Phoenix|Down X10: Metal Gear Solid VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix|Down X10: Metal Gear Solid VI

We move into the final thread in the series without delay and focus on judging a franchise that is adrift thanks to it creator now moving on to pastures new since the last entry and Konami losing any and all sense of true interest in gaming development for major titles. One of the biggest franchises in gaming now sits idle and wasted with its owner unable and/or unwilling to move forward.

Metal Gear Solid VI

The last game took the series into an open world design that led to a successful launch but a more marmite reaction as time passed. A lot of elements progressed, reflecting Kojima's desire to move on from the series to new things, but others left some long term fans feeling like the series had sacrificed too much. A sixth entry would then face an early decision, continue marching down the path of open world missions or return to a more linear narrative structure the series was historically known for.

If Konami ever dares to brave the attempt, what form should Metal Gear Solid VI take?

I'm assuming then that after MGS5 everyone wants the series to stay dead

Comment

Well I was going to chime in but I never played MGSV and I felt 4 was barely a game so I figured I probably wasn't the best person to comment on where 6 should go! I still have lots of love for the first two games though, especially the first.

Comment

It's quietly gutting it's over despite me not liking MGS5 as when the series was great it was really on point. I'd have been over the moon to get a worthy follow up to MGS3 and the notion of open world approaches in the MGS series never held appeal, it always felt like the series bending to the notion of modern games needing to include that aspect and whilst MGS5 gave Snake the relevant abilities the open world was one of the most dire open environments in a major game. It's a bit like adding open world aspects to Uncharted or Gears etc, it doesn't add anything because the series isn't built that way. So for a sixth game I'd prefer it to take steps backward, not to be as cutscene obsessed as the fourth game was but still, a modern era approach. The trouble for Konami would always be less designing the game I guess and more writing it given how convoluted and tied to Kojima it is. Hell, I'd settle for top end remakes of 1-4 at this point. I really need to replay those at some point.

Comment

Working...
        X