The House in Fata Morgana [PS4/PSV/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The House in Fata Morgana [PS4/PSV/PC]

Buckle up for another visual novel thread, folks!

I'd heard great things about this for years, and was delighted to hear that Limited Run were showing an interest in having this not only translated, but released in physical form on PSV/PS4. It's a step beyond the original game too, including the added prequel & sequel scenarios 'A Requiem for Innocence' and 'Reincarnation'.

Given the story is the main pull, it's very hard to talk too far into the game without spoiling things. In short: you awake in a mansion, devoid of your memory, and are greeted by a maid who insists that you are the master of this place. She begins to show you around, specifically to a number of doors behind which are stories of the mansion and its inhabitants in different periods of time. Slowly this starts to connect various threads of why the mansion is deemed to be cursed, and your relationship to it.

It's certainly not the most light-hearted game, and though romance is one of the biggest themes throughout its stories, there's also a lot of violence, deviancy, and trauma. In other news that might put some folks off, it's a very 'pure' VN in that there's not really any attempt to gameify any aspects of it beyond some (quite infrequent) branching dialogue / decision paths.

I'm not at the end yet, but I am about 30ish hours in, and although I think some parts could certainly have been edited down a touch without taking too much away, I've been enjoying it a lot. The theming and the music go together beautifully, and though I'd say it's a little slow-burn, the story is excellent too.

Finished this earlier in the week.

It's not a short game, and I certainly think it could've been a bit snappier in places, but still, I really enjoyed my time with it. The plot takes plenty of shots at your heart strings, and trying to remain as intentionally vague as I can here, it also tackles some big issues around identity with a surprising degree of tact and humanity.

I'm not sure if anyone's considering it, or if it's even a blip on anyone's radar, but if you're open to VNs I'd recommend it pretty highly.

Comment

Working...
    X