No announcement yet.

New gaming TV advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, great to hear from you. Hope all is well!

Comment

What's the lifetime of OLED now? A 2000 quid telly ought to outlast the standards it supports, you'd hope.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        What's the lifetime of OLED now? A 2000 quid telly ought to outlast the standards it supports, you'd hope.
        I think they are more likely simply to become obsolete by displays simply superseding them before they die. The pace of improvement is rapid and the current OLEDs are a long way away from displaying the modern HDR content in all it’s glory. Can’t go wrong if it’s for old content though

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
          I am here! But I live in New York now. Reach out to my old boss Vincent Teoh at HDTVtest for calibration fun.
          Yay! Glad you're doing okay, buddy.
          Totally forgot you'd moved to Noo Yoik!

Comment

Samsung Q90R is excellent for gaming, especially if you have a bright room, the Sony AG9 is the best oled in my opinion but needs a dark room to really appreciate, horses for corses. Go and see both.

Comment

I'm dreading the next time I shop for a TV. The last time was a nightmare and left me swearing never to buy an LG TV again... Plus I've got a Panasonic LCD when everyone was talking about Panny plasmas, because I use it as my computer monitor (that's what I'm posting from right now) and while those plasmas were great for really dark colours, I really want bright whites at the top end or web browsing looks terrible; you feel like you always want to crank up the brightness another 20%.

I'm concerned that no-one does TVs in the style that I want these days :|

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

The thing I can't stand is screens that seem like a mirror or a pane of glass. I hate seeing reflections when I'm looking at a screen. Maybe the best screens don't have this problem? All my screens at the moment are matte.

Comment

I'm dreading the next time I shop for a TV. The last time was a nightmare and left me swearing never to buy an LG TV again... Plus I've got a Panasonic LCD when everyone was talking about Panny plasmas, because I use it as my computer monitor (that's what I'm posting from right now) and while those plasmas were great for really dark colours, I really want bright whites at the top end or web browsing looks terrible; you feel like you always want to crank up the brightness another 20%.

What style is it that you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    The thing I can't stand is screens that seem like a mirror or a pane of glass. I hate seeing reflections when I'm looking at a screen. Maybe the best screens don't have this problem? All my screens at the moment are matte.
                    It helps to not get a curved screen. That's their biggest drawback.

Comment

It helps to not get a curved screen. That's their biggest drawback.
                      I bought a big Sony TV for someone a couple of years ago. When we realised that everything in the room was reflected in the screen, we both agreed that is was ridiculous. So I investigated the issue and lots of people on AV forums etc.. were moaning about modern screens being like mirrors. I've noticed that this is now quite normal for tv screens, monitors, laptops etc.. So I'd really have to hope there are non-reflective screens out there. I've always used matte screens. When I look at a screen, I don't want to notice obvious reflections, like the screen is made of glass.

Ended up buying them an older 2012 Sony with a matte screen and they are really happy with it.

Also, I wouldn't want a 'curved screen'. Would annoy me.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-10-2019, 21:22.

Comment

The Samsung displays actually use a really insane anti reflection nano-surface.
                        Not like the normal coatings you see on spectacles or cameras, but closer to the types of things seen inside microscopes and industrial opto electronics.

If you are concerned about screen reflections, then those will give you better results than a matte or frosted style surface AND they won't wreck your image quality as a matte surface does.

Comment

I looked at the tellies in the massive Currys by me and was a bit overwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                            Longer than you'll want to watch it for.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              Btw, if anybody does want a display calibrated, do let me know
                              I'm going to hold you to this.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                The Samsung displays actually use a really insane anti reflection nano-surface.

If you are concerned about screen reflections, then those will give you better results than a matte or frosted style surface AND they won't wreck your image quality as a matte surface does.
                                Thanks for the info on Samsung screens -- I'll keep that in mind. I don't think 'matte' screens have had coatings that wreck the image for a long time. Modern[post 2008] matte screens are generally fine. But obviously, manufacturers moved away from matte to try to improve the image, but I really hate reflections. I'd rather have matte over reflections and accept less vividness.

The next screen I buy will have to be an OLED. I guess it will be a top end Sony. Might end up paying over £2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X