The Outer Worlds - PC/PS4/XBOX One/Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Outer Worlds - PC/PS4/XBOX One/Switch

I'm just starting this and put a lot of points into conversation options. Melee feels a lot more effective and satisfying than ranged combat so far and it really does feel like Fallout in space which is no bad thing.

The writing so far has been excellent. I'm very happy with the tone.

That Microsoft money certainly seems to have helped, it feels a lot more... solid than most Obsidian games.

I'm kind of torn on the graphics; the game has this almost saturated look to it? It looks nice but in a weird kind of way. It's too demanding for my trusty AMD 290 to max out unless I drop to a 30fps cap. I've got a good 5 years out of the card so I can't complain.

Love some of the things that are different to Fallout. here's some:

3 types of ammo, light, heavy and energy makes things simple compared to having 20 types of ammo in Fallout and finding lots of useless calbre rounds.

Tactical Time Dilation feels very useful (it's a slowmo), without making it feel like cheating unlike VATs.

Skill points and Perks seem more interesting and valuable.

Lots of chat options to call people out on their bulls***, and to generally be an asshole to people. Can really play the character the way you want.

No more Eye icon during sneaking to tell you if you are seen or not. You have to look around for yourself, shut doors behind you etc, if you want to loot and steal peoples stuff.

Infinite sprint! no stamina!

Supernova difficulty is really fun, introducing some hardcore elements to the game like hunger and thirst but without over doing it.

Comment

Got my Pc gamer pass for 1 euro so downloading the game now one thing that has really surprised from what i hear was not many bugs

Comment

I tried this on Xbox One X last night - only a few hours in and I really liked what I played. Initial thoughts:
        • Really solid technically although suffers from framerate drops which is a shame. But definitely has some high production qualities.
        • Voice work and facial animations seem on point.
        • Visually bright luminescent 'oil slick' colour use that feels unique. Reminds me of the bright colour of No Man's Sky crossed with the architecture of Bioshock Infinite. With a bit or Rage/Borderlands in places.
        • The opening is done well, although it's very linear. So far it's lacked that signature Bethesda wow moment when you finally step into the world.
        • The UI is wonderful, if somewhat still consolfied/tab affair.
        • The character creation is fantastic. I'm sure I could nitpick certain element but overall really in-depth.
        • Loads of dialog options.

I definitely going to play this although it'll interfere with my current Destiny 2 progress.

Comment

Played about a hour on PC was really impressed

Some of the facial animation reminded me of that E3 2017 Demo of Anthem (which turned out to be fake ) quite impressed.

Also has the Fallout 50s future style vibe to

I really liked the combat while still not Doom levels for FPS it felt far beyond Fallout 4

Voice Acting was on point

Makes me feel sad in a way though as can you imagine how good Fallout New vegas would have been if they were given the time and Budget

Comment

After giving that a quick read I adjusted my settings and everything's running a lot smoother now.

My inner kleptomaniac is running wild with this game, I keep getting over-encumbered. I'm also starting to settle in with the weapons. The sniper rifle and machine gun feels particularly effective, especially with TD activated.

I think the writing makes it a lot easier to be an arse in this game, so far anyway. I'm having a lot of fun just being kind of a dick.

Comment

I’ve put about 5 hours into this so far. It does seem somewhat derivative (Fallout meets Rage meets Borderlands meets Bioshock) but I am finding myself enjoying it. Probably wouldn’t have bothered with it if it hadn’t been on Game Pass.

Comment

Jim Sterling's review is inspiring

I think will be my game to play over Xmas. Maybe it will drop in price for black Friday or something.

Comment

Unfortunately I was on Destiny 2 last night so didn't spend any more time with this.

I do like SkillUp's sentiment with this game. Does make me feel a bit cheap by just playing it on Game Pass.

Comment

I hope the Switch version holds up.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how it fares. I'd definitely play it safe and wait for a DF comparison first though.

I've unlocked all of the companions now and spent a large chunk of time on Monarch doing all of the side quests. I'm definitely more partial to the rifle and machine gun at this point.

I was looking through my inventory and realised I don't pay any attention to consumables outside of the standard hp packs. It's got to the point that I just sell everything else now. I'm sure they would be useful on higher difficulty levels but on Normal it's not something you need to pay attention to. Ditto for commanding your companions; they handle themselves well enough, especially with a flamethrower equipped.

Comment

I've started on Supernova difficulty as that seems to be like a modded edition of the game with companion perma-death and thirst/hunger, etc. It seems to be pretty polished, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                          Love some of the things that are different to Fallout. here's some:

3 types of ammo, light, heavy and energy makes things simple compared to having 20 types of ammo in Fallout and finding lots of useless calbre rounds.

Tactical Time Dilation feels very useful (it's a slowmo), without making it feel like cheating unlike VATs.

Skill points and Perks seem more interesting and valuable.

Lots of chat options to call people out on their bulls***, and to generally be an asshole to people. Can really play the character the way you want.

No more Eye icon during sneaking to tell you if you are seen or not. You have to look around for yourself, shut doors behind you etc, if you want to loot and steal peoples stuff.

Infinite sprint! no stamina!

Supernova difficulty is really fun, introducing some hardcore elements to the game like hunger and thirst but without over doing it.
                          It's basically a retail version of Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition, but with a different story and a new name. From replacing VATs with a slow-mo meter to the perk system and survival modes. Really pleased with it.

Comment

This is really good, isn't it? Even the facial animations and expressions are all superb. Even the writing is adding an extra layer to the package, which is something I never usually care about.

I urge everyone who liked Fallout 3/4 to pick this up. It's pretty absurd finding a game this polished coming from outside of Nintendo. Maybe if enough people invest then The Outer Worlds 2 will be massive in scope. I'd also like to see them tackle the fantasy genre and give us an Elder Scrolls alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              I'd also like to see them tackle the fantasy genre and give us an Elder Scrolls alternative.
                              They already have a good foundation for that with Pillars of Eternity. Would be fantastic if PoE3 was something like a modern Dragon Age Origins.

Comment

Working...
                              X