No announcement yet.

Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait . No way will the likes of Horizon: Zero Dawn II be a launch game but I'm looking forward to Halo, Forza, Ghosts of Tsushima at launch.
    Fully expecting the next XBox to suprise many and be monster of an machine

Comment

A month down as we reach:

10 Months to Go

And we now know what the Xbox is called and looks like, what the PS5 logo looks like and some speculation of Nintendo throwing a third iteration of Switch onto the market. With another month down in the countdown we will this month discuss

The Subscription Services

With the passing of this gen we've seen the two services adapt. Xbox Live still continues as is but is no longer the poster child for Xbox services, the attention now firmly lying on xCloud and Game Pass. Sony has continued its PSN+ service but having watered down the generosity of the free games and also making the subscription mandatory for online play.

In the next generation, how do you foresee Xbox Live and PSN+ developing?

Comment

I think having Xbox Live and Gamepass and PSN+ is muddy. I suspect MS will rebrand 'xbox live' to 'Gamepass' (or the opposite) and create a tiered offering. Maybe with the upper payment being more then it is now, but giving something extra too. It will introduce confusopoly to keep people on their toes. Sony will probably do the same: pay for online gaming or pay more and also get discounts and free games and stuff.

Comment

February is about to land meaning it's now:

9 Months to Go

Perhaps one of the biggest dangers of launching a new generation of consoles is reaching that day and the reality of the new machines being a disappointing one. Perhaps that risk is at its most greatest with this newest generation of consoles due to the current generations release of mid-gen refreshes that have narrowed the gap in terms of technology. Microsoft have talked about their love of framerates, Sony is keen on pushing ever onwards toward 8K support and both are building Ray Tracing support into their systems which have built dreams in the fans of some minds of a 4K, 60fps super reflective golden era in modern gaming.

As ever, PC's hold the answer. It takes a very cursory glance at PC GPU tech to quickly realise that without making sacrifices (as with Xbox titles) that 4K/60fps is out of the question in most instances. Ray tracing will also be diluted in effect and restricted to 30fps capped games thanks to the exhaustive demands it places on even new hardware.

Are you anticipating a very iterative improvement next generation or are you still pinning your hopes of a great advancement despite the risk of disappointment?

Comment

I can’t see why we can’t have 4k 60hz and raytracing if that’s what the systems are designed for. The far beefier CPUs and huge improvements in storage speeds plus the ability to optimize for a fixed target spec will surely yield impressive results. All of this tech exists in the PC to an extent but developers can’t afford to target their titles at such a system as there just aren’t enough of them around.

Comment

Ah, so going for the path of disappointment I see

Comment

Okay, time for some wild and baseless guesswork theory making.

Step One: Take the Call of Duty franchise
                Step Two: Note how the first Season of Modern Warfares online support was extended in a manner that now means season changes are more likely to occur mid-month
                Step Three: Season 01 was targeted for 3 months, that would imply S2 runs till May, S3 till Aug then S4 till November
                Step Four: Support typically ends when a new COD arrives which is usually late Oct till mid Nov each year, the new season timing would suit Call of Duty XVII launching mid-November

Now...

It seems unlikely that Activision would be that keen for PS4/XBO Call of Duty XVII to launch weeks before PS5/XSX versions given the abundance of competing products and the new consoles compatibility for current gen versions, retiming the support of MW's seasons would see a nicely timed transition for the consoles we know are targeting November 2020 launches.
                It's also unlikely that both consoles will launch the same day even if they launched very close together, basically ala XBO and PS4's launches

ergo... it would be easy to base the timing of MW support and the launches of past CoD games to project a Call of Duty XVII launch intended for every format at once on Friday 13 November 2020

Xbox One launched on 22 November 2013
                Xbox 360 launched on 22 November 2005
                Xbox launched on 15 November 2001

More complicated but broadly:
                Playstation 2 launched in the EU on 24 November 2000
                Playstation 3 launched on or around 17 November 2006
                Playstation 4 launched on or around 15/29 November 2013

This year the key Friday's in November are the 06, 13, 20 and 27

I feel we can rule the 06 out. The 22 is a Sunday so MS will have to abort that date but the closest would be the 20 November for XSX is they wanted as close to date as possible rather than a race to being the first to shelf.

