X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$16 for a USB-C cable?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      Won't there be a hack to bypass most of this cack?
      That’s what I’m wondering. I thinks it’s mostly being assumed based off their previous products but there’s no guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by gware View Post
        Ships in May 2021!
        I missed that bit. Ah well I’ll order one in May then. That’ll be enough time to buy some Everdrives prior to the Pocket’s release. Does look great though. The emulation of the GB screen looks brilliant. Hopefully it doesn’t emulate the blur too.

Comment

Yeah, all the other Analogue machines have been jailbroken to play ROMs. I think the Mega SG got hacked inside a week. I would figure the same will happen for this.

I kinda want the adapters even still though. I have a bunch of GG and NGPC games that it would be fun to plug in.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Yeah, all the other Analogue machines have been jailbroken to play ROMs. I think the Mega SG got hacked inside a week. I would figure the same will happen for this.
            It doesn't have an SD card slot though, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              It has a microSD slot.

Got to laugh at the marketing of this item. Announced last year, announced today’s announcement the other day and now it another announcement about pre ordering.

Comment

I love the look of the protective case, but my second thought was "how do I stop the protective case getting scratched?!"
                I would need a protective case for the protective case.
                Turtles all the way down...

Comment

I wonder if the Mister cores could be ported to this?
                  Must admit I’m intrigued by this game creation tool too. Could be a lot of fun.

Comment

This is actually tempting me for this reason... Though would it be the same without the click-stick? I'm never happy.
                    I was really interested before I got my RG350M. Now I'm pretty much sorted. Just took them too long to get this to market.
                    I think I'm going to side-step this one, because I just don't want to collect carts. You could get an everdrive for each platform but then I'm wondering if it's worth it, over the RG350M.
                    Yeah, definitely going to avoid this. I mean, to get what I want from it, it's going to be like $400 to get all the converters and everdrives.
                    We're all enjoying your mental turmoil as you decide if you actually want one of these or not!

Comment

Double post
                      Last edited by Junko; 27-07-2020, 17:27.

Comment

I want one of these now I think. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          We're all enjoying your mental turmoil as you decide if you actually want one of these or not!
                          Wait, you mean this place isn't my blog?

Comment

I wouldn't say it sounded like a blog.

Maybe more like a crazed tramp arguing with himself.

Comment

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded, but this doesn't really seem much different than those Chinese handhelds that Yakumo reviews on his channel, other than some fashion magazine style photography and the sheer cheek of selling a USB-C cable for $16 (I can't get over that).

I'm sure somebody will like them, but I can't help thinking that it's not really doing much new, other than running real carts which I imagine 99% of prospective customers are going to ultimately sidestep anyway. I guess you could say maybe it does super realistic emulation or something like that but in all honesty I don't think we're sat here in 2020 worrying that the internals of the Atari Lynx are just too complicated to be understood by our primitive ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                                Perhaps I'm a bit jaded, but this doesn't really seem much different than those Chinese handhelds that Yakumo reviews on his channel, other than some fashion magazine style photography and the sheer cheek of selling a USB-C cable for $16 (I can't get over that).

I'm sure somebody will like them, but I can't help thinking that it's not really doing much new, other than running real carts which I imagine 99% of prospective customers are going to ultimately sidestep anyway. I guess you could say maybe it does super realistic emulation or something like that but in all honesty I don't think we're sat here in 2020 worrying that the internals of the Atari Lynx are just too complicated to be understood by our primitive ways.
                                To be fair to them, it offers a couple of things.

Firstly it's FPGA, which as well as having accurate emulation, will also have 100% compatibility (because it's like running on an actual console); most emulators still don't have that, or they might be able to run a game only to find that something unplayable happens halfway through it.

Secondly it's the screen, and this is something I do think is genuinely new - that super high-res screen. Displaying games on portable screens results in screen artifacts. Compare this on my RG350M:

The top image is my RG350M, while the bottom image is a (slightly blurry as I had to cap it from a youtube video) version of how it should look. The sprites get mangled.

The problem is that handhelds have awkward res screens, so they don't "play nice" on screens that are readily available for generic devices (and people like ANBERNIC have to choose whether to support one platform really well at the expense of others, or multiple platforms to a reasonable degree).

Admittedly this is more of an issue for the NGPC than other consoles because it tends to get the shaft in this regard. Also some of the best games have awesome sprite work where it's a real shame to see it screwed up in this way. That being said, on the RG350M the games are perfectly playable and you notice less when actually playing.

The Analog device will still have this problem, but the much higher res will make it much harder to notice. This is something which is just going to be universally better than prior devices.

Comment

Working...
                                X