Ebay refund advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay refund advice

I bought a copy of SVC MOTM on the NGPC recently from Ebay, this is the original auction which looks great:

When i received it today the games spine has considerable sunfading, everything is great though. The seller claims he never noticed, but as you can see there's no pic of the spine which makes me suspicious. I've contacted the seller and they have been quite dismissive and calling my query "splitting hairs". I'm going to file an official refund request, but just wondered what everyone would do, would you put up with this?

I've taken a photo next to a couple of unfaded games for comparison.

Full screen image here https://i.imgur.com/HaYO6eY.jpg
    Last edited by Jamie; 16-10-2019, 13:34.

The listing has made no claims of the condition of the spine which definitely seems a bit suss given everything else was well documented. Given it's faded I wouldn't rate it in 9/10 condition. I think someone who hadn't noticed would have been apologetic rather than accuse you of splitting hairs and offered a partial refund.

Comment

Personally I could live with it and the condition looks nice from the rest of those eBay pictures. I've seen much worse.

Is the price you paid considered good?

The seller should have mentioned it but when I've sold stuff I never photograph the spines of games (although I rarely sell retro). I know our old flat in East London was awful for sun damage so there could be some genuineness in their response. That said I wouldn't be as dismissive but as a seller I can imagine you get quite defensive on eBay due to the numbers of people trying it on.

Comment

I understand both sides, however as soon as i sent him a picture he agreed it was damaged, but there was no apology or any trying to make things right, which i think has rubbed me up the wrong way. Tried not to go official Ebay route straight away to give him a chance, but it just makes me think he's pulling one with his response.

Comment

Unless all the spines are faded, I find it difficult to believe a collector (like this seller seems to be) wouldn't have noticed. I think I could probably live with it too given it doesn't look in bad condition overall, but it'd still nag at me when I noticed it next to others in perfect condition on the shelf.

Comment

It's not the money, i think it's a fairly good price for the game. It's more buying something based on description and then getting something different. When i sell something i try to be as honest as possible and if i make a mistake i take responsibility for it.

Comment

I feel a lot of eBay sellers are p*** poor at dealing with issues. I bought a new Chair Gas Lift recently where the item turned up clearly secondhand and already sinking (sold as new). The seller basically said 'return for a refund' via ineligible English.

I'd probably look at the wider picture first; how much did I want the game or was the price 'good'. There's no harm in asking for a partial refund I suppose. Making it clear that without resolution you'll return the game. That said I imagine the seller might choose the latter just to spite you.

Comment

I've had quite a few sellers refuse to give me a refund because they think I'm being picky. But if you have a strong case and make it clear to Ebay with an explanation and maybe images, they will nearly always side with the buyer. It's not worth their time to get into a squabble if there's a clear issue with an item that wasn't pointed out/described in the listing.

I bought a model car -- and when I received it a wing mirror had come off due to terrible packaging. The seller simply said "glue it back on", but I wasn't happy and Ebay agreed that I should have a refund. So Ebay took it into their own hands and gave me a prepaid returns label and then a refund once their system indicated that the seller had received the item back.

I've had the same sort of situation with a range of items that weren't described properly, or the seller blatantly lied about the condition. Ebay don't mess around once you make a strong case as to why you're not happy with an item. But sellers often act cocky, like they make the rules. Just trust Ebay to appreciate your complaint if it's reasonable.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-10-2019, 20:36.

Comment

I hate dishonest sellers with a passion, they think they can get away with it. I usually give sellers a chance to remedy their mistake but if I think they are messing me around I just goto eBay and let them deal with it. That fake 1019 memory card I got from videogameplus eBay account they insisted that it was genuine as they had the original invoices when they bought them they said to return it and initiate a return request which I did. They then proceeded to ignore my request so I went and got eBay to step in I sent them pics of the fake and they gave me a instant refund. Took much pleasure smashing the fake with a hammer.

I’d personally goto eBay and get them to deal with the seller it obviously isn’t in the condition you were expecting.

Comment

Test Puzzle Bobble Mini before you send it back, the initial manufacture batch had dodgy save RAM and won't save your progress and high scores correctly. If the cart fails, you've got another reason to return.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Test Puzzle Bobble Mini before you send it back, the initial manufacture batch had dodgy save RAM and won't save your progress and high scores correctly. If the cart fails, you've got another reason to return.
                      That's true, although I thought he bought MOTM?

Comment

Oh yeah, duh, the Puzzle Bobble looks faded to me also, hence the confusion!

Comment

Oh yeah, duh, the Puzzle Bobble looks faded to me also, hence the confusion!
                          *Imagines a sad face and chin wobble when Jamie reads that*

Comment

I have full UK and Japanese NGPC sets, I know faded when I see it, oops!

Comment

I have full UK and Japanese NGPC sets, I know faded when I see it, oops!

Comment

Working...
                              X