Retro Arena: The Castlevania series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    Happy to say I've played thirteen of those games you've listed, including Haunted Castle when it came out in the arcade.

You get a gold star.

I'm in love with the world of Castlevania, the style. It is a brilliant little zone to be in, get lost in.
    I also love everything about the Castlevania world. It's absolutely brilliant what Konami did with the vampire/Dracula mythos and created games full of imagination and stirring music.

The first N64 game was absolute rubbish, I'm afraid to say. I didn't like it at all. Not sure what the second one is like?
    Some people liked the N64 version, but I thought it was pretty poor. I think the sequel is very much the same sort of thing but a bit more refined. I might go back to them and see if I was being too harsh back in the day.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-10-2019, 19:03.

Comment

1- Castlevania IV
      2- SOTN
      3- ......X?

My first foray into the CV series, and my fave one, loved the atmosphere of the game, the graphics were great and the soundtrack blew me away, i had a set of stereo speakers hooked up to my snes and that made a massive difference to the mono portable tv speakers.

as for X for the snes, didnt like it as much, i think the mechanics were just too different from CVIV for me, graphics and sound was top notch as you come to expect from Konami on the snes.

It wasn't until my 3rd or 4th ps1 console that i seen there was a castlevania game was on it,a bit of luck at a sunday market where a trader had a copy sitting when i spied it, wasn't expecting what i got though, it was massive and again the music was just utterly amazing. must have spent the most time on this game than any other game i have ever played, thinking you have finished it only for the castle to flip....

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
        i had a set of stereo speakers hooked up to my snes and that made a massive difference to the mono portable tv speakers.
        Yeah, you want to enjoy the incredible soundtrack through stereo speakers. Easily one of my favourite soundtracks alongside ActRaiser, Contra 3, and F-Zero. Talented musicians obviously loved working with the SNES sound chip.

as for X for the snes, didnt like it as much, i think the mechanics were just too different from CVIV for me, graphics and sound was top notch as you come to expect from Konami on the snes.
        I remember playing 'X' in 1995 and feeling quite underwhelmed. The way the character controls and the mechanics didn't feel as nice as in CV4. It's quite a good game really, but I'll always have a somewhat negative feeling towards it. I would have much rather had a CV5 made exclusively for the SNES that has more in common with CV4.

it was massive and again the music was just utterly amazing. must have spent the most time on this game than any other game i have ever played, thinking you have finished it only for the castle to flip....
        I had a friend who was gaga about Symphony. He used to always talk about how brilliant it was in all areas. I remember liking the graphic style and effects, plus the rousing music, but the gameplay didn't grab me like previous more straightforward Castlevania games had. Although, I can certainly appreciate why it's regarded as a golden classic by lots of people.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-10-2019, 19:02.

Comment

Working...
        X