Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sega Saturn: Advice on getting a decent picture on my HD TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmm, I must be doing something wrong. I got an OSSC for Christmas last year and I was disappointed when I plugged my Saturn into it. I really couldn’t see that much difference from plugging the Saturn straight into my Panasonic LCD TV. To be fair, I haven’t changed any of the settings on the OSSC, it’s as it was straight out the box. I’m also using a cheap RGB Scart cable. Should I be investing £20-£30 on a new cable? Would it make that much of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
      Mmm, I must be doing something wrong. I got an OSSC for Christmas last year and I was disappointed when I plugged my Saturn into it. I really couldn’t see that much difference from plugging the Saturn straight into my Panasonic LCD TV. To be fair, I haven’t changed any of the settings on the OSSC, it’s as it was straight out the box. I’m also using a cheap RGB Scart cable. Should I be investing £20-£30 on a new cable? Would it make that much of a difference?
      The thing is, part of the reason to have those boxes like the OSSC isn't that all modern TVs give a bad picture for retro consoles (especially early 3D era consoles); it's more that the picture quality is highly variable depending on the telly. You might have one of the ones which gives a result you personally find acceptable.

Speaking personally, I run my PS2 through my Panasonic 1080p LCD from ~2012 via a component cable, and while I know it could be better, I'm happy with the quality I get given the amount I use it. That being said, if I was going to go down the route of a Saturn, I would probably get an OSSC... Which is actually one of the things stopping me due to the expense.

Comment

I suppose. I have my PS2 straight into the same telly via component and the picture is great. Maybe I was expecting too much for the Saturn, I might buy a better cable to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

To be fair, I haven’t changed any of the settings on the OSSC,
          I think creating a 'CRT' style effect on an LCD is why lots of people buy an OSSC or Framemeister. So upscaling the image 3-5 times to get a nice amount of clarity, then adding 'scanlines' delivers a very CRT-esque image. Adjusting the scanlines(the OSSC now has 'hybrid scanlines') is important to make sure they look reasonably authentic, or just how you like them.

If you don't want to add scanlines, then you'll probably think the image doesn't look overly different to just plugging a console directly into the television. It will just have a bit more clarity and sharpness with a decent scaler.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-11-2019, 14:14.

Comment

I use a Framemeister and a custom RGB cable both supplied by [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]. Amazing picture on my 55 inch LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
              I use a Framemeister and a custom RGB cable both supplied by @Yakumo. Amazing picture on my 55 inch LCD.
              Do you turn 'scanlines' on? I always think LCD screens don't do non-HD games justice, even upscaled. But when you turn on scanlines, the image suddenly looks much more attractive. I like to adjust the scanlines on the Framemeister to make them a bit less strong.

Same with the OSSC, which has had 'hybrid scanlines' for a while now. Looks really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                Do you turn 'scanlines' on? I always think LCD screens don't do non-HD games justice, even upscaled. But when you turn on scanlines, the image suddenly looks much more attractive. I like to adjust the scanlines on the Framemeister to make them a bit less strong.

Same with the OSSC, which has had 'hybrid scanlines' for a while now. Looks really nice.
                With the Saturn I do and it looks absolutely incredible.

Comment

I have a couple of the hdmi solutions. Upstairs in the living room (used for more casual gaming) I have the level hike. Although this was hard to find at the time. I see that pound now do one at games connection which I'm guessing will be more or less identical. This is fine for quick gaming blasts.then in the main games room in the basement I have the RAD2X cable from retro cables which offers a better image as it's a custom retrotink designed for one console. I also run this through the modern snake oil that is the mClassic.

Comment

It could well be the case your TV can correctly handled the Saturn via RGB Scart at low resolutions in which case a OSSC is pointless.

That said are you getting a picture quality like this on your TV, official Saturn RGB Scart via OSSC:

(Make sure the video is set to 1080p or higher)

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                      It could well be the case your TV can correctly handled the Saturn via RGB Scart at low resolutions in which case a OSSC is pointless.

That said are you getting a picture quality like this on your TV, official Saturn RGB Scart via OSSC:

(Make sure the video is set to 1080p or higher)
                      I don’t know about Armchair Critic’s TV, but my Panny 2012 plasma doesn’t feel far off that at all. It’s really a terrific RGB picture. Of course when I move to 4K I’ll need an OSSC.

Comment

Working...
                      X