No announcement yet.

The Outer Worlds - PC/PS4/XBOX One/Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn’t get into this at all - did the first world and got off the planet and explore a few more worlds, but found the reams of dialogue tedious, the inventory management painful and the gunplay / melee and weapons unsatisfying. Looks quite nice but dig under the stunning vistas and it’s all, rather basic. and i’m sure there is a decent experience in there, but I couldn’t find it in the 10hrs I put into it.

Comment

I beat it today at 27 hours. It's not too long really. I had a really good time with it although I did notice there were a few planets I never got to explore. I'm not sure if I just didn't do quests in a certain way to unlock them or more likely, they were cut before release.

Either way, there's a solid base there to build a sequel on. I'll be there day one if it happens

In the future I'll probably do a 100% murder run since you can do that apprently and also a pro Board run as well.

Comment

This really is an utterly shameless Fallout clone, but as it looks better, runs better, and is largely free from bugs, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm playing this on Windows Game Pass and it runs fine (60fps with everything on Ultra) although there's still a ton of LOD pops in it. Visually it's inoffensive, if really, really uninspired. The art direction is essentially bits of Bioshock, No Mans Sky, and Fallout thrown together, and all built from obviously modular pieces. Even the music sounds like it's taken straight from Fallout.

It feels like comfort food gaming. Incredibly familiar, unchallenging and uninspired, but at the same time it's more of a fundamentally solid formula. A 6/10 game I guess. Above average, but I doubt anyone will remember it in 6 months' time. Perhaps just as well that it's essentially free.

Comment

Started this on Xbox. The movement is making me a bit queasy! Weird.

Comment

I've put a fair few more hours into this now and I stand by my original comment that it's derivative. But, it's derivative done well. Finding myself enjoying it more and more. Reminded me of KOTOR with the companion story-lines.

Comment

Just sunk a load more hours into this. Still loving it. Never played Fallout, so loving the sarcastic, jaded world view of a corporation-led space colonisation story!

Comment

I picked up the Switch version in the Boxing Week sales, so may start it sometime before 2024.

Comment

I'm on Monarch and have five companions now. My equipment is getting better and fights aren't overly stressful now.
                  Never use melee weapons.

Comment

Update to the above: fights can still be stressful on Monarch, because the damn place is littered with monsters. Mantiqueens and Giant Raptidons everywhere.

Comment

Has the performance been sorted on this yet? Frame rate was terrible on SeriesX when I played this last year but i liked the concept of it all.

Comment

Working...
                      X