Retro Gaming: I'm Getting Too Old For This ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gaming: I'm Getting Too Old For This ****

Somewhat counter to Asura's thread and one along the lines of thoughts I've been having of late on a couple of games I've revisited:

What retro games that you've previously enjoyed have you returned to and they no longer click with you for some reason?

The only game I can think of is Rayman. It's absolutely gorgeous and I loved it in the 90s.

I wanted to replay it and beat it but the game takes rote memorisation to the extreme. It also has limited lives and continues and lives cannot be farmed. You can literally use up most, if not all of your lives and continues learning a single level. You end up using all of your lives to learn a level perfectly, reset, replay that level again, beat it and then save. Rinse and repeat for every stage in the game. Also, you have to 100% complete every level to unlock the final world which I have never done because **** that, I wasted enough of my time just getting to that point, I'm not going back through every level again.

That was 2011, I haven't touched the game since

Comment

Too many. Basically most pre-16-bit games I have no idea how I struggled through. Totally generalising and there are still a few that hold up... but not many. Same for many early PS1 games. I got Jumping Flash on PSN when I was playing my PSP a lot and I honestly couldn't see the game I remembered in it. It really was too early in figuring out how to make a 3D game.

Comment

Yeah, ps1/n64 era 3D games for me. Just can’t play them now. Apart from mgs.

Comment

Both N64 Zelda games, played them so much that I can no longer go back they just don’t interest me anymore I have seen and done everything in them maaaany times. Same with secret of mana, tried playing it again on SNES mini when it came out and I ended up really not liking it curious if they actually fixed the uk version or it was still a buggy mess like the original where chests would totally corrupt and glitch out. After half an hour I really didn’t care to find out.

Comment

Yeah, actually I experienced that with my recent Ocarina of Time playthrough and it really surprised me because I love that game. Even with the pretty 3DS version, the age of some game mechanics and the pacing, especially the early sections, just didn’t work for me the way they once did. I still think it’s an amazing game but it finally feels old to me.

Comment

Pretty much any Amiga game..

But First Samurai, Gods and Alien Breed i played quite a bit of way back, had a go at them on an emulator recently and pretty much gave up after few life's, just nothing there to keep me, but maybe its just me and attention span.

Comment

I'm definitely in the 8-Bit is too old camp now, next to nothing sustains my interest from that era now. The game that put this in my head though, and one I definitely didn't anticipate struggling with as I've completed it about 4 times before now, was:

Resident Evil 4

Tried it again this week and some some reason it felt like a clunky chore for the first time. Just really disliked it this time out and ended up abandoning it pretty early on in.

Comment

As much as I'm enjoying LCS at the moment I think after near 20 years one I'll have to let go is:

Grand Theft Auto III

First time I went back and it just didn't itch the spot for me anymore. Another would be:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I think I've burnt that one out now along with the same gen siblings.

Comment

Anything on the ZX Spectrum, just suck a pain to load and so many have horrible keyboard controls, before the arrow keys and, A,S,W,D was standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X