That being said - Sony is currently Activisions first choice for marketing the Call of Duty franchise which would mean that a somewhat coordinated marketing push which saw the Call of Duty games steered toward a Friday 13 November 2020 launch in a heavily marketed drive alongside bedfellows Sony's Playstation 5 launch would make a sizeable shot across MS's bow regardless of whether XSX launched the week before or the week after.

Would it be unreasonable therefore to tie this together to assume:

Sony Playstation 5 - Launches worldwide on 13 November 2020
                Microsoft Xbox Series X - Launches in the EU and US on or around either 06 November 2020 or 20 November 2020

?

Comment

Makes sense.

But there is an extreme this year, and that is the Coronavirus (now Covid-19). Some analysts are suggesting Q1 2021 for the consoles (and some software titles) if production is delayed by months.

Comment

I might skip the next console generation.

I've only had my PS4 less than 3 years and the Xbox One even less.
                    I've barely got started.
                    I took a photo today of my unplayed 360 and PS3 games so I can check the One BC list for the former.

I don't really play online, so there's no window of popularity I'm going to miss (although I have a hankering for Lost Planet 2/EDF co-op fun).

We'll see, but more shiny, at present, isn't enough to woo me.

Comment

I think there are compelling reasons to wait. I barely used my launch PS4 in the first year, and it was only when the Destiny Alpha came around that it got some heavy use. I think with that report that only 10% of devs are working on 'next-gen' and games will work across generations are factors in making the jump more seamless and less 'urgent'.

You might even get better prices or updated hardware revisions by waiting, although this depends. I appreciate it will be different for everyone but the reasons to jump on straight away are less this time imo.

Comment

Would it be feasible for Sony and MS to relocate manufacturing for their consoles in the short term should coronavirus continue to be a factor? Presumably manufacturing must be looking to start soon and with China being responsible for so many products most companies must be looking into alternative fall back plans

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Would it be feasible for Sony and MS to relocate manufacturing for their consoles in the short term should coronavirus continue to be a factor? Presumably manufacturing must be looking to start soon and with China being responsible for so many products most companies must be looking into alternative fall back plans
                          I think the short answer is no. And this is what analyst are sayings; delays of a few months or more will push the new consoles into next year. In addition there is no more global capacity for some parts (high bandwidth memory, silicon wafers etc.).

As an example, Nintendo moved some of its production to Vietnam in response to the US - China trade war but is still heavily dependant on China for components being manufactured. A number of companies are referencing delays of some kind due to Coronavirus (Covid-19), including Nintendo who are experiencing disruption in hardware manufacturing of the Switch.

Only time will tell.

Comment

If they do slip into next year I can only imagine how dismal the 2020/2021 financial results will be

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              If they do slip into next year I can only imagine how dismal the 2020/2021 financial results will be
                              I think the impact will fall more heavily on the platform holders. At the very least stock shortages and higher costs to bare from manufacturing. As well as delays in profits from releasing hardware (and then knock on effects of less subs, digital sales etc.). For example, Sony are already reporting significant slowdown in hardware sales.

Publishers are also experiencing delays in some of their software projects due to the Coronavirus but given Call of Duty, FIFA, Cyberpunk et all will be multiplatform I suspect the effect will be reduced on their results.

Comment

I love games, but I've always got so much of a backlog going that I can never justify rushing out for the new one. I probably won't get in on the next generation for several years, which is pretty much what I've done my entire life (with the rare exception of the Saturn). Launch titles are rarely that big of a thing and I don't think consoles really "get going" until they've had a couple of years at least. By that time the price will have been argued down to something better, most of the early faults have been ironed out and there's a decent library of games already there.

All I hope this time is that the consoles are reliable, because I don't like having £300+ down in something that explodes shortly after the warranty is up.

Comment

Working...
                                X