Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brigand : Oaxaca (PC) - awesome janky FPS RPG

Has anyone else played this?

Brigand: Oaxaca is a highly difficult post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico. Emphasis is on challenge, a branching story with multiple endings, and total freedom of action (kill friendly characters, rob stores, jump across roofs, etc.).

It's a strange FPS RPG set 100 years after World War III, in Mexico, and features cybertonic implants, hacking, mutant zombies, voodoo magic, swordfighting, gunplay, explosives, demons, crafting, factions, multiple endings, a complex inventory, day/night cycle, dialogue trees, and a complex skills system.

Basically it's a weird blend of cool stuff from Deus Ex, STALKER, Fallout, Gothic, Morrowind, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, Pathologic, etc.

And it was made by just one man.

I bought it on the strength of this video:

To give you an example of how awesome it is, and how most problems have multiple solutions, Chapter 3 requires you to sneak into the enemy city of Pochutla. To do so you need a password. You can either make a deal with a shaman, Tio, to kill the head of a banana beer plantation, Ricardo, in order to prove your loyalty and get the password. But this makes Ricardo's faction, the UBNS, hostile to you. You can find and bribe a specific NPC for the password, but it's pricey. Or like me, you can stumble across a soldier's corpse in the wasteland, a guy also trying to get into Pochutla. He doesn't know the passwords, one for morning, afternoon, night, and early morning. But he knows they are based on questions relating to the shaman's religion. So read his diary and find the questions he scrawled. So I go back to the shaman, who also sells voodoo books, and lo and behold, one of his books deals with his religion's history. I buy it for 5 jink, scroll to the chapter I need, and discover the answers. I then type these with my keyboard and get access to the city.

The whole discovery was very organic.

I bought ELEX on the Steam special, but I find I just keep wanting to play this. It's weird, and janky, and awesome.

If anyone else is tempted to start and needs tips, let me know. It's super tough at first, but there's a lot of things you can do to make the ride easier. For one thing, focus on a gunplay style character with charisma. When creating a custom class you want to jack charisma up to 10, and immediately buy the Negotiate and Detect Motive abilities. These are passive abilities that will allow you to get more currency and more experience points during dialogue.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 20-10-2019, 17:58.

I get the feeling no one cares for this, but still...

There's a sale to get both the game and its DLC half price:
    A bundle by Brian Lancaster, $6.48 for Brigand: Oaxaca, Brigand: Panama DLC

I do not know Brian, so this isn't spamming for personal gain, I just really, rally loved these two games. The Panama DLC is solid good, but it's Oaxaca which is mind blowing.

For me.

Watch the vids, because you need to be that special kind of person to love these games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
      you need to be that special kind of person to love these games.
      Oh no. I have no interest in this whatsoever but I want to be a special person. Hmmmm, what to do!?

If I remember about it next time I’m on steam I’ll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Oh no. I have no interest in this whatsoever but I want to be a special person. Hmmmm, what to do!?
        It's not a good kind of special. I only put that because I've praised games before and people got annoyed because they got them and hated them. So essentially, Brad, this sentence was because I now lack self confidence when telling others of the things I like. Almost as if I feel shame for liking them. But I can't deny I do love the epic jankiness of Brigand. Not ironically. Sincerely.

So, if you find yourself wanting something other than the gloss of triple-A, something a little bit broken, which looks like Deus Ex, then you are that kind of person.

Others will scorn you. But in your heart, you'll know you're enjoying the richer, deeper, experience.

Comment

Working...
        X