User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What's particularly painful is the death of EA's ability to produce solid racers. Yesterday I read a comment that NFS Heat was not as solid as Payback which is a hell of a burn

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming...-enablement/1/

For those like me who forgot but may already have two step verification on their Origin accounts enabled, sometime around now a free months play on Origin Access should be kicking in right now giving you 10hr access to their games which this month will include Need for Speed: Heat and Star Wars: Fallen Jedi - free stuff!

Desert Strike, Road Rash, NHL Hockey, John Madden Football and Robocod are some of my fave Mega Drive games.

It occurred to me the other day that this is the first generation of videogame consoles where I haven't purchased a single Madden game. Since the series launched I have always purchased one or more for a console generation. However with the fee-to-play/freemium Ultimate Team I just don't care for Madden anymore. And despite perhaps being part of a wider issue with losing interest in Sports games, Madden is a game I've always loved to check in on and thoroughly associate with my videogame hobby.

I still bought EA games this gen, but far less than before. For the Xbox 360/PS3 I bought quite a few and really enjoyed them. The likes of: Mass Effects Trilogy (and DLC), Dead Space, Battlefield 1943/2BC/3, Mirror's Edge, Dragon Age, Need for Speed etc. This generation I've bought the odd game like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Titanfall 1/2 but not much else. I only purchased Mass Effect Andromeda as it was 6 or so in a sale recently. Loads of games like Battlefront, Battlefield, NFS are games I just don't care for anymore. Which is real shame.

Where I am interested in a Live Services game, they are never from EA. Their annualised franchises burn me out (again much like the other big pubs) or they have turned every single one into a GaaS. I think it speaks volumes that it is really just the rumours of an remastered Mass Effect Trilogy that I am most interested in.

I think of EA in the same manner as Activision Blizzard, Take-Two Interactive, Bethesda, Ubisoft and most of the other big publishers. Hell even Valve are in a similar category. Publishers that pursue overly aggressive monetisation and business models at the expense of the consumer and a videogame's design. Sure there will be the odd exception but generally this statement is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    I can see EA moving more in to mobile gaming and producing only the sure fire Sports games on consoles next gen. They are purely about chasing the big dollars and with loot boxes under attack they probably abandon consoles soon enough.
    Things are going well for EA so I'm not sure why they would move toward only mobile. EA have transitioned to making more money from MTX and services than game sales. And in that sense being on as many platforms as possible is important to them. I think one danger for EA is the threat towards greater lootbox regulation although I'm sure they will equally abuse another business model if lootboxes are no longer an option. Like all the other big publishers that battle is long since lost and every single one pursuing the same MTX/Live Service model. It's why the debate should focus heavily on greater regulation and consumer protection.

Sorry for a long post
    Last edited by Digfox; 06-11-2019 at 11:56 PM.

That chart is interesting as it suggests they're heavily buoyed by live services at the moment. that mobile aspect that was once the industry darling is in decline and the level of competition inbound on live services will squeeze out EA who simply don't have the content to compete. Given the increasing march towards bans or legal restrictions on MTX, GAAS, Loot Boxes as well it would take a simply downturn in that area and they're snookered because they've slaughtered their product line.

I was just looking at that list of key EA licences and it made me think "when did I actually last buy an EA game?". After a lot of thought, it turns out it was The Sims 3 which came out in... June 2009!

While they've destroyed a fair few of my beloved franchises (SimCity), I've never actively boycotted them. I just don't like the bad influence they have on any franchise they get hold of, usually fIlling it with lame " urban" crap (done from the viewpoint of some guy using a VHS copy of Menace 2 Society as their sole reference point) and music by EA Trax (do they still do that?).

I hope they go bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    That chart is interesting as it suggests they're heavily buoyed by live services at the moment. that mobile aspect that was once the industry darling is in decline and the level of competition inbound on live services will squeeze out EA who simply don't have the content to compete. Given the increasing march towards bans or legal restrictions on MTX, GAAS, Loot Boxes as well it would take a simply downturn in that area and they're snookered because they've slaughtered their product line.
    This is actually why i think theyll head towards Mobile gaming next gen, you've just worded it better. If you look at those graphs and kick the legs out from live services, they have to then rely on game sales and Mobile, but as you say they've slaughtered their product line, so really it only leaves mobile gaming and probably sports games. With mobile you can hit a new audience which will be more naive to the antics of EA.

https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/r...ate-trademark/

Well timed news as EA let one of their trademarks on Skate expire, there's another which has 10 years left though so it's unsure if they're done with it or not.