Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Months To Go

So, we're closing in and are barely any better off on info than we were last month. What we do know though is enough to revisit the subject of:

The Launch Line Ups

We know that Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will be there as expected, as will the 4K/30fps action of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. From a first party angle though it now looks like Microsoft will be relying on the cross generation Halo: Infinite and timed exclusive The Medium whilst Sony will be leaning on the appeal of the smaller scaled Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Godfall and timed exclusive Deathloop.

Both look to be much thinner than generations past but will also have their backwards compatibility to lean a little bit on through the holidays.

Which is looking better and which will hold more appeal to the masses?

Comment

The masses want their annual updates so no real advantage there. Spider-Man will be popular but Halo will likely do better numbers.
      Very lackluster launch lineups IMHO. But I suppose that’s not unusual.
      Backwards compatibility and free upgrades will be the big draw come November.

Comment

MS are going in to this generation in, what looks like, 3rd place. Nintendo switch numbers are close to the speculated xbox sales, beating it by a couple of million. Unlike the switch, which my mum can play, MS are going after core gamers. They don't have a gimmicky controller and dancing games or Mario. I'm going to get a switch for the kids to play. My point is MS aren't going to muscle out Nintendo in that 'Second console' space, so the sales of the switch will remain steady and then die off.
        For MS to get the SeriesX to second place they'll have to sell 60+ million.
        Sony are going in to this generation having sold 111 million and counting.
        MS need either an influx of new gamers, or they need to steal playstation players. The games MS have shown aren't going to do that, with the best will in the world. Sony's launch line up might not be much better, but gamers will trust Sony to bring games they like later. Buying a PS5 at launch is more an investment. MS don't have that buyers faith.
        Another factor is community buying. That is to say, what are your friends and people you know currently playing and what are you all going to buy next to play on? Most people are playing on the PS4. Their game scores and installs are all on there. So it's much easier, in this digital age (remember, digital downloads are beginning to outstrip disk sales) to get a PS5 and carry on playing online with your friends with backwards compatibility. All those fortnite players can jump across, redownload and carry on where they left off. If they got a SeriesX, they'd have to buy the game again, and depending on the game, maybe even start again from scratch.
        Hardware wise, does MS have the upper hand? 12TF says yes, but the graphic of Halo says no. Also the technical details of the PS5 seem far more interesting, especially for developers. I suspect that come next year when the comparison vids come out, the games will be identical.
        Honestly I can see MS selling less this generation then last. And that's a real shame.

Comment

Ok so.

Halo - no longer happening
          The Medium - Eurojank
          Miles Morales - mission pack for PS4 game
          Godfall - game so generic it looks like a fake game someone would be playing in a movie because the studio couldn’t strike a product placement deal to show a real game
          Deathliop - looks ok but small fry

For me it’s an insanely crap launch line up. Got to say I reckon it’s the worst ever. Really anyone buying at launch (and I plan to buy at launch, god knows why) has to see their new console as a ‘Pro’ version of their current gen system initially. It’s going to be a way of playing current gen stuff with slightly better frame rates etc on day 1.

Which kinda sucks compared to previous launches honestly.
          Last edited by wakka; 11-08-2020, 20:08.

Comment

I don't think [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] is too enamoured with the launch line-ups.

Comment

Well I’m sure I don’t know where you got that impression

Comment

RTX3080Ti for me.

Never has an easier choice been presented.

Comment

I'll definitely agree without needing much thought to it, this probably is the worst generation for launch line ups and that was before Infinite was kicked into the long grass.

Comment

I'm definitely buying a PS5. That goes without saying. It's more a question of when.

I've gone from waiting, to launch and now back to waiting again.

I've 100% TLOU2 and GoT so replaying those on PST isn't something I necessarily want to do in 3 months.

Unless Sony have some crazy big 1st party or exclusive announcement to make before launch like TLOU2 Factions or Ridge Raver 8 then I may well wait until 2021 when things have quietened down a bit and Ratchet has a release date. Then again, Ratchet could still turn out to be a launch game so I'd be back in day one.

Comment

2 Months to Go

Let's just let that sink in for a moment. Two months... two... months... and we still don't know the release dates, prices, confirmed software line ups. It not only makes a (and I emphasise the word here) monthly updated thread much harder to do but also begins to really test the patience of fans of both formats who have to plan their savings and expenditure for the machines around the uncertainty of Covid times. That means this months question is...

If Sony and Microsoft continue to hold out on gamers with concrete details of their launch pricing and plans, with just single figure weeks left to go, will they damage their launch sales?

Comment

If their launch lineup is stellar then holding out on this concrete info will damage their sales. If they have basicaly f' all then it will improve their sales by not telling anyone that this is the case. From this we can deduce...

Comment

I think this launch for both will go down as one of the most bizarre events in recent gaming history...

It is incredible to think how close we're getting to launch and nothing has been confirmed. It's pretty obvious the game of chicken is in full effect where pricing is concerned but now it's getting damaging to the consumer.

I mean MS have literally gone radio silence with zero gameplay videos (when they were supposed to have an August showcase) and zero hardware updates even though we've heard of the Series S...

About the only thing we do know there is what the new dashboard UI is looking like, which is actually good.

For Sony we've heard of the preorders email but again no price and a vague "based on your PlayStation history" or words to that effect...

So you're preordering something with no price and no guarantee. A bit cheeky but I think it's their way of being able to prolong that game of chicken a bit longer.

As a consumer though we're out of the loop and the last thing considered right now. A bit frustrating.

I'll be getting an XSX (if I can) as I have the MS credit to pay for it already. I'm tempted by the PS5 but reality is I'm sure I won't even get a look in till next year so little point trying.

Worst console launches ever?

Comment

Unless Series S isn;t coming out till 2021 I don't get why MS hasn't revealed it yet given Sony has already revealed both its SKU's

Comment

Leaving the launch info so late isn’t going to harm sales. Early adopters have been waiting to place their orders so will have money available. And look at how Apple launches new products. Most of the time their iThings go on sale that day.
                              I am beginning to suspect this lack of info regarding the new console launches isn’t the cat and mouse game fanboys are imaging it’s just that there’s very little software to support the new systems. And the pandemic must have affected the supply chain.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. I think both machines will sell well at launch regardless - there is a ton of pent up demand for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X