Laptop for University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop for University

I recently started back at University doing a part-time masters module in teaching. I use an iPad Pro for my computing needs but the University’s system isn’t particularly iPad friendly. So I want a cheap Windows laptop that will make life a bit easier.

Budget is £300.00. This is the sort of thing I’m looking at. Mainly going to be used for document management, writing assignments, etc. Any thoughts on what what would give me good bang for my buck?

If you can stretch another £30, this will kick it's ass:

View our range of laptops and notebooks. We stock award winning laptops from brands such as HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Dell, MSI, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Microsoft and Apple, and offer free delivery on all our laptops!

Double the ram, double the storage and far superior CPU and GFX.

Comment

Ooooooooh. Will check down back of sofa for loose change.

Comment

Let’s see... if I remember university, what your computer will need to do is run NetHack and be able to access newsgroups to very, very slowly download pictures of Jennifer Connolly even though you’re on alt.news.startrek. Other than that, I don’t remember computers being used for anything and I have no reason to believe things have changed so that one vanpeebles linked should be more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Let’s see... if I remember university your computer download pictures of Jennifer Connolly
          Makes me wish I had gone to university!

Comment

If you're doing teaching, I would consider looking at a very low-cost, light, small solution. I have an Aspire Switch 10, which is pretty old now and I wouldn't recommend - but this sort of laptop works for me because it's very portable. A great many laptops are only really designed to be carried from home desk > car > work desk, and work desk > car > home desk, so they're heavy, large and not robust. The Switch 10 only has passive cooling and uses solid state storage, so it has no moving parts and it's extremely light.

Comment

If it wasn't for the amazing equation editor built into Word these days, I would have tried to change my whole department to Chromebooks.
              Chromebooks. Generally all you need if you're not editing 4K video.

Comment

I've used Tier 1 in the past they do refurbed kit;

Find cheap laptops, PCs, mobile phones, tablets and accessories, all refurbished to the highest quality with tier 1. Get free tracked delivery and 1 year warranty.

Comment

Working...
                X