 3 rounds with a empty inventory outside 2 heals/batteries and some cash to spend buying weapons, weapon upgrades, extra heal/battery and strangely buying tactical and specials as you only get to spend 1 tactical per round unless you spend to buy more. Round 2 gives more cash to spend and upgrades the armour to blue, Round 3 more cash/purple upgrades.

Problems: it's mostly a camp fest, as the best way to win to stick together and tick off the enemy shields as it's so limited and then push(or camp some more). The other is people quitting, had a fair few games have the opponents quit out after losing round 1 and then us the other team have to sit for round 2 and 3 for a minutes and minutes until the game registers the other team lost the round.

Other Stuff:

Dailies and Weeklies are now split between arena and battle royal which is super crap, i really don't like playing Arena but feel forced to, to level up my battle pass. Hopefully the casuals will piss and moan on reddit and twitter to change it like last time.

Pathfinder is obsolete, his passive it shared by all scouts, his grapple is surpassed by octane, Horizon and now Valk and the same for his zip lane special.

Peacekeeper is back in the pool and is too strong, 2x shots to kill.

Lifeline got the shield on raising removed so she's now crapper version of Loba

Kings Canyon is out this season , in comes Worlds Edge... but we're locked on Odyssey for 6 days.

Comment

Season 10: aka no place to hide.

Not sure on the thinking around the new legend Seer, absolutely broken. Spamable passive that acts like a wallhack, 30 second cooldown fireball that goes through multiple walls/floors, wide tracking, when it hits does 10 dmg, disables, stuns heals and revives, and provides a full outline of where you are. And an widearea Ultimate which tracks footprints, HP/shields and tells you how many people in the area... the last circle with 3 teams, had 3 seers, all popped off the ultimate at the same time, such a mess of graphics.

Teams of Seer with Bloodhound spamming his scan... and all powerful LMG buffs, unnerfed Prowler back, just isn't fun, no breathing space feels like BF4's metro map.

Changes to Worlds Edge are pretty bad so far with the removal of 2 popular drops outside the city, which means even more teams just dropping in the city.

Comment

Season 11 hits

the brief

New map: a Topical island, seems larger than everything before with big cliff walls and large open areas for DMR's and snipers. Main gimmick seems to be quake like man launchers.

new character: robot women Ash basically a mix of horizon and wraith in that her tactical is horizon like gravity trap and the special being a wraith teleport but is thrown instead of running.

new gun: titanfalls CAR is makes an entrance and probably needs a nerf. It's basically the heavy ammo version of the R99 SMG with no horizontal drift.

season theme: character skins look like some knock off armour copy of Horizon Zero Bore, actually thought it was some sort of cross over at first.

Comment

on to season 12, new character Mad Maggie, extremely annoying personality while looking like a mad max reject... moveset is basically anti camp, tactical is a missile that drills into walls then burns out the opposite side, ultimate is similar to Octane but uses speed movement pads instead of jump pads which fall out of a metal ball she throws so it can do some damage as well, and the passive allows speed movement with shotguns and brief highlights of enemies you have damaged.

Brought back the Olympus/floating city map, it's suppose to have 3 major changes but i've only come across one so far, at least eyeballing from the dropship it doesn't look like much has changed.

Battlepass is crap as always and the theme seems to be mad max leather, will have to wait till they do a season skins event (last one was sea/tropical themed with pirates, fishy things and Atlantis)

Comment

Working...
                              X