No announcement yet.

Death Stranding - PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked it up again yesterday after a few weeks of rest, like Hudson been playing modern Warfare mostly.
    The new patch adds a increased text size which helps, ready to get back in it again this Christmas break

Comment

I've reached chapter 3 after 16 hours (late 2am sessions. I can't put my finger on it, but it's quite addictive.

I died for the first time because I didn't have enough anti BT items massive crater now!

Comment

I got to chap 3 too but gave up. There is a game in there somewhere but I couldn’t really find it. Very polished product though.

Comment

Chapter 3 is where it really begins expanding everything, that chapter is like 4-5 hours long, you get access to a lot more things that change how you deal with deliveries.

Comment

I haven't played it for weeks. I liked and disliked the chapter 3 effect. While it expands everything it also takes away some of the loneliness. I liked it more as a bleak hiking sim than a fleshed out world. I might go back to it at some point but I've lost a lot of momentum now

Comment

It's been a long time coming, I held off because I knew the PC version was on the way and so I've been crunching this hard for a bit now.
              It feels much like many of Kojima's non-MGS games, that they'd be better if he was less in charge. Having been resolutely let down by MGS5 it meant I was happy to wait to play this because the idea of another open world Kojima game was always a bit tough to swallow. In the end it's been better than I expected though I've not seen where the praise comes from. Visually it's just okay, some moments look good but a lot of the time it's a very dull and repetitive looking game, the game world is huge but by concept lacking in much worth looking at. Planning out your route and making your way to your objective works fine but to be honest the gameplay loop is too shallow and repetitive for the sheer length the game runs to. When things become a bit more linear narrative style the game becomes a bit more compelling but I find the more open, mission after mission runs in it to really become a chore.

Story wise, bit of a shrug too, it's not one of his best and none of the characters are that endearing. The main stand out has been the tale of Mama which I'd have enjoyed fully where it not for the sister element. The menu's though, sweet jesus is he terrible at them. They're convoluted in design for the sake of it, something that backs up the feeling that it's a simple game wrapped up in too much stuffing.

I'm going to stick it out as I'm far enough in to see the distant glimmer of the endgame on the horizon. I'm glad I played it post-hype though, it's very much in the 'okay' bracket.

Comment

Started playing this again after being inspired by the DS2 trailer. I'm playing in hour or so spurts. Doing a couple of deliveries at a time. It's such a great game. I love boosting around on my little trike! I reckon this is one of my games to play over the xmas period.

Comment

I liked working out multiple deliveries, building the roads and robbing the supplies for it, it had a collaborative effort to it much like a dark souls messages vibe that really gelled with me, never finished it, got right up to the end when it become all about the story/fighting. Is there a PS5 upgrade and it is free? might go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                    I liked working out multiple deliveries, building the roads and robbing the supplies for it, it had a collaborative effort to it much like a dark souls messages vibe that really gelled with me, never finished it, got right up to the end when it become all about the story/fighting. Is there a PS5 upgrade and it is free? might go back.
                    I have PS Plus Extra and it lets you play the Director's Cut which I believe is for PS5 (says it is, yes).

Comment

Death Stranding 2 is coming! I'm ready to start making deliveries again.

Comment

I'd recommend playing it on Very Hard. You can dial it back for the bosses, but it demands more planning of routes and use of all the tools. It feels much more how the game is meant to be played.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          I'd recommend playing it on Very Hard. You can dial it back for the bosses, but it demands more planning of routes and use of all the tools. It feels much more how the game is meant to be played.
                          (GULP!)

Comment

I've adored old Kojima MGS games but Death Stranding never appealed to me and the marmite reviews made me stay away.

However, I've completed several games over the past few months on PS5 and realised Death Stranding Directors Cut was in the sale and I felt now was the time. Been playing for around 15 hours since the beginning of this week and very mixed impressions.

The good are the graphics, sound and second to second gameplay; It looks and feels like a Ridley Scott film on acid, with exceptional production values and the second to second gameplay of traversal around the environment is really impressive. It's so impressive, you wish Kojima made a Helicopter Mountain Rescue game instead of this.

I feel that I'm coming up to the 20 hour mark and I'm really bored of the game and the story is absolute horse**** with some terrible writing. A character introducing himself as Die-Hard Man is an obvious high point, the idea he's waring a full face mask and no question is raised just made it more funny!

However, it shows you that the game has some draw as I've played up to now (Episode 3) but the fires are very much slowing for me. I may push on in the future but I need to chill and stop playing as I just can't go on right now. After re-playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 through the Trilogy collection and playing Mass Effect 3 for the first time (And loving it!) and then completing the brilliant Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding really falls badly when it compares to the other 4 games story, writing and acting.

But the world is still an impressive draw and Shinkawa's art is absolute top notch, as always, so maybe I'll revisit this world and feel a new burst of energy... Die-Hard Man.

Comment

I'm loving the PC port so much that I went and bought a Dual Sense for this one game. So glad I did, too. It utilises all of the gimmicks on the controller wonderfully.

The setting is brilliant. It's all like one big mellow nightmare that doesn't rush itself. The only outliers of the isolation being the messages left behind by other players.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 13-08-2023, 16:18.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION]! I also caved when I saw the directors cut on sale. I still have absolutely no idea about what this game is as I've intentionally steered clear of all media, reviews etc around it. I too am a massive MGS fan but for whatever reason I've not had any desire to pick this up previously.

Though I won't be booting this up anytime soon, I'm looking forward to playing it, sounds like the PS5 version is suitably impressive.

BTW not to derail the thread too much but how does the ME trilogy play on PS5? I've been eying up installing it since we got it free with PS Plus (and I too haven't played ME3 )

Comment

Working...
                                X