User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    and if you have a 'sharpness' option, turn it up to max. That should increase sharpness/clarity
    that’s going cause excessive ringing and a very, very wonky looking image....

Quote Originally Posted by dvdx2 View Post
    thatís going cause excessive ringing and a very, very wonky looking image....
    I've noticed on LCD televisions that the image is way too soft when 'sharpness' is low. You need to have it at least 50%. But on LCD monitors, I can go below 50% sharpness and it looks fine. My current monitor is at zero sharpness. Televisions seem to be calibrated differently to monitors. One television I have needs 100% sharpness, because you can see the image is strangely soft without it -- especially when using Scart.

Having monitors set to 100% sharpness definitely causes "ringing" and other issues.

If you want a sharp image and no (or at least, very little) lag you're going to need a Framemeister or an OSSC. Neither are cheap options, but if you're serious about the Saturn, they're worth the money. The cheap £30 SCART to HDMI upscaler boxes you can buy on Amazon and eBay are abysmal. They treat the input as 480i which causes some nasty artefacting, and the amount of lag they introduce is completely game breaking.

OSSC +1

Really essential for a Retro gamer today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    OSSC +1

Really essential for a Retro gamer today.

Agree.

I love my OSSC

Last edited by RetrogamerX; 10-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Mmm, I must be doing something wrong. I got an OSSC for Christmas last year and I was disappointed when I plugged my Saturn into it. I really couldn’t see that much difference from plugging the Saturn straight into my Panasonic LCD TV. To be fair, I haven’t changed any of the settings on the OSSC, it’s as it was straight out the box. I’m also using a cheap RGB Scart cable. Should I be investing £20-£30 on a new cable? Would it make that much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Critic View Post
    Mmm, I must be doing something wrong. I got an OSSC for Christmas last year and I was disappointed when I plugged my Saturn into it. I really couldn’t see that much difference from plugging the Saturn straight into my Panasonic LCD TV. To be fair, I haven’t changed any of the settings on the OSSC, it’s as it was straight out the box. I’m also using a cheap RGB Scart cable. Should I be investing £20-£30 on a new cable? Would it make that much of a difference?
    The thing is, part of the reason to have those boxes like the OSSC isn't that all modern TVs give a bad picture for retro consoles (especially early 3D era consoles); it's more that the picture quality is highly variable depending on the telly. You might have one of the ones which gives a result you personally find acceptable.

Speaking personally, I run my PS2 through my Panasonic 1080p LCD from ~2012 via a component cable, and while I know it could be better, I'm happy with the quality I get given the amount I use it. That being said, if I was going to go down the route of a Saturn, I would probably get an OSSC... Which is actually one of the things stopping me due to the expense.

I suppose. I have my PS2 straight into the same telly via component and the picture is great. Maybe I was expecting too much for the Saturn, I might buy a better cable to see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Critic View Post
    To be fair, I haven’t changed any of the settings on the OSSC,
    I think creating a 'CRT' style effect on an LCD is why lots of people buy an OSSC or Framemeister. So upscaling the image 3-5 times to get a nice amount of clarity, then adding 'scanlines' delivers a very CRT-esque image. Adjusting the scanlines(the OSSC now has 'hybrid scanlines') is important to make sure they look reasonably authentic, or just how you like them.

If you don't want to add scanlines, then you'll probably think the image doesn't look overly different to just plugging a console directly into the television. It will just have a bit more clarity and sharpness with a decent scaler.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.