No announcement yet.

IN:Gen 01: Electronic Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That chart is interesting as it suggests they're heavily buoyed by live services at the moment. that mobile aspect that was once the industry darling is in decline and the level of competition inbound on live services will squeeze out EA who simply don't have the content to compete. Given the increasing march towards bans or legal restrictions on MTX, GAAS, Loot Boxes as well it would take a simply downturn in that area and they're snookered because they've slaughtered their product line.

Comment

I was just looking at that list of key EA licences and it made me think "when did I actually last buy an EA game?". After a lot of thought, it turns out it was The Sims 3 which came out in... June 2009!

While they've destroyed a fair few of my beloved franchises (SimCity), I've never actively boycotted them. I just don't like the bad influence they have on any franchise they get hold of, usually fIlling it with lame " urban" crap (done from the viewpoint of some guy using a VHS copy of Menace 2 Society as their sole reference point) and music by EA Trax (do they still do that?).

I hope they go bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        That chart is interesting as it suggests they're heavily buoyed by live services at the moment. that mobile aspect that was once the industry darling is in decline and the level of competition inbound on live services will squeeze out EA who simply don't have the content to compete. Given the increasing march towards bans or legal restrictions on MTX, GAAS, Loot Boxes as well it would take a simply downturn in that area and they're snookered because they've slaughtered their product line.
        This is actually why i think theyll head towards Mobile gaming next gen, you've just worded it better. If you look at those graphs and kick the legs out from live services, they have to then rely on game sales and Mobile, but as you say they've slaughtered their product line, so really it only leaves mobile gaming and probably sports games. With mobile you can hit a new audience which will be more naive to the antics of EA.

Comment

SKATE IS DEAD! EA WILL NEVER MAKE A SKATE GAME EVER AGAIN! At least that’s the drama that unfolded on Friday when news popped up of Electronic Arts abandoning the trademark for Skate, leading many an armchair pundit to declare the franchise well and truly dead. Not exactly.

Well timed news as EA let one of their trademarks on Skate expire, there's another which has 10 years left though so it's unsure if they're done with it or not.

Comment

Despite three flops in a row the Need For Speed franchise is not dead, but Hot Pursuit developer Criterion are making the next one.

EA simply doesn't know what to do with itself anymore. So, burned by another Need for Speed flop release, the company is breaking apart its Ghosts studio and making it a support studio for other parts of the company. Some staffers are finding themselves shunted around as EA moves the Need for Speed franchise back over the skeletal remains of Criterion Games.

Criterion Games will now be developing Need for Speed XXV but other than a geographical change back to the UK studio it doesn't really change anything given the series has largely been handled by the fumes of the original criterion team throughout the last generation or two to little success.

Comment

???
              I thought EA took Criterion to a quiet place and shot it dead? And now they are resuscitating it with very few of the staff that made it in the first place and they think some kind of magic is going to happen? Something very odd is happening behind the doors at EA.

Comment

Apparently a lot of Criterion were transferred (TUPE Maybe) to Ghost Games a few years ago, so a few people reckon this is just a rebrand. But it sounds like financials, management or a new project are other possible reasons.

Comment

Just tell them to remake Burnout 2 and 3!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    ???
                    I thought EA took Criterion to a quiet place and shot it dead? .
                    No, they've worked on a number of games, just helping out. I remember reading in a Newspaper that apparently they were voted to the best place to work in 2018/9 LOL.

Hopefully, it will mean more staff taken on and they'll get Need for Speed back. No many studios make a better racer than the British these days

Comment

That's the secret ingredient EA have been missing...they need all of the people who work on the game to be British.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        That's the secret ingredient EA have been missing...they need all of the people who work on the game to be British.
                        When it comes to racing games and the especially the Need For Speed series. It hard to top the Brits at the mo

Comment

Purely when it comes to NFS I don't see the gain EA is going for here, all it did beforehand is drag Criterion down rather than boost NFS up. Their most successful racer this gen has been the Burnout Paradise remaster, time for EA to recognise they sacrificed the wrong lamb

Comment

Working...
                          